What conditions are your local roads in? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: How good/bad are your roads? (UK)
All in good state of repair 1 1.75%
Mostly in a good state of repair, only bad off main roads 7 12.28%
OK but a few minor pot holes on main road etc 8 14.04%
Bad, large potholes on main roads but otherwise ok 17 29.82%
very bad, large potholes and broken/bad surface 22 38.60%
other 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

EddieGTA

What conditions are your local roads in?

OK I am saying this poll is for UK based owners but it would be interesting to see comments on what roads are like elsewhere, so please do tell.

The other day there was an article on the news about the state of roads and how little is done to keep them in good state of repair, despite the amount of road tax paid.

The roads around here are pretty dire, and I am constantly dodging potholes. One I could not avoid was bad enough that the glove box opened, and I had a check of the suspension after.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Re: What conditions are your local roads in?

4th ritchest nation on earth - third world roads

Still, we've got nuclear missiles, so that's OK.
Darren156

Funny this, I've just kicked open a thread regarding putting my tracking out possibly due to some road works w/ potholes up near me,

I'd say that most of my roads are decent, but on the way to work and back there are quite a few nasty pot holes and bumps etc I kno are there and have to dodge like the dickens.

A few bad ones consist of where roadworks have been laid and there's a metal access point cover thats dipped down over time so that if you go over it you smash down and get a massive clonk from the suspension

Luckily I have pretty much worked out where alot of them are so haven't hit any with my TS yet

Just the road work one

I don't know why we bother paying road tax, it would be cheaper for me to go out and repair the roads myself, at least that way I'd be sure it was done,

AO Platinum Member

County: Bunkerton

I live in a Fenland area....so our roads are constantly moving and sinking...each one is resurfaced every year.

TBH...they do what they can considering it is a losing battle....but nine times out of ten we have some pretty big bumps, holes and crevaces to dodge
mudhut

Southampton calling. The local roads are dreadful with some really deep and hard-edged potholes, tree root damage, you name it. Subjective opinion of course but I'd say they are far worse than they were five years ago.

Completely useless city council: they are well known for two things - traffic (mis)management and (rubbish) recycling.

Rayq81

Yeovil Somerset here Not too bad roads here believe it or not even minor roads are in very good condition, well done our roads department

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Buggered
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy156 View Post
Buggered
The roads ?

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Them's the ones!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Pretty rough generally speaking. Small wonder with the sheer volume of traffic around here. M1, M10, A1M, are pretty good though.:
Nev

Roads are fine here.

If you go way into the country you
can find tar 'n' gravel only resurfacing
but Everything else is fine.

I'd give France 8.5/10

UK is probably a 5 or 6 and the
US 4.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

In west Oxfordshire the roads are in a terrible state. Even many of the main ones are full of holes and haven't been re-surfaced for donkeys years.

The amount of tax the UK motorist pays we should have the best roads in the world.

The latest trick is to reduce many of the speed limits on main roads down from 60 to 50mph. Many would argue this is bacause of safety, but the real reason is that 50mph limit roads do not legally have to be maintained to such a high standard as 60mph ones.
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

I know it said UK, but I voted
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Generally speaking they're fair to poor, but nothing too bad.

Something about the heavy rains and low temperatures we had in January though made an absolute mess of the A34 between Congleton and Manchester (which I use every day). There were potholes you could lose a car in! They've 'fixed' the worst ones now. Where fixed means filled them with a hump of tarmac which is already started to wear away again.

There was one which was the most perfectly evolved wheel-wrecking pothole in the world.
It was on the outside of a bend, under where your outside wheel would be if you weren't avoiding it, very high speed corner, and the point where the pothole was was the nadir of a dip too. Every single thing about it was designed so that the laws of physics made you hit it hard enough to minutely charge the orbiting pattern of the Earth.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex

They are re surfacing the roads near me at the mo, not that there was anything wrong with them in the first place.

Just a waste of money i say!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby278278 View Post
They are re surfacing the roads near me at the mo, not that there was anything wrong with them in the first place.

Send them around this way if I were you..

They don't so much as resurface roads here, they put a layer of very sticky tar over the old surface, then dump a load of chippings, and allow the cars to run them into the road.
Not good for paint or windscreens.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

I would say pretty awful. The road I drive to work, the A149 is appalling - lots of potholes, the edges, which are not kerbed, are breaking away in many places. I have had a buckled wheel and my wife has had a split tyre wall in the last year. If one reports something to the Highways authority, they do come and patch it up reasonably quickly, but I think they are stretched budgetwise and there simply is not the funding for regular routine maintenance.
The thing I find most disconcerting is the "tram-lines" that we seem to be developing on many major routes. I guess caused by heavy lorries, but I have often hit them at speed and all of sudden the car seems to want to steer itself! Coming North on the M11 between Stansted and Cambridge I have noticed particularly.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Funny, you always get a lot of road work at this time of year. If they don't spend their budget, they don't get as much next year.
So they spend all year being miserly with it, then panic in Feb and March and spend it all on the first things they think of, regardless of whether they're the things which require attention.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Send them around this way if I were you..

They don't so much as resurface roads here, they put a layer of very sticky tar over the old surface, then dump a load of chippings, and allow the cars to run them into the road.
Not good for paint or windscreens.
Our roads dont even need doing but the good thing is they do them from 9-4 sound not during rush hour which is a plus side.

they put all them stupid chippings down all our back roads, then stick 20mph signs everywhere
AO Platinum Member

County: Bunkerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby278278 View Post

I suppose as we reach another financial year end...the councils will be out using any funds they have left...to ensure that the Treasury know they need the same again, if not more for 2008/09
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW GTA

Here in Norway much of the roads are so bad that I can hardly believe they can be worse anywhere in the civilised world. Of course, in every country motorists complain about the road standard, but I know that Swedish roads are in general quite a it better; I live on the border and drive as much in Sweden as in Norway. When I drove a hire car in the US for a fortnight, I noticed that the roads seemed to always be patched up. Everywhere there was a black filling, even in the tiniest of cracks. I can't remember seeing any potholes.

A few weeks ago I hit a pothole with such force that it really "hurt". Now my steering wheel is no longer straight and I can swear I feel a certain vagueness in directional stability

DJ
--
harrythesnotgobbler

I do most of my driving around Essex/Anglia, roads are ok-ish, potholes now and then.
However, today I psent a few hours driving around central london (tottenham ct rd/camden/st johns wood etc) and couldnt believe just how crap Londons roads have got, its bad enough with 5hitty road humps but the pothole and general inconsistency in the road surface is awful, just glad I rarely spend any time driving in London these days.

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Absolute sh*** here. Parts of Stevenage could be used as a Land Rover proving ground.
AO Member

County: Midlands

Terrible - After the floods the tarmac got washed away!
paintergirl

Awful here. I buckled a wheel on the 147 last year hitting a pothole at about 40.

The rain has washed out all the loose fill they seem so fond of in Dumfries & Galloway. Living in the country is a nightmare anyway (tractors, tourists and totterers at every turn).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
conditions , local , roads

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page