Modified, or Standard? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Modified, or standard?
Modified 21 56.76%
Standard 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

HSTDriver

Modified, or Standard?

A few posts over the months i've been on AO have got me thinking. Some people love to leave their cars standard, and aren't too keen on an individual putting his/her mark on a what they see as a perfectly good car.
Others think that there's always room for improvement when a car leaves the factory, and want to spend their time and money modding their car to their own tastes or needs
So which side of the fence are you on? Modified, or Standard? Not just talking Alfas here, but all marques.

Ok, no 'other' option here so I'm deliberatly polarising people, and not allowing fence sitting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Modified, or Standard?

I'll position myself where I consider it to be more comfortable,keeping it pretty much original. If I could modify/improve on the limitations, for example, fit a more durable and longer lasting camshaft drive train, more robust power unit, less attention seeking suspension system, anything in fact to improve the reliability factor then I would. But I can't!

So, she is more or less as she left the factory, and believe it or not she has not been that problematic, so far anyway.: Would love to have built myself a Vanquish from scratch,(no mods.: ) but I'm not able to. :
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I don't see a problem with mechanical mods or improvements, such as stainless exhausts, remaps, cams, brakes supension etc.. Styling mods are another matter, there is not a lot you can do to most Alfa's to impove the looks IMO. I would limit it to Alfa factory options like skirts, or bigger wheels from other Alfa models.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Voted
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Got to be modified. The original 145/146/155/156/147 was built by the accountants as much as the designers, there's a lot that can be improved. Just a set of 17"s of the later model 156/147/GT does so much to improve the look, as well as a slight bit of lower (especially on the 147 with its standard 'Tonka' suspension! )
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

It all depends on the use of the car for me...

The S4 Spider should be kept as near original as possible.... but then again I've got a momo steering wheel with matching gearknob and handbrake ... and I'm thinking about new carpets and interior trim.. So that's all about posing I guess..

As for remaps etc for a more modern car... I don't think it's worth the money unless you use it on track days.

i love my 147 standard i would feel awfull modifieng it with after market parts i am no boy racer at all i think the cars speak for themselves and have often parked next to more expensive cars like audi and bmw and find them tasteless to look at i doy buy luxuries for it but i keep it all alfa romeo for the gearstick and the handbrake ooh and the pedals same with the bodykit all bought from alfa i will always keep my alfa alloys even the next set will be alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I don't see a problem with mechanical mods or improvements, such as stainless exhausts, remaps, cams, brakes supension etc.. Styling mods are another matter, there is not a lot you can do to most Alfa's to impove the looks IMO. I would limit it to Alfa factory options like skirts, or bigger wheels from other Alfa models.
Totally agree. I've yet to see a set of alloy wheels on on alfa which look better than wheels which were originally destined to be on nothing but an alfa.
AO Platinum Member

Modified and it was worth it.

Only subtle things.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Again any comfort and performance mod is fine but leave the body alone unless its a specific kit, have seen a few 166's with side skirts and looking good with it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Outwardly standard but not adverse to maps, brakes & diffs
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I am with most posters above, change some of the inner workings but leave the looks mostly untouched
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I am with most posters above, change some of the inner workings but leave the looks mostly untouched
I think most people would agree that none of the recent Alfa's are perfect straight from the factory. But looks-wise, they are close
AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

Yeah there's always room for improvement I think.

You have to remember that mass production cars are built to a cost - so generally there is room for improvement (and the subsequent loss of a chunk of money).

However modifying the looks - not unless its really subtle.
I hate Lexus lights, M3 mirrors and stupid stupid body kits.
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Its all down to personal choice - I prefer to keep my cars as standard, the upgrades I would think about are stereo and wheels.

Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

Every car needs to have a little tweak, even if it's just the headlight bulbs, personally though Alfas don't need more than a filter and some fluffy dice.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Totally agree, most Alfa's look great as they are. A few exceptions, Alfa 90 and Arna, certainly didn't do it for me.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
A few posts over the months i've been on AO have got me thinking. Some people love to leave their cars standard, and aren't too keen on an individual putting his/her mark on a what they see as a perfectly good car.
Others think that there's always room for improvement when a car leaves the factory, and want to spend their time and money modding their car to their own tastes or needs
So which side of the fence are you on? Modified, or Standard? Not just talking Alfas here, but all marques.

