Would you like Alfa Romeo to be taken over? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Would you like Alfa Romeo to be taken over?
Yes 9 22.50%
No 18 45.00%
Not sure 13 32.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

DANQV2

Would you like Alfa Romeo to be taken over?

By another car company (whoever that may be) or stay and try to survive as they are!.?

Try another way to settle the pointless neverending debate..

Last edited by DANQV2; 18-05-12 at 13:20.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Perthshire

Member car:

non Alfa Romeo

I put not sure as the question says 'survive on their own'.

They are not, nor have they been on their own for quite some time and as far as I can see Fiat have not been overly successful in what they have tried to achieve with Alfa. Perhaps it might be desirable to let someone else have a go. Hence my 'not sure' vote.
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
If by anyone I would nominate Honda. They understand driver appeal, and have a bit of passion about them too. Imagine an Alfa with the engineering integrity of Honda
AO Member

County: -
Like it or not, but Alfa Romeo has no raison d'être outside of Italian (i.e. Fiat's) ownership, hence a clear "No" from me.
AO Silver Member

County: Wielkopolskie
No, please, no Asians.

Alfa aren't on their own for almost 30 years...
DANQV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radosuaf View Post
No, please, no Asians.

Alfa aren't on their own for almost 30 years...
FIXED!!

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
I'm not sure either. I'd want it to keep the Italian DNA (not the switch!) but they are limping along under FIAT who have never quite known what to do to maximise its values.

That said, they are at last starting to carve out a desirable and clearly defined niche for Maserati in the corporate hierarchy after decades of rudderless drifting.

I just don't know if they have the time or money to make the necessary impact in time, so in that sense I wouldn't mind a takeover if it was the right sort of owner. Not sure who though.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
Personally I reckon the best company to take over Alfa would be Tata. They have made Jaguar Land Rover a success by understanding what the key selling points and philosophies of each brand are and developing them.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
That said, they are at last starting to carve out a desirable and clearly defined niche for Maserati in the corporate hierarchy after decades of rudderless drifting.
Yes, it looks quite with Maserati. Not so with Lancia.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1750 Ti

Well I voted yes. But I guess the answer should've been maybe/not sure. Depends who and why. Like most of the others so far I have little confidence in FIAT. I think Italy is heavily exposed to the turmoil in the Eurozone and FIAT in particular looks like one of those big old establishment conglomerates that could be hit hard.
DANQV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by palexr View Post
I think Italy is heavily exposed to the turmoil in the Eurozone and FIAT in particular looks like one of those big old establishment conglomerates that could be hit hard.

i wont lie, this is worrying

AO Silver Member

FIAT in general looks bad. Compare Renault or PSA for example. The Renault can have anything from a Twingo to Megane RS, Laguna, coupes, cabrios, estates, you name it. PSA has the DS series, has C6, has RCZ.

PSA is successful in WRC, Renault in F1.

Fiat:
a/ estates? - no
b/ coupes? - no
c/ cabrios? - no
d/ big saloons? - no

After the death of Lancia and 159, you can't find any estate in the whole FGAs range... Everybody else has it.
DANQV2

Is the Giulietta Wagon still happening?

AO Member

Quote:
After the death of Lancia and 159, you can't find any estate in the whole FGAs range...
Well, there's always the "Lancia" Thema

Edit: Or hang on, that's perhaps a saloon, and not an estate...

Last edited by ritmo; 18-05-12 at 14:43.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANQV2 View Post
Is the Giulietta Wagon still happening?

Supposedly according to AR it was never happening & was just another rumour, do a search for the post containing the AR quote/statement.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

I say no. what needs to happen is for Fiat to loosen the rains and let Alfa do what they do best. Much as I like the Giullieta and Mito, they aren't from the same passion as the 156, 147 GT, Spiders etc.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
I voted not sure. As it stands & after seeing the tragedy that is current Alfa Romeo at the Mille Miglia I'd say yes, for sure, please VW buy the dying animal that is AR.

