motorway driving!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Are you a lane hogger
The inside lane is for lorries only 1 3.70%
I only use the inside lane 0 0%
I use all the lanes when traffic allows 20 74.07%
I use all lanes even that means undertaking, why shouldn't I??? 2 7.41%
I join the motorway and head straight for the outside lane, then dive accross to leave the motorway! 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 27-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Suffolk
motorway driving!!!

Are you a middle lane hogger, Be honest now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wrinx

Re: motorway driving!!!

Middle and fast lane for me.....the inside lane is dangerous, sends the car all over when hitting the lorry ruts.

But, have to drive the Matta in the inside lane so guess I use them all at some time.

....also started to undertake these days (becoming very popular)...too many muppets around

wrinx

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
Middle and fast lane for me.....the inside lane is dangerous, sends the car all over when hitting the lorry ruts.

But, have to drive the Matta in the inside lane so guess I use them all at some time.

....also started to undertake these days (becoming very popular)...too many muppets around

wrinx
In Japan the right lane is the fast lane and I am hardly ever out of it because there is hardly ever anyone going fast enough to want to get past me...
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

I use all the lanes, as long there's no traffic on the them.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I use all the lanes. I try not to undertake but sometimes do - only after giving someone loads of warning that I'm coming thru'.

Except for on the M8, where the whole motoring community uses the outside lane except for the od truck. (Only two lanes between Glasgow and Edinburgh - who's kidding who here?) Anyway, nobody seems to want to move back into the inside lane, so overtaking on the inside happens loads.
UnpredictableLips

I loathe middle lane sitters I'd love to have one of those LCD screens that the police 4x4s use, where instructions scroll across, such as 'PULL OVER'.
I'd have a selection of phrases, including :

'KEEP LEFT, @SSHOLE!'
'IT'S NOT FOGGY!'
'INADEQUATE CAR?'

@Fraser - do you know the bit of road where the M73 joins the M74 and runs alongside the landfill at Carmyle? That's notorious for people leaving the slip road and going immediately into the far right lane and staying there no matter what, because, two miles down the road, they'll be going right at the big roundabout.

Rant over...

- Lips

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnpredictableLips
That's notorious for people leaving the slip road and going immediately into the far right lane and staying there no matter what, because, two miles down the road, they'll be going right at the big roundabout.

Rant over...

- Lips

Oh, yes. But not an altogether uncommon trait in these parts, folk in the outside lane for miles coz they're turning right eventually.
AO Gold Member

County: -

I use all the lanes ...so called Undertaking legal here in Australia.

Over the years, I have noticed that each time I go to the UK, there appears to be more and more "undertaking" taking place.

In the UK, the inner lane is definitely not the place to be unless you like being the meat in a sandwich.
The middle lane can get rather exciting with all the Semi trailers and trucks (Lorrys) on the road weaving in and out of the left lane.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Middle lane hoggers are one of my pet hates

Mind you, my other half always moans about the amount of lane changing I do on the motorway (as I will always drive on the inside lane unless overtaking - and I do a lot of overtaking in the Alfa ).
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

If it's busy I'll sit in the outside lane, then pull into the middle and left hand lanes when I can. I can't think of a time when anyone's wanted to go faster than me so I don't tend to have anyone trying to get past me.

I have to admit I've started undertaking. Especially on the A31 where it is two lanes through the Forest before Ringwood. People just will not use the left hand lane.

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cloverleaf
Middle lane hoggers are one of my pet hates
..and mine! Why is it that so many of them will move over if you flash your lights at them? Is it the extra light which enables them to see that there's an empty lane to their left?

Another of my pet hates is the drivers who pull over into the right-hand lane of a two-lane motorway slip road & then refuse to accelerate......trying to merge into 70mph traffic at 50mph is not my idea of fun!

One the funniest middle-lane incidents I've ever seen was Christmas Day a few years ago, 9PM on the M1 just north of Northampton. I was doing my normal steady 80-ish in the left-hand lane of a deserted motorway, slowly gaining on a lone Transit van in the middle lane. When I was about 100 metres behind it, a Northants plod Volvo estate pulled out of a service area, caught up with the Transit, pulled across in front of it & switched on every light on the back of his car......that's the fastest lane change I've ever seen a Transit do!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Poll Room

Tags
driving , motorway

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page