The French Mistake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: The French Mistake - Have you owned a French car? If so what was it like?
Worse than a dose of the [email protected] 6 10.53%
Worse than James Blunt album 11 19.30%
Gallic Shrug 12 21.05%
C'est bon 21 36.84%
C'est fantastique! 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 53 Old 03-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

The French Mistake

The 'know-alls' say that French cars are crap. Have you owned one, if so what's you experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: The French Mistake

Citroen ZX Volcane.

The less stealworthy of the 1.9i
PSA engined French cars.
(Well I was living in Manchester )

I liked it but it was the most
unreliable car I ever owned.

Dodgy engine electrics (connectors)
2 alternators
1 regulator
1 PAS pump
1 wiring loom O/C fix
Radiator hose assembly replacement
Had to fix the IR keyfob myself

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Ain't owned one (thank God)
nivens

Renault Megane then a Clio, both had random odd electrical gremlins, starter problems mostly, then both suffered head gasket failure around the 70k mark. They were lively enough cars, decent fun to throw about so I'd buy again but only as a cheap short term measure that I knew I was going to kill

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Haven't had the pleasure to own one probably never will
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Last edited by 156Chris; 10-12-08 at 14:29.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

I had a Renault 17 Gordini way back in the mid 70s, and it was excellent indeed. Had a few problems with the Fuel Injection system, but overall it was a pleasure to own and drive, had a lot of electric toys for the time too.......
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Nineteen year old 205 Pug still chugs around, s'alright, sort of French I reckon?: Nearly bought whatever the bigger version of Pugeots, were back in 1960 in BAOR, but finally chose a Merc instead.:
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Sort of. MrsJim had an AX GT in the early 90's, bought used. Dreadful build quality and frequent electrical problems with the central locking which tended to jam the hatch, but it was mechanically reliable and a hoot to drive, didn't cost much to run.

She has a Picasso now 6 y-o, from new. Cheap to buy, loads of room, it was great for the dog and TBH we don't look after it terribly well. Again not great build quality, squeaky dash comes and goes, awful driving position for me ( I rarely drive it). Some minor elecrical gremlins such as the known-fault with the digital fuel gauge which never reads full. But it has been a reliable drudge. One flat battery I think is the only failure to start.

Sis had £250-worth of 1.0 Pug 205 for about 5 years when she was struggling to get back on her feet after her hubby did a runner back to mummy. Usual tinny build etc and scarily gutless to drive, but apart from about £100 of welding and some brakes and an exhaust I don't think she spent another £200 over the next 5 years and she got her £250 back when she sold it. Can't knock that. She loved it.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
PAJ
AO Silver Member

Garage

My 1st car was a Pug 205. It was quite unreliable (wouldn't start in the damp, electrical problems, bits of trim kept coming off etc), but looked good (at the time) and drove pretty well. But this was a long time ago (late 80s) so I really shouldn't criticise Peugeot based on that - it'd be like these people who criticise Alfas for rust, based on an experience 25 years ago.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Pug 104....had it temporarily as a run around after I crashed my Sud ...had the smallest rev counter I've ever seen in a car....and the only car I've ever owned that had refused to start...many times....should have stuck to my bike
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

The car i had before the GTA was a 98 406 SV V6 manual. Great car! my first proper luxury cruiser. changed the exhaust and lowered it with eibach springs. Brakes were a little costly to replace and it did run a little warm but other than that it was a great car. I will miss its noise and handling.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

i've had a laguna, a saxo and a puegeot 307. laguna was just dull, saxo was a bit crap & not overly reliable, pug was an absolute dog. we only kept it a year before getting fed up with it and firing it off in favour of a focus
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

My brother had a Peugeot 405 SRi a few years ago. it was ok nothing outstanding though. My Grandad had a Citroen ZX at around the same time and it was forever going wrong.

So Gallic shrug for me.

