YouGov survey, what would you put? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 14-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
YouGov survey, what would you put?

I have just finished completing a YouGov survey on employment, and I was wondering how you guys would answer.

The Question was what would you do if you didn't get a pay increase next year?

1) Look for another Higher paid job

2) Take an additional job, evening work etc..

3) Cut back on your spending

4) Work less hard next year but stay with current employer

5) Leave work and go on benefits, if it made financial sense.

Maybe a mod coul add the poll for me.

Last edited by symon; 14-11-11 at 09:54. Reason: Forgot to tick add poll box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
Hmmmmm. I would say have a tantrum but self employed!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
As a Civil Servant, I've been subject to a full pay freeze for a few years now. Our unions did get us a cost of living rise though.

Happy as long as it keeps jobs. Not happy about the other erosions on my long standing terms & conditions though
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 14-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Yeah, in a wey I am happy to have a job, but we haven't even had a cost of living rise for the last four years.

If you work out that inflation has averaged around 4% per year (At least ) over that time it isn't great.

It is quite depressing, especially as there are not many jobs to go to elsewhere.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Just like Divax2 I'm self employed to the money fluctuates anyway ...
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
this year has been the first incremental pay rise I have ever had.

Having wasted 15 years in engineering I have seen a skilled turners pay drop from around £11 per hour in 1995 when I left school, to £8 an hour 18 months ago when I left the profession for good. at the point of walking away I had just finished 2 years of evening school for CAD / CAM qualifications, having ploughed a couple of thousand pounds of my own money into the black hole. At the end of the course I got a 'congratulations' and a paper trail covered with distinction after distinction for absolutely nothing more than a 'thanks, bye'.

I hear people talking about a skills shortage in engineering, but despite being tome served, and with paper qualifications to degree level, there was absolutely nothing there, leaving me to take a 10,000 p/a pay cut to move into another profession (turners pay was made up from rapidly disappearing over time)

Be judged for the man you are, and the actions of your life, not the book you read or the statue you pray to.......

Never hold a grudge, its a sign of a small, petty person.
keithyboy

It's an interesting question.

I have a job which doesn't give me any transferable skills so looking for something higher paid outside is a non-starter.

Wifey and I both work in the public sector so are both subject to a pay freeze. However, my wife works in a bit of the public sector which offers annual increments so she has got a small pay rise this year (when is a pay freeze not a pay freeze?).

We have cut back on out spending as our income has been hit by losing our tax credits (which wasn't much but coupled with no pay increase and high inflation has been a bit of a pinch). At the moment we're only running one car. Next year we are both faced with a significant increase in pension contributions which will have to be funded from somewhere.

My wife has worked part time since we had kids so that they didn't spend 5 9 hour days at school/after school club each week. That isn't going to be sustainable for too much longer I don't think.

As for living on benefits, I wouldn't but I can see why people would. I know people who flog their tripe out for not much more than minimum wage and that they do is to their credit but I can understand the thought process of anyone who decides knackers to that.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Audi S6 5.2 V10

I don’t consider an annual pay increase to be my right (unlike most these days) so if I don’t get one in the new year just as I haven’t seen one in the last 3/4 years I may be a little disappointed but its not going to effect me in any way.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
I can thoroughly recommend retirement when it arrives? So glad I was a 1940's babe.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
i'm not arsed about an annual pay rise. sure it would be nice to automatically get one but i'd rather negotiate my salary directly, which is what i did in the summer. certainly feeling the pinch though, with our costs going up especially energy bills. we've cut our spending where we can and mrs al has started doing 4 days at work instead of 3.

what i certainly WOULDN'T do is have a great big tantrum about it and blame the govt, the greeks, the milkman, the boogie, whoever, for it. sometimes you've just got to get stuck in and accept that's just the way it is. going on strike about it helps nobody and compounds the problem for everybody

- Keepin' it moist -
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
That's right Al. And we are all relatively in the same boat, HMS Struggle.: Just hope things are brighter once we are out of these doldrums? Savings? What savings! :

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
put , survey , yougov

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page