AO Members: Chatty/Drivel Threads... merge or just close them? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: AO Members: Chatty/Drivel Threads merge or just close them?
Just simply close them. 15 51.72%
Merge them into the TCT. 5 17.24%
Other (sensible, workable solutions only please) 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 26-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

AO Members: Chatty/Drivel Threads... merge or just close them?

If a thread has been deemed to have become too chatty or has become drivel by whatever the measure that is used by the AO staff or individuals at that time online moderating, would you, a starter of or contributer to, wish for it to be merged into TCT (The Chat Thread, in WOT) or simply closed?

The rules state that "excessive" chat/drivel is not to be tolerated, which are the rules, but currently the situation is merging and that is as far as the remit of this poll goes. It's not to undermine the stated rules but perhaps a rethink on the procedure to deal with chat/drivel.

Positive constuctive way forward or as is comments/posts only please.

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't
trust coincidences." - Garak, DS9
So true
The BORED Collective ©™
WE are SpartaBORED! I was DarthBORED! I am FearBORED! :elaugh: I was PredatorBORED! I was PhantomBORED!...of the AO-Theatre I have been iBORED! TerminatorBORED! He'll be back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Re: AO Members: Chatty/Drivel Threads... merge or just close them?

I have a chat thread in my South West lounge, but I feel it shouldnt be merged in with othe Chat threads as it is a place for the people in my region to chat, catch up, and for new people to pop in and say hi. I think it is for the good of my region.

As with regard to other threads, I feel a Mod should step in if needs to be to remind people to stay on topic, but if it descends further into chat/drivel/off topic, to close or merge as seen fit.
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 26-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

My view, although I'm not entirely sure what the rules/procedures exactly are and far be it for it to be that transparent to me, I'd prefer closure than merger.

That way, at least I can find the thread, it's on topic posts and any banter/chat/drivel had therein rather than an impossible task of looking it up in TCT.
AO Platinum Member

A very good point, and probably much more workable than merger

Leave them as they are till they go dead then get rid of them..
paintergirl

I would rather have mine closed, nicely, than merged.

If merged they lose their independence as a standalone thread and become more meaningless.

This is especially sad if the thread started as, say, a tech enquiry and developed into drivel. The enquiry disappears if merged.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Hasn't the server been upgraded to take the extra 'traffic' ?

Leave them as they are, when people loose interest they'll fade away !!

The more threads we have, the higher up the 'Forum' league tables we are....

(But, shut the Bored thread)
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post

(But, shut the Bored thread)
Shut you down more like

Back on topic closure is better than merger IMO

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzon View Post
That way, at least I can find the thread, it's on topic posts and any banter/chat/drivel had therein rather than an impossible task of looking it up in TCT.
I don't normally have an opinion on this but if the Topic of the thread has been answered and then the thread degenerates into drivel it shouldn't be closed but off topic posts removed.

However, I think this should only apply to technical lounges, in the case of WOT and others it's more dificult to police as the function of the lounge is to BE off topic and threads tend to meander and form a life of their own which is what being part of a community is about.

As long as a WOT thread doesn't degenerate into mud slinging I see no reason for them to be merged.

I also think that a resolution to this would be the ability to IGNORE THREADS, I know I keep harping on about this but if you flag a thread as ignored then it wont be shown to you so you can't get all irate about it.

Every page you see on this site is the result of a search on a database, IMHO it's a relatively simple thing to add a variable toa usrs profile where the ID of the thread is the thing that is filtered on site searches.

But hey, that'd be too easy. no?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I don't normally have an opinion on this but if the Topic of the thread has been answered and then the thread degenerates into drivel it shouldn't be closed but off topic posts removed.
However, I think this should only apply to technical lounges, in the case of WOT and others it's more dificult to police as the function of the lounge is to BE off topic and threads tend to meander and form a life of their own which is what being part of a community is about.
As long as a WOT thread doesn't degenerate into mud slinging I see no reason for them to be merged.
I also think that a resolution to this would be the ability to IGNORE THREADS, I know I keep harping on about this but if you flag a thread as ignored then it wont be shown to you so you can't get all irate about it.
Every page you see on this site is the result of a search on a database, IMHO it's a relatively simple thing to add a variable toa usrs profile where the ID of the thread is the thing that is filtered on site searches.
But hey, that'd be too easy. no?
Some good points there GD

The so called 'drivel thread rules' were initiated as those type of threads were too hard for the Mods to police IIRC !!

IMO it was more due to a minority of people constantly harping on about certain threads they didn't like which involved a imaginary 'clique' of AOers that these people took exception to

The reason given was that they clogged up the first few pages of the forum and therefore relegate the 'Technical Lounge' threads to the third of fourth page !!

It's funny but I don't see any of these same people complaining about the first few pages of the forum now being clogged with Introduction threads

So to me that means the complaints were based on personal dislikes of other members - for what ever reason they may be in a virtual world (I believe you can't really judge a person until you've looked them in the eye) - and changes too hastily implemented to appease these complaints !!

AO is now supposedly 'a club' and therefore (IMO) the members should be involved/canvassed when changes like this are being discussed and before they are implemented !!

Also if the Mods can't cope why were more recruited

Were certain people who may be willing to do the job ignored due to the fact that it was thought that they would upset other forum members (The upset being caused by those forum members preconceptions of what or who others are without actually taking the time to get to know them )

Will these new rules - which IMO are detrimental to the longevity of the forum and the club - ever be looked at again and possibly revised for the greater good Who knows

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Nomes when I lay my vengeance upon you.
AO Bratpacker No1
D I L L I G A F
*Muppet Attack Mode Activated*

Why not offer a thread life for threads posted in certain lounges such as WOT, so any threads posted in WOT can have perhaps up to 6 weeks to run. - so the OP can specify how long he wishes for **** to be stirred...