But, if Fiat are willing to bring out new non rebadged Dodges quickly, I'd be happier but that's not going to happen so it's a case of sell it or the brand will die
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
I find this all very depressing as I never had any real problems with the last that Lancia offered, and none that were really concerning with FIAT's.

So maybe it's got somehow to be sorted in a very positive fashion so that all of Joe Public says great machine the Alfa I've got,but how to turn that corner I've no idea.:
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
do i want AR to be taken over? it really depends on what the alternative is.

if one option is for fiat to invest properly in new models for AR then no, i don't want them to be taken over. but if the other option is for fiat to just let alfa drift away into directionless oblivion with a 2 hatchback range then yes, i do want alfa to be taken over
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Quote:
FIAT in general looks bad. Compare Renault or PSA for example. The Renault can have anything from a Twingo to Megane RS, Laguna, coupes, cabrios, estates, you name it. PSA has the DS series, has C6, has RCZ.

PSA is successful in WRC, Renault in F1
Which Renault?
Quote:
Renault to cut model range | Parkers

Renault is set to drop five models from its line-up in the UK, including the entire Laguna range and relatively new Wind Roadster model.

Along with the Laguna Coupe, Sports Tourer, Hatchback and Wind Roadster; the Kangoo and Kangoo Compact Van, Espace, Grand Espace, Modus and Grand Modus will also be removed from the UK range.

With the reduction in models, Renault expects yearly sales to fall to around 51,000. This is a big drop compared to the total of 75,540 it expects to sell during 2011.

This cut will leave just the Clio, Twingo, Megane and Scenic ranges available for UK customers. The manufacturer also announced that it will be cutting its dealer network from 190 to around 135.
That Renault?
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
The difficulty is that Fiat just don't know where to go with the Alfa brand. Since Arese closed Alfa has had no "home".
Ferrari have Maranello and Maserati have Modena just as they did before any Fiat involvment and they are still dedicated sites to the brand. Fiat have Turin of course but in the last 8-10 years Alfa have been built at various Fiat plants or assembled at Pininfarina.
The developement costs of Ferrari or Maserati can to some degree be recouped by the high ticket price, (although that hasn't recently been the case with Maserati), whereas for Fiat to develop a new Alfa but still sell it at an affordable price in the mid sector means that it can only be via shared floor pans and components with the Fiat range.
Nothing new there I know, but you can see that they have no incentive to introduce new models into the Alfa range.
The 100 year celebrations were a real indicator of Fiat's stance of the situation as they had zero input into what should have been the marketing opportunity of a lifetime.
Bottom line, they are probably anxious to unload the Alfa brand but know that the true Alfisti would not want to buy a car that was not built in Italy even though the Milan connection is now long gone.
Other successful take-overs have meant that although ownership has changed, there is still production and assembly in the country of origin, the only way this could currently be achieved is via a shared deal with Fiat which would not be a clean break for the new owner.
The ideal scenario is that Fiat have several new Alfa projects "close to their chest" which they have yet to disclose, but I doubt this is the case.
If they have, they will probably be Fiat/Chrysler rebadging of various multi-air templates.
I can't really imagine another manufacturer being able to successfully revive the brand, but let's hope that somewhere, there is a positive future for the Alfa brand.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
The ideal scenario is that Fiat have several new Alfa projects "close to their chest" which they have yet to disclose, but I doubt this is the case.
Let's hope that's indeed the case...
AO Platinum Member

The above spam post probably makes more sense that Fiat's plans for Alfa
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
The above spam post probably makes more sense that Fiat's plans for Alfa
That's actually a leaked memo of Olivier François's plans for the Fiat brand

To wit: http://www.fiat.co.uk/500bygucci/Default.aspx
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmo View Post
That's actually a leaked memo of Olivier François's plans for the Fiat brand

To wit: Fiat 500byGucci | Special edition | Fiat UK
There was a spam post after yours about Gucci purses - that's what I was referring too.

Mod should have binned mine too!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
alfa , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page