Ok, no 'other' option here so I'm deliberatly polarising people, and not allowing fence sitting.

I have no problem people doing what they like to their cars, but what tends to happen is people post a thread saying "What do you think to my new carbon effect neon diffuser" and when they get honest replies saying it looks crapola they get upset and then decide there is a "them" and "us" camp.

The other thing that's a little odd is that modifiers who claim they want to make their cars look different all carry out the same mods....

There used to be a guy on here called Wisrute from Singapore (I think! ) and the photos he used to show of his and his mate's modified cars were absolutely superb - subtle, well thought out and enhancing the original style of the car as opposed to just some quick and easy bolt on thing. The Japanese are tasteful Alfa modders as well.
Dibby

Everyone's got their own philosophy. Some people like Japanese cars that look like Airfix kits of Darth Vaders helmet with christmas tree lights and wings. Others like a blueprinted classic with gleaming chrome and original parts. Horses for courses really.

Me, I still think there's room for slight improvements once a car leaves the factory. All engineers, designers, stylists etc that are responsible for building a car have to stick to budgets and inevtiably, certain components will be compromised. Nothing is perfect in engineering, designs I send out can be improved upon but we don't have the budget to fine tune everything to 100% of its capacity and fit gold-plated, diamond encrusted knobs and buttons to a control panel no-one that will be visited once every 6 months.

Orange side repeaters on a black car look out of place so I replaced mine with black ones. Also replaced the standard aerial with a stubby one and had a remap put through the engine. The 147 looks like it needs to be lowered - too much showing between the wheels and the arches, especially at the rear but that's a job for when the suspension needs doing. I think Alfa have done a better job than most manufacturers to make a car look 'good' with their choice of materials and curves in the car but I still think it can be improved.

I don't see the point of replacing parts for the sake if it. When something breaks, uprate it instead of replacing perfectly good parts with better ones. After all, 99% of us will never take the Alfa on a track and adjustable suspension is lost on the road. Would like to change the 16" alloys for 17s but can't justify throwing away a perfectly good set of wheels and tyres for the hell of it.

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Outwardly standard but not adverse to maps, brakes & diffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM155 View Post
Yeah there's always room for improvement I think.

You have to remember that mass production cars are built to a cost - so generally there is room for improvement (and the subsequent loss of a chunk of money).

However modifying the looks - not unless its really subtle.
I hate Lexus lights, M3 mirrors and stupid stupid body kits.
What you both said. If I had the money I would change to a Q2 diff (which I will), uprate the suspension and brakes.

In my opinion any external alteration always just looks like someone has been to halfords and flicked through the ripspeed catalogue.

AO Silver Member

Standard standard standard.

if you dont like the way the car looks, why buy it?

trying to be an individual by sticking crappy bit of plastic all over your car is bunkum, if you want to be an individual why buy the same car as millions of other 17yr olds

but even car manufacturers ruin their cars with silly spoilers and skirts.

the only mods ive done to mine is a different exhaust tailpipe, but thats more down to the difficulties of finding an exhaust for the 166, and ive put different wheels on it, but even they are replicas of Alfa wheels that were an option for the 166. i did buy crome door pins for it, but decided i was being an idiot as they looked poncy and stuck them on ebay.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Voted!

County: Cork
Garage

I voted modified ( I don't think the following can be classed as standard, my opinion anyway ) but only with Alfa factory options ( alloys, sunroof, etc. ) & options from the Alfa Linea accessory range ( spoiler, sideskirts ) I don't think anyone has designed better looking wheels or bodykits for Alfas than Alfa themselves

I'd consider chipping/remapping if a diesel ( insurance permitting )
AO Member

definietly modified - there are things on the gtv that are for all models, so blanked off if not needed in your model. Cars are made at a cost, and taking into account so many different things. I dont think there are many cars that are perfect straight away unless you pay big bucks. The reason people still buy them is cos its cheaper to buy an older car and change it to how you like it slowly.Id like my twinspark to be like the three litre but without the big engine petrol costs etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
modified , standard

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page