By the way the options on the poll are in the wrong order. A James Blunt Album is worse than a dose of the clap. (Not that I have ever had the clap..)
Rosso145

Never owned a French car, but I'd rather have a dose of the clap than a James Blunt album.

AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Garage

Member car:

156 Gta Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso145 View Post
Never owned a French car, but I'd rather have a dose of the clap than a James Blunt album.
I heard you have both
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Had a T reg 1.4 RT clio as a second car/runaround,(2yr old)never had any problems with it in 3yrs I owned it,engine was a bit whiney sometimes,but nippy enough for town and descent on m-ways.Comfy enough for the money,and had no issues at all.

Anyone who thinks all French cars are crap has never driven a decent one. I had a GTi6 a few years ago and its still one of the Quickest, best handling, confidence inspiring cars i have ever driven. I believe the 106 is also well regarded in this sense.

Also it never went wrong and like most Peugeot's rust is not an issue. If i had to moan about anything it would be the interior which was quite pleasant but tended to come away in your hands!
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Had a Megane 1.6 eRT.

Fully loaded with all the electric toys and it weighted less than 1000Kg so was lively enough with only 90-odd BHP.

Reliability was never an issue and it could top 60mpg.

Superb all round car. Just a bit bland.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Just done the pre-MoT stuff on the Pug, so if she passes fair enough, after nineteen years of slogging.: If she fails,and needs big bucks spending on her, well sorry Gertrude, knackers yard. Doesn't owe us a brass farthing, but Shss! she may be replaced with a wee Fiat, after I have bid up on HM's GT, and assuming the 147 sells. Don't tell Gertrude about this, she may get' huffie' or summat'
AO Silver Member

ive had 3, my first car was an e reg renault 5 tl, very basic, faded red paint, had it for 5 years, loved it as it was my first car.

i then replaced it with a renault 5 gt turbo, which was an awsome car, not overly reliable and was a bugger to start when warm, i loved it, absolute hoot to drive and way way quicker than my mates pug 205 gti. and also much quicker than a bmw 328 to 100mph

i also had a citroen BX Gti, which cost me 200 and was a heap of junk, but very quick(pug 205gti engine) and the suspension was amazing.

not sure id ever buy another french car, none of the current ones interest me enough to buy one, although big citroens are mad as a box of frogs.

id love the old citroen with the maserati engine, the DS i think. mad car with a mad engine.
AO Silver Member

Garage

2 peugot's, a 1.4 205 owned for 4 years nothing ever went wrong the only costs were servicing (easy enough to do at home) and tyres. sold it with 114K miles on the clock and bought a 306 1.6 (still have it 6 years later, it's had an exaust, a battery, rear disks and a faulty connecter behind the front bumper (£375 diagnosis and repair largest bill so far). Cam belt @ 70K miles and 7years.
I wouldn't buy one that was built after about 2000 but the 2 I've had were brilliant cars, Drove and handled very well and for there engine size/power the have exellent emission figures as well.

156 2.0 jts Lusso Sportwagon,Vela Blue,Tan Leather, Bose.(Gone)
GTV 3.0 V6 24v Lusso, Rosso Red, Black Leather. (Gone)
Giulietta Cloverleaf 1750tbi, 8C Competizione Rosso, Black heated Leather, Bose
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Modus 1.4

Our Renault has given about a tenth of the problems compared to the Alfa.
Clutch shudder being fixed under Warranty.

Currently the Alfa has cost me more in repairs than what I paid for it.

Last edited by Gilbertr14; 06-05-08 at 16:29.
(Post Link) post #24 of 53 Old 05-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

So, one or two surprises!
HSTDriver

Pug 106 quiksilver, which handled fantastically and was pretty nippy, although started to have annoying niggly issues at the end of my ownership.
And the missus currently has a 306 estate, which has (touch wood) been the epitome of reliable motoring, and eats motorway miles without batting an eyelid.

C'est Bon....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
french , mistake

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page