Biggest work annoyance? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Biggest work annoyance?
Stupid managers 6 17.65%
Stupid customers 6 17.65%
Stupid co-workers 9 26.47%
Stupid deadlines 1 2.94%
Stupid equipment 1 2.94%
Stupid hours 5 14.71%
Stupid procedures 5 14.71%
Stupid sysadmin blocked AO ! 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 44 Old 16-11-04 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -
Hmmm Biggest work annoyance?

What's yours?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Re: Biggest work annoyance?

I voted hours, i have to be in at 8.30 every morning which means leaving at 7.30 cos of traffic. I don't get in til 6.15 ish, once i've eaten that's the whole bleedin day gone. No flexibility.
But, co workers playing music when i'm meant to be concentrating. The environment, sitting under unnatural lights straining my eyes to read the screen, having to deal with people who are blatantly passing germs around when they have colds etc.
Um... soz, thought this was the rant room

Stoopid co-workers. Ones I never meet or see either. Work for a large logistics company and pretty much daily see that somebody in some depot somewhere in Europe hasn't forwarded something on properly and as I'm based on site I'm directly in the firing line from the customer. Pain in the rump.
(Post Link) post #4 of 44 Old 16-11-04 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I go to 8.00 every morning and leave about 7.45 and sometimes 7.55 depending on the weather

I must say deadlines are stoopid, because I usually get the projects last minute, so I have to rush through'em, which I don't like!

The fact that they expect me to work at some point during the day whilst I'm here. How bloody unreasonable is that?

Stupid customers are my bug-bear but they do pay the wages and not ALL of them are stupid.

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Where's the Stupid Architects option???
AO Member

Member car:

155 2.0TS 16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM
Where's the Stupid Architects option???
Couldn't agree more.
How many times do they have to be told, "Yes we do need a plantroom" and "Yes this building does require services".
AO Member

Member car:

155 2.0TS 16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT
I voted hours, i have to be in at 8.30 every morning which means leaving at 7.30 cos of traffic. I don't get in til 6.15 ish, once i've eaten that's the whole bleedin day gone. No flexibility.
But, co workers playing music when i'm meant to be concentrating. The environment, sitting under unnatural lights straining my eyes to read the screen, having to deal with people who are blatantly passing germs around when they have colds etc.
Um... soz, thought this was the rant room
You are having a bad day
AO Silver Member

Working under artificial lights when I really would like to work in the brightness of the big outside., and then come 4pm I have to resort to a high intensity lamp.....and to really pee me off two bulbs not working in the car tonight, not withstanding the failure of the dash lights
But to the subject in hand Lighting
AO Silver Member

I hate it when I am writing a post for a forum and one stupid collegue enters your room for some annoying chit-chat, very disturbing
(Post Link) post #12 of 44 Old 18-11-04 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

So... no one hates managers, eh?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

I voted for stupid co-workers. I have an anorgasmic ugly ***** next to me who hasn't seen any joy between her legs for decades and all the rest colleagues we have to bare with her paranoia and schizophrenic behaviour

Zen

Kinda hard when I'm da boss...

(Post Link) post #15 of 44 Old 18-11-04 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Unless you hate yerself !!!

(sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon156
Stupid customers are my bug-bear but they do pay the wages and not ALL of them are stupid.
Sorry, your payroll department pay the wages. The customers are the source of the income to pay for it!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Most problems start from the managers. Speaking for my country of course. They

They endure (i m not sure if its the right word in english ) the stupid employees, they give raises to the wrong people, they suck the good employees blood. I had two great managers once, so I can compare with the rest of them. A good manager should be able to solve any problem that the employee cant, or guide appropriately the employees to solve it. He should be able to seperate the good employee from the bad one, and award only the good one. What I see happening in many companies here, is the managers putting all the work to the good employees and give raise to the bad ones. They dont seem to care for the work to be done correctly, just how their own bonus will be the largest possible. They dont seem to understand that when their department works perfectly, their own work is presented as a perfect one.
Not to mention that they dont know how the job is being done in detail.

Zen, what do you think about it ? Do you take care of the good ones, giving a motivation to the bad ones to improve themselves, or from a bosses point of view thats not important and we re missing the point ?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon156
Customers are often stupid and don't know what they want, but its the employee's duty to guide them appropriately and satisfy their needs. The customer's money is giving profit to the company, and if the company doesnt get profit, it cant pay the employees.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Mooney Re: Biggest work annoyance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasi
So... no one hates managers, eh?
I voted for stupid managers - IMHO, they have the single most effect on everything else.

I am a manager myself, and all problems I suffer are down to the actions of senior management coming up with unrealistic working hours/targets/conditions/etc.

All the rest is in my control.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomor
Most problems start from the managers. Speaking for my country of course. They endure (i m not sure if its the right word in english ) the stupid employees, they give raises to the wrong people, they suck the good employees blood. I had two great managers once, so I can compare with the rest of them. A good manager should be able to solve any problem that the employee cant, or guide appropriately the employees to solve it. He should be able to seperate the good employee from the bad one, and award only the good one. What I see happening in many companies here, is the managers putting all the work to the good employees and give raise to the bad ones. They dont seem to care for the work to be done correctly, just how their own bonus will be the largest possible. They dont seem to understand that when their department works perfectly, their own work is presented as a perfect one.
Not to mention that they dont know how the job is being done in detail.

Zen, what do you think about it ? Do you take care of the good ones, giving a motivation to the bad ones to improve themselves, or from a bosses point of view thats not important and we re missing the point ?

Spot on. In any language, in any country.
Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomor
Quite honestly, I would have to say that I try reward good work and discipline poor preformance. - I manage those who manage others, so I have the advantage of being able to lead by example. I have worked my way to the position I have from the bottom up, and understand the frustration of being 'mis-managed'

I read a book, which I think is available in most languages, although the principle is valid in almost any free market society, The One-Minute Manager which presents a method of management that I have found simple, yet very effective. The title is a bit deceptive, it took me years to really figure out how to use it

You could probably find it in the local bookstore or on amazon.com

Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardA
I am a manager myself, and all problems I suffer are down to the actions of senior management coming up with unrealistic working hours/targets/conditions/etc.

All the rest is in my control.

One primary belief in my company is that the Managers (including those wonderful EVP's and VP's sitting in their glass offices get to participate in what we call Eat what you cook...

What that means is that if they want to make an operational change, they need to sit down with the managers they control and actually DO what they propose. Not for just a day, but until the bugs get worked out.

It actually keeps the changes managable

AO Silver Member

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen
One primary belief in my company is that the Managers (including those wonderful EVP's and VP's sitting in their glass offices get to participate in what we call Eat what you cook...

What that means is that if they want to make an operational change, they need to sit down with the managers they control and actually DO what they propose. Not for just a day, but until the bugs get worked out.

It actually keeps the changes managable
For whom I work......the people introducing the procedures not only don't actually test them themselves, but in 90% of cases, they never used the one being phased out either.

Eat what you cook...

2 restaurants in my company, 1 for the senior managers, 1 for those who actually physically work

For those who have voted procedures.........who do think introduces them?
AO Silver Member

In my job (Police) we introduced a new computer system to try and cut down on the paperwork but what happened was that only a fraction of police stations got the computer and even in stations with the computer the paperwork stayed.
Now the arguements are about why the computer data does not match the paperwork or visa versa
(Post Link) post #25 of 44 Old 23-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

up

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Poll Room

Tags
annoyance , biggest , work

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page