Will he stay or will he go? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Will Max Be sacked
No 12 25.00%
Yes 17 35.42%
Don't care 15 31.25%
Who's Max Mosley 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 2,263
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

Ok lets start by saying that he never intended for anyone to see it. Its not like he went out of his way to make his kicks public knowledge. I for one dont think he should be sacked over it. If people have been offended by an old man getting his rocks off by being whipped while dressed as a Nazi then they should go after the people that leaked it. What anyone does in private should not affect what they do for a living. I dont care what the history of his family is, he wasnt hurting anyone and he probably paid a lot of money.
Alfaspeed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Cultural Attache
AO Silver Member
 
David Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,900
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
Ok lets start by saying that he never intended for anyone to see it. Its not like he went out of his way to make his kicks public knowledge. I for one dont think he should be sacked over it. If people have been offended by an old man getting his rocks off by being whipped while dressed as a Nazi then they should go after the people that leaked it. What anyone does in private should not affect what they do for a living. I dont care what the history of his family is, he wasnt hurting anyone and he probably paid a lot of money.

I think you should care about his family history.

Britain stood alone through part of WW2 against the worst tyranny imaginable. Millions lost their lives in perhaps the only war that was truly between the forces of good and evil.

Everyone has a right not to be tainted by the sins of their fathers, but that is done by disassociating with such views, not acting out concentration camp scenes.
David Jarrett is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Alfaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 2,263
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
I think you should care about his family history.

Britain stood alone through part of WW2 against the worst tyranny imaginable. Millions lost their lives in perhaps the only war that was truly between the forces of good and evil.

Everyone has a right not to be tainted by the sins of their fathers, but that is done by disassociating with such views, not acting out concentration camp scenes.
Nope sorry mate, not bothered. I lost family in WW2 as did most people, but it was a war, and in war there are deaths and there are crimes, and generally nasty behaviour. I'm not shocked by that. And yes, Hitler was a nutter but there have been others and there will be more. I dont see the need to dwell in the past, crying over a war. Since when have wars been nice things? And yes there were a lot of persecuted people but there are more across the world now that our time would be better spent concentrating on.

It seems people have forgotten that the Allies weren't all goody 2 shoes during that time, and tend to just act like martrs. I'm all for remembering the dead, but this is ancient history...awful as it was, and if some old bloke gets his kicks from dressing up as a Nazi then who am i to say he cant?

Roast me if you like but this is something i feel strongly about. We spend too much time looking backwards while people right in front of us are in need of our help. Its time to look at what is going on around us now and act on that.

Ok, rant over.
Alfaspeed is offline  
Status: Cultural Attache
AO Silver Member
 
David Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,900
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
Nope sorry mate, not bothered. I lost family in WW2 as did most people, but it was a war, and in war there are deaths and there are crimes, and generally nasty behaviour. I'm not shocked by that. And yes, Hitler was a nutter but there have been others and there will be more. I dont see the need to dwell in the past, crying over a war. Since when have wars been nice things? And yes there were a lot of persecuted people but there are more across the world now that our time would be better spent concentrating on.

It seems people have forgotten that the Allies weren't all goody 2 shoes during that time, and tend to just act like martrs. I'm all for remembering the dead, but this is ancient history...awful as it was, and if some old bloke gets his kicks from dressing up as a Nazi then who am i to say he cant?

Roast me if you like but this is something i feel strongly about. We spend too much time looking backwards while people right in front of us are in need of our help. Its time to look at what is going on around us now and act on that.

Ok, rant over.
Firstly, the holocaust and the dropping of the atomic bomb probably defined the C20th, a century we are only 8 years out of. Its history sure, but its not really ancient history...is it?

Secondly, I didn't say WW2 was a nice thing, but it was a necessary thing. If you were jewish, or black, or a gypsy, or disabled your destiny was extermination on an industrial scale.

Thirdly, you forget history at you peril. Of course its those suffering now that need our help, but to imply that the slavery, or persecution or genocide of the past is best now forgetten is sending out one hell of a message to tomorrows tyrant.

Why not do both?

Rant over
David Jarrett is offline  
Status: Alfa infected
AO Gold Member
 
purple145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 7,115
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

either way it will liven up Martin Brundle's grid walk at Monaco if he sees him.
purple145 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
LordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Switzerland
County: Vaud
Posts: 160
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

He should have gone as soon as the story broke.

Anyone in an equivalent position in a properly regulated business rather than the gentlemens' club that is motorsport would have gone within days for the good of their industry.

The manipulation of the discussion and vote at FIA level towards whether the way the story was obtained legally or not, and so glossing over the question whether such a person should be representing all us motorists on the world stage, is absolutely disgusting but exactly as expected.

Whether what he was doing, or the manner in which the story broke, was legal or illegal is totally irrelevant. There seems to be failure to recognise that dignity and morals have higher priority in most peoples' minds than discussions over legality. The desperate clinging to power is a poor, but appropriate, reflection on the current state of governance of motorsport.

I worry that the time it will take for any sort of decision to be made, the lack of conviction of the main member organisations (not least the British MSA), the appointment of "independent" lawyers and investigators to complicate matters will mean the whole thing just becomes another administrative farce. It will bring down the reputation of the whole organisation, when it should just ruin one man.

Last edited by LordK; 18-05-08 at 20:12.
LordK is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Nicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 3,269
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

Not long now 'til decision time

Quote:
autosport.com - F1 News: Mosley's fate to be decided in Paris
Although media will not be allowed inside, a verdict is expected to be published around lunchtime - declaring an outcome and a share of the vote.
Nicky is offline  
Status: 159 Hunted......
AO Platinum Member
 
dpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 32,440
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

he won
dpat is offline  
Status: Molto felice
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Gibbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 54,872
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

And the arrogance that got him to the post in the first place will prevent him from acknowledging the harm he has done to the office. So he'll stay even though it is crystal clear that he should go for the good of the organisation.

Sorry to say this outcome falls in line with my original prediction.

I really wanted to be wrong this time



Gibbo is offline  
(Post Link) post #35 of 36 Old 04-06-08 Thread Starter
Status: So good I did it thrice
Newbie
 
PC7671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: A4074
Posts: 2,083
Garage
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

I agree, it's all about self interest and nothing to do with right and wrong.
PC7671 is offline  
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will he stay or will he go?

I find the tobacco advertising that still goes on in the Sport more 'disgusting' than what he's been getting up to.

Is he good at the job?
 
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Poll Room

Tags
stay

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome