Love of Football - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Are you still in love with football?
I love football more than ever 0 0%
I still love the game but it's changed 3 30.00%
I'm optimistic about the future of football and my club 0 0%
I still like it but I don't love it anymore 2 20.00%
It's not the same as it used to be 1 10.00%
I've never liked football 2 20.00%
Other 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 29-06-17 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Love of Football

Have you fallen out of love with football?

I love football but I find myself getting more and more disillusioned with it; be it the obscene wages, ridiculous transfer fees, lack of youth development for home grown players, ticket prices, TV accomodations or England being rubbish at everything.

I'm finding it harder to like.

It seems to be spreading, the football thread on here is ghostly quiet - even accounting for it being the close season - no comments on transfer rumours or new signings, even the last few months of the season were quiet in there.

In general conversation Football seems to be waning even amongst previous football mad friends and colleagues, there is mostly doom and gloom due to the above.

What are your thoughts?

PSN ID - Greener_CFC1

"Blue is the colour, football is the game, we're all together and winning is our aim, so cheer us on through the sun and rain, coz Chelsea... Chelsea is our name."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
I'm a rugby man myself, but also have a season ticket for a major Premier League team.

I sit and watch and wonder how someone that gets paid 10's or 100's of thousands of pounds can't put a corner over the head of the first defender, not just once, but nearly every bloody time.
Or the fact they roll around the floor feigning injury (personally I call it cheating).

And yet when I watch rugby, or when I played, everyone was trying NOT to show how much a tackle or contact hurt
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
It's hard to say which of the options most accurately sum up my feelings tbh.

It has changed, and not necessarily for the better. The game itself is still a bunch of guys kicking a ball about and losing on penalties in the case of England. Sometimes, it is brilliant, exciting and passionate. At others is is stodgy, skill-less and dull. Just like the old days but on better pitches and in nicer stadia.

It's a greedy game though. It has the most rapacious maw for sucking up ever greater amounts of cash and treating fans increasingly like mug-punters.
The money has been called "stupid" for 20 years (or more) but I think most fans are not just getting jaded but a bit sickened by each ridiculous mega-hike in transfer fees and salaries. Barely better than journeymen players being bandied about as worth 35-45 million, strikers who barely make the subs' bench at some ECL teams being talked of as 80 million, star players are nonchalantly discussed as 100-200 million transfer targets; routine mentions of players commanding 350,000 a WEEK salaries!
It's not only detached from fans, it is detached from reality. What GOOD could the world do with some of that sloshing dosh?
Throw in the corrupt largesse of FIFA and the game is looking less a thing of beauty and more a pit of filth.

Clubs no longer value trophies and titles in and of themselves but as a means to an end, and that end is more cash. Fourth place is seen as ambition because it gets you into the ECL and more cash. Championship clubs want promotion for cash not glory.
Clubs are owned and run by big business who are only interested in.....you guessed it.....how much money they can make from the fans, Sky and BT.

Tickets at many clubs are either or both of expensive or unavailable on an ad hoc basis. Gone are the days of walking up to the gate with your dad. Lots of soccer tourists and prawn sandwich corporate eventers. This means you don't get so many locals and family members going so much. I'm not badly off but I don't think I can afford 3 season tickets, even if I can get them. This waters down the next generation of fans. JimJr likes to go to a game but is totally disinterested in watching it on TV.

I think the game is in danger of eating itself in the end. The bubble will burst. TV will start losing bucket-loads of customers as they begin to baulk at the rising subscription fees. Many clubs will hit the financial wall and fold. Maybe sanity might only return afterwards. It would become more about the game than the dough again. Who knows we might even win a World Cup again.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

My son would pick your first option having gone from having no interest at all to being a season ticket holder at Bolton in the space of 2 years. His ticket costs sixty of your English pounds plus about a fiver a time for local away games. He comes out of the stadium elated when they win and thoroughly deflated when they drop points at the death.

My enthusiasm hasn't quite gone but I never bothered with Sky sports last season because I couldn't be arsed to watch City games, let along other teams. I don't think I watched a game in the alehouse all season either. Obviously things have changed quite a lot at City and continue to do so. Winning things is great, as is playing the neighbours on level terms and beating them occasionally. However, there was a time when a good season involved beating United once and not getting relegated. These days, not finishing in the top 4 is considered an absolute disaster. I never thought there would be a time when City had the likes of Silva and Aguero in the squad

There are still moments when its the best thing in the world, beating United 6-1 (sorry Jim), Aguero's goal to win the title, beating Barca and so on. There are other moments which make me miserable such as the play-acting, the trying to get players sent off, the behaving like ********s in normal life.

I agree with Jim that one day the bubble has to burst and the game will probably be better for it in the long run.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Zero interest.

30 years ago my Dad hated....all of the things mentioned above, faking, money grabbing, expensive gate fees and 'foreign' players.

Dad reckoned a (low!) maximum wage for players, a significant percentage (75?) of home grown talent rather than bought in and local support helped by low ticket prices.

I'm sure none of that would work, but then it doesn't the way it is, does it?
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Cant be arsed to go into detail but agree with Jim.

I can sum it up in several words.

THE GAME IS CORRUPT.

Haven't been interested since the Brian Clough/Leeds United debacle, and I've been to more football matches (overtime on days off) than most people.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
On the other hand I felt genuinely happy for my sad but befuddled Yorkshire born colleague on hearing Leeds had finally bought back their ground. Yet we all hate Leeds.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

I loved playing the game as a kid but never got into supporting a team so my interest stopped when I found beer.
I think the fact my dad had zero interest in it had an effect.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
I voted "other" because none of the choices really accurately describes my feelings. Over the years my wife & I have gone from never missing a Huddersfield Town home game to not much more than a cursory look at the results to see if Town have won & more importantly if Leeds have lost & to check on the fortunes of the two Manchester clubs (she grew up in Stretford, so she's entitled to be a United fan!).

I think for us it's been not so much a falling out of love with football as a gradual loss of enthusiasm as other interests, especially motor sport, have taken over. Maybe there's also a certain amount of disillusionment with the way the big money men have taken over.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I loved playing the game as a kid but never got into supporting a team so my interest stopped when I found beer.
I think the fact my dad had zero interest in it had an effect.
Exactly that ^^^^^ my dad hated Don Revie and his players, the torch was passed to me and I've never let it go out.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
I enjoy the game. I am a fan of one team, I follow others too through various random affiliations. I see myself as more of a fan of the game in general, despite my deep loathing of both Burnley and Liverpool

If there's a game on, chances are I'll watch it. The wages are obscene, the money in the game is obscene, the gamesmanship and feigning are ludicrous but you kind of accept it, it's the way the modern game is unfortunately.

Only a few things rattle me about the game. Inconsistency, agents and a lack of loyalty. Fair enough, players are making their living in what is essentially a very short career and they feel they should go where the money is but when they club hop every summer, that annoys the **** out of me

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
football , love

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page