WCOC Group 15 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: WCOC Group 15
Mk1 Golf GTi 0 0%
Alfa156 14 48.28%
McLaren F1 10 34.48%
TA22 Celica 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 49 Old 21-05-17 Thread Starter
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 14,107

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

WCOC Group 15

The original hot hatch
One of Japan's best looking cars
McLaren's masterpiece
The I like so much I bought one

Last edited by keithyboy; 15-03-19 at 08:17.
keithyboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 49 Old 21-05-17 Thread Starter
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 14,107

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

This is a struggle for me because I love all of these cars. I love the sharpness of the Golf, the F1 is just a masterpiece, the Celica incredibly good looking and we know all about the 156.

I'm going to drop the Celica first because, a bit like the 240Z, it's styling is a bit of a pastiche of other cars. Next to go is the Golf because, as important and sharp looking as it is, it isn't the best looking in this group. I'm dropping the McLaren too purely because the 156 is just a 4-door saloon but I still get a little buzz of excitement when I see one.
MalcQV likes this.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
keithyboy is offline  
Status: Bye Daffy Cat
AO Platinum Member
 
Keithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 37,412
I really dislike the golf gti.
Keithy is offline  
Status: Make Covfefe great again!!
AO Platinum Member
 
Greener123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Posts: 41,384
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I don't like any of them.

Never been overly fussed by the 156, probably too young for it to be seen as anything revolutionary or game changing. To me it's just a fairly nice looking saloon.

The Celica looks like a sort of Japanese mustang - but like one that had been described over the phone, can't say it's particularly good looking either.

The Golf, I do like MK1 GTi, as KB said very sharp and an icon now, as much as I may dislike them now and the parent company. But again, I wouldn't say it's particularly good looking.

McLaren F1 is undoubtably a great car, a complete game changer for Hypercars. Not a pretty car as such either.

I'm going to have to think about this one



PSN ID - Greener_CFC1

"Blue is the colour, football is the game, we're all together and winning is our aim, so cheer us on through the sun and rain, coz Chelsea... Chelsea is our name."
Greener123 is offline  
Gaz
Status: Privileged
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
 
Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the wheel
County: Lancashire
Posts: 63,352
This should be a walk in the park for the McLaren

I respect the Golf for what it spawned and what it stands for today but let's be honest, it's about as stylish as a concrete tower block and it is looks that are the debate here. It falls way short

What even is that japanese thing? It appears to be yet another example of poorly executed japanese style copying, in this case, a Mustang and I don't like those either

The 156 hasn't aged very well at all. The face looks clumsy, the back looks retarded, the wheels are too small which ruins the side profile. Sadly, the side profile is the best angle for it

The McLaren F1. Well it's just gorgeous from every angle isn't it. It still looks modern even over 20 years after its release

Gaz is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Harvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 4,002

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

I feel it'll sink but I've gone with the Celica because I ****ing love it.
Harvo is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 49 Old 21-05-17 Thread Starter
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 14,107

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
I really dislike the golf gti.
You really dislike everything though.
keithyboy is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
chrishendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 10,893
156

No need to explain or justify.
chrishendrix is offline  
Status: Make Covfefe great again!!
AO Platinum Member
 
Greener123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Posts: 41,384
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Lots of Alfa bias here then
Greener123 is offline  
Status: Make Covfefe great again!!
AO Platinum Member
 
Greener123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Posts: 41,384
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Decided on the F1, after some persuasion from its biggest fan
Greener123 is offline  
Gaz
Status: Privileged
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
 
Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the wheel
County: Lancashire
Posts: 63,352
Shush you'll get us both accused of vote rigging
Gaz is offline  
Status: I'm not really here
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 59
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76,926
Garage
:bangheed: muppets
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
steveisfrowning is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Never been overly fussed by the 156, probably too young for it to be seen as anything revolutionary or game changing. To me it's just a fairly nice looking saloon.