So for instance....

I wish to open a thread advising AO that Nomad really is Mikey Pikey....discuss

I want the **** to fly for approximately 2 weeks....I can select 2 weeks on the box....

Or the other thing is to have a dead thread time in certain lounges where if no activity has happened after a set time, say 2 - 4 weeks, the thread could be automatically deleted.

This would mean that WOT and Rant threads have a shelf life...and all over topics can be left unchanged...

All pretty easy stuff if you're handy with the old laptop

Chris
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Why not offer a thread life for threads posted in certain lounges such as WOT, so any threads posted in WOT can have perhaps up to 6 weeks to run. - so the OP can specify how long he wishes for **** to be stirred...
Hmm good idea... so could threads be given the 'life options' that Polls are for instance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Hmm good idea... so could threads be given the 'life options' that Polls are for instance
Yep wouldn't be that much coding
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

From my perspective I find it an odd rule that an abusive thread or a thread that contains very obvious avoidance of the swear filter is usually locked and left on the board for all to see.

Whereas a chat/drivel thread is effectively deleted by being merged into The Chat Thread.

I would much prefer it was locked and a reason for locking posted.

It is the different approach to these two cases that has me perplexed.

I would have thought that offensive threads are the ones that need to be dealt with as a priority.

Whilst I accept that a Mods task is difficult (you didn't have to accept the task!) and in a situation where 'black and white' areas need to be differentiated, it is incumbent on Mods to be seen to be whiter than white. There are some very grey (gray) areas on here.

Last edited by GJ; 26-06-08 at 15:33. Reason: The last sentence didn't make much sense!
(Post Link) post #16 of 27 Old 26-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
From my perspective I find it an odd rule that an abusive thread or a thread that contains very obvious avoidance of the swear filter is usually locked and left on the board for all to see.

Whereas a chat/drivel thread is effectively deleted by being merged into The Chat Thread.

I would much prefer it was locked and a reason for locking posted.

It is the different approach to these two cases that has me perplexed.

I would have thought that offensive threads are the ones that need to be dealt with as a priority.
I am glad you made that point as I too have noticed this oddity.

Those who think the continued mergence into TCT is a good idea or acceptable one, if possible, could you say why?

I think the original reason for merging chat/drivel when the changes occurred was to encourage those who want to chat/drivel to do so in TCT. Any threads that were deemed to be for chat/drivel purposes only were merged, to encourage those to do this in the designated place. Nothing wrong with that.

However in the long term, this isn't working. You can't expect everyone to happily sit in a thread and have fun whether that be chat/drivel/banter. It's like gathering a group of people locking them in a room and saying "enjoy". WOT threads have a life of their own. Spontaneity is what I enjoy. A thread takes on a new life and twists and turns and that is what I love about this forum. Fine, I understand that chat/drivel/banter at times has to be limited to avoid the situation we had before, but please just lock them as throwing them into TCT is worse than actually just deleting them. Not that I agree with the idea of deletion as we might as well reflect the loss in post counts, for which I don't personally care about. Anyway, sometimes I go back to threads for reference purposes [sorry repeating myself now] or even just to relive the fun had in some. The latter of that might be seen as a tad strange to some but so what? I simply can not do this with threads merged into TCT.
AO Platinum Member

At the end of the day, the chat and drivel is going to fragment into threads like it used to. And I think it already is.
alfafamily

No suggestions but a few thoughts on this from me.
Closing them is not fair on people that obviously think they are the best thing about the forum so I can't see that being right.
Merging chat threads that are virtually identical in content and subscribed to by mainly the same people shouldn't be a cause for complaint but I can't see what good it would achieve.
I do wonder about some of the content of the threads when it does descend literally to drivel (as opposed to chat or banter) and its at that point when the post count thing rears its ugly head, upsets some members and causes debates like this one.
Its WOT, rant room and Polls that make AO unique among the car forums. Imagine what it would be like if it were just talk about cars all the time.

AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
Imagine what it would be like if it were just talk about cars all the time.
but thats all sad gets like me can do

Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

let them run their course like they do in EMOT unless its offensive of course in which case they should be deleted rather than just closed
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Vincent View Post
let them run their course like they do in EMOT unless its offensive of course in which case they should be deleted rather than just closed
I like offensive ones, gets people talking !!
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

I know you do H and a lot are closed because they are deemed offensive to maybe just one person and then others that are much....... Oh I can't be bothered I am off to bed! Laterzzzzz
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzon View Post
If a thread has been deemed to have become too chatty or has become drivel by whatever the measure that is used by the AO staff or individuals at that time online moderating, would you, a starter of or contributer to, wish for it to be merged into TCT (The Chat Thread, in WOT) or simply closed?

The rules state that "excessive" chat/drivel is not to be tolerated, which are the rules, but currently the situation is merging and that is as far as the remit of this poll goes. It's not to undermine the stated rules but perhaps a rethink on the procedure to deal with chat/drivel.

Positive constuctive way forward or as is comments/posts only please.
I've voted other, becuase to be honest I don't know what's best. I used to contribute to some of the 'story' threads myself, but I nust confess I found there were too many, and it all seemed to become a bit pointless. Merging them seems a good idea, but then if the original poster wants the thread to close maybe it should...
mikebrown

merge....

(Post Link) post #25 of 27 Old 29-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrown View Post
merge....
I agree, any post like this should be merged.

It's hardly like you'd ever want to find/refer/enjoy reading it again

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
chatty or drivel , close , members , merge , threads

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page