Heretic! BURN!
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
chrishendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 10,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
I don't like any of them.

Never been overly fussed by the 156, probably too young for it to be seen as anything revolutionary or game changing. To me it's just a fairly nice looking saloon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
156

No need to explain or justify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Lots of Alfa bias here then
Obviously it should've been the 156SW.
Al Faromeo likes this.
chrishendrix is offline  
Status: Make Covfefe great again!!
AO Platinum Member
 
Greener123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Posts: 41,384
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Heretic! BURN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
Obviously it should've been the 156SW.
The "snow plow" nose is really ugly
Greener123 is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,519

Member car:

Office Chair.

Hate 99% of Golfs. Not a fan of the Macca so it was between Alfa and the Celica. I do really like that Celica.
MalcQV is offline  
Status: Thinking about a Scirrocco
AO Platinum Member
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brighton.
County: Good old Sussex by the sea
Posts: 12,837

Member car:

The train :(

156. Obvs.

I wouldn't call the McLaren pretty, it has too many scoops / vents / holes in it, which spoils the lines.

Golf, great car but it isn't pretty.

And as for the Celica - I love Greener's description!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post

The Celica looks like a sort of Japanese mustang - but like one that had been described over the phone
Starkers is offline  
Status: Daddy bear
Global Mod Team
 
bazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Congleton - The centre of
Posts: 44,491

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Lots of Alfa bias here then
How can you claim bias when everyone is being asked to give their subjective view? It's supposed to be based on what they like most (or to put it another way, are biased towards).
bazza is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Don't debate him.

Burn the heretic!
Greener123 likes this.
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
Status: T-5 Days to Unicorn Paradise
AO Platinum Member
 
TheGrimJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 38,319
Nul points for the Golf.


Clearly not many AutoVAGspress readers voting ...
TheGrimJeeper is offline  
Status: Coffee with MILF
AO Platinum Member
 
Al Faromeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Netherlands
County: Limburg
Posts: 25,986
156 facelift sportswagon.

Fact.
Al Faromeo is offline  
Status: Daddy bear
Global Mod Team
 
bazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Congleton - The centre of
Posts: 44,491

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

The Golf is boxy, the F1 is ugly, the Celica is interesting, but a bit of a mish-mash. 156 is the clear winner, even if that example is missing the GTA bits which would make it properly epic.
bazza is offline  
Gaz
Status: Privileged
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
 
Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the wheel
County: Lancashire
Posts: 63,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
How can you claim bias when everyone is being asked to give their subjective view? It's supposed to be based on what they like most (or to put it another way, are biased towards).
I think what he's getting at, in a less obvious way, is that a poll could be made featuring a Jaguar E Type, Healey 3000, Lamborghini Miura and an Alfa Romeo Arna and the Arna would win, purely because it has an Alfa Romeo badge on the front
MalcQV likes this.
Gaz is offline  
Gaz
Status: Privileged
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
 
Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the wheel
County: Lancashire
Posts: 63,352
Besides, he's allowed an opinion. No need to lay into him just because he rightly thinks the 156 is ugly and boring
Greener123 likes this.
Gaz is offline  
Status: Daddy bear
Global Mod Team
 
bazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Congleton - The centre of
Posts: 44,491

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I think what he's getting at, in a less obvious way, is that a poll could be made featuring a Jaguar E Type, Healey 3000, Lamborghini Miura and an Alfa Romeo Arna and the Arna would win, purely because it has an Alfa Romeo badge on the front
But his proof for that is that he disagrees with what people have voted. Just because that's his point, doesn't mean it's not stool water.
And he's the one denying others opinions! They aren't allowed to like that one, because liking that one is 'bias' where liking another isn't!

If someone buys a 156 because they think it's beautiful, and votes for a 156 because they think it's beautiful, have they voted for it because they're biased because they own one?
bazza is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
group , wcoc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome