Ashes to Ashes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Ashes to Ashes, Any Good
Brill, Great to see the Gene Genie back again 16 57.14%
Ok, as good as Life on Mars 9 32.14%
Not that good 3 10.71%
Rubbish 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Ashes to Ashes

As an avid lover of Life on Mars, what did everyone think of Ases to Ashes, the spin off to Life on Mars, Personally, it's brill to see the Gene Genie back again, let me know what you all think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Re: Ashes to Ashes

Never watched 'life on mars', gave this a go as people raved on about it. Just don't get it !!! Sry
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 07-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespasian View Post
As an avid lover of Life on Mars, what did everyone think of Ases to Ashes, the spin off to Life on Mars, Personally, it's brill to see the Gene Genie back again, let me know what you all think
Oh dear, the wine has got to me, should be Ashes to Ashes and not ases to Ashes
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

So for those of us not able to get the program on the first run, how about a brief summary including as many spoilers as you want to throw in? Unless I go about illegally downloading it off the Internet, I have no idea when or even if I'll get a chance to see it, as I no longer have access to the TV station that showed Life on Mars, and even that was shown after a delay of many months.
--Toronto
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

Welcome back TS

I watched this tonight not having seen Life on Mars whereas Lynn did see the original, so perhaps we can offer opinions from different angles. I've just been chatting with her about the programme and we were both dissappointed.

I didn't really know what to expect but sort of got the concept that we were going to be travelling back in time (somehow) to the 80's and that a comparison between then and now in a police environment, would be made. Having lived through the 80's I didn't really see much more than caricatures that were not very true to life.

We both felt that there was a strong attempt to concentrate on the comical and that it didn't really work. I felt the comedy was weak, Lynn felt that it was not the same treatment as in Life on Mars ie the comedy was more to the fore in tonight's show and it didn't really work.

I think I was expecting something with more teeth than this, which I felt was rather wishy washy.

We were not impressed and tend to agree that they should have left the formula well alone and not bothered with this new venture which, like most sequels, is simply milking the better original.

bazza is nomes and my love child

My Flickr address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibboleica/

My website: http://www.lawrencedavidphotography.co.uk/
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

ST170

I thought it was good

I was interested to see how they would work in the time travel again, with a different person experiencing the same characters, I thought they managed it Ok, (since you have to suspend your disbelief anyway)

I understand what Gibbo is saying about the comedy, the bit with the boat was a bit OTT, but I still laughed out loud at it.

I will keep watching, but would kindly ask the production company if they could turn down the music soundtrack when the quattro is in action.
paintergirl

I voted Brill. I missed all of the second series of Life on Mars and I'm desperate to see it. Found out that the last one was shown last night on Beeb 4 but I didn't want to spoil watching the whole thing

AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

It was OK - the first series of Life on Mars was better than the second, and they were both better than this so far.

Too early really to judge it, but it seems a lot more forced than LoM, as if they're trying a bit too hard. We'll see how it develops.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

i thought it was pretty good. Nice to see one of my childhood favourite cars get a good spot
" let's fire up the Quattro.." (sic, probably)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboy View Post
It was OK - the first series of Life on Mars was better than the second, and they were both better than this so far.

Too early really to judge it, but it seems a lot more forced than LoM, as if they're trying a bit too hard. We'll see how it develops.
I'm with Jamie on this, it's too early to tell.

And, if you didn't watch the original two series' of Life On Mars you are probably not in a good position to be able to judge some of the subtleties going on in the background, such as is Sam Tyler really dead?

The basic premise of Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars is that someone is apparently transported back in time following a traumatic incident - car accident in the case of Sam Tyler and being shot in the case of DI Drake - or is it that simply we are seeing the pictures in the mind of individuals in a coma?

All this wrapped up in delicious visual and musical nostalgia.

Some of the characters are overdone to an extent but to my mind that is what defines the series. Mind you having watched re-runs of "The Sweeney" recently there really isn't that much exageration on the non-pc matters....... use of an Audi Quattro excepted.....

I liked it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider View Post
So for those of us not able to get the program on the first run, how about a brief summary including as many spoilers as you want to throw in? Unless I go about illegally downloading it off the Internet, I have no idea when or even if I'll get a chance to see it, as I no longer have access to the TV station that showed Life on Mars, and even that was shown after a delay of many months.
--Toronto
It's available on DVD from the BBC website, Tor. Well worth it, excellent and original television.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I thought it was OK and will continue to watch to see how it develops. Too early to tell really but it looks like it's not a patch on Life on Mars Series 1 or 2.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Worth watching if only to look at Keeley Hawes....
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post

Agree with that
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
What he said!
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

I vote "other"

Yes..... it's too early to tell. But I am concerned that reworking a good idea will fall way short of my expectations.

Gene (stop waggling those fingers at me ) is a great character....... the other police seem to be very pale in comparison.

Keeley Hawes certainly looks good (too good!) but her character needs a lot more substance before I care what happens to her.

I like some of the symbolism .... the way the Police HQ resembles the old TV Test Card... but the clown has me puzzled.

I certainly agree that some of the comedy is overdone but...... to sum up...... it's one of the few programmes on TV that I will look forward to watching.

I just hope it lives up to my expectations

AO Platinum Member

I thought it was very good, the only thing is though is that its perhaps a bit too similar to Life on Mars.

What I'm looking forward to is when they do one called The Laughing Nome
(Post Link) post #18 of 24 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Loved the Zippy & George scene
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
It's available on DVD from the BBC website, Tor. Well worth it, excellent and original television.
Which show are we talking about? Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes? If it's Mars, I still have most of those episodes on tape. If it's Ashes, I'd be really shocked to see it available on DVD before the first TV run is over. As for buying it from the U.K. I doubt my rapidly-becoming-dated DVD player could handle the foreign region format. I'm not even sure my laptop's DVD could handle it either.

I did try watching it online, but as my originating IP address came from outside the U.K. my access was blocked.
--Toronto
AO Platinum Member

County: Bunkerton

I loved Life on Mars, and I think I will enjoy Ashes to Ashes very much as well.

There were several moments where I thought "they can't be serious..." Gene Hunt's arrival in an Audi Quattro, Keeley Wotsit inexplicably still wandering around in suspenders, The boat in a Miami Vice stylee, and the ridiculous A Team style part, where probably 1000 bullets were fired, with none reaching it's mark

But...as soon as I realised "they weren't being serious" and started taking it as pure comedy - I enjoyed it again.

The 80's were my favourite decade, and I found the symbolism of David Bowies's clown excellent, Zippy and George were wonderful and there were some great 80's flashbacks, the Adam Ant posters, clothes, etc.

As long as it all doesn't get hopelessly silly, and I know there are those who already think that, I think I will enjoy it, but the jury's out - and I am not in a position to vote at the moment !!

Watch out for Snooty...he's Trouble...
mikebrown

brill...

Darren156

Hey, just stumbles across this thread and decided to air my opinions and views,

I absolutely LOVED Life on Mars, couldn't get enough of it, thought it was fantastic.

Now, I've just finished watching episode 3 of Ashes to Ashes and feel exactly the same, If not more so to be honest.

I half expected it to be crap but they've done it really, really well and I'm chuffed with that Alex Drake, her character is spot on and bounces off of Gene Hunt very well. The chemistry is spot on.

It's good to see a nicer side to Ray as well.

Yeah, so far so good, let's just hope it remains that way

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

No.... It just doesn't work for me.
Alex is just too sure of herself and the plots are just too obvious... although if anybody could explain what happened between the two gay blokes in the last episode (no... not that bit ) the 'who shot who bit' I couldn't see why the 'grass' was allowed to go free.

Gene is brilliant (why didn't they just base a series on his character)
Alex is just a good-looking excuse for a poor repeat of the first series
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

The "Grass" was killed and left to dry out on the barbed wire fence, the gay crim was shot by his dispondent lover after he found out that crim was not a one guy gay, Alex set him up for the fall in the club as he was blinded to it. After he found out that crim was a liar he agreed to help in the bust and wear the wire (about the size of an Alfa Spider), but as he saw the guns he called the codeword and shot the crim.

Must say though that the lugs on him made him look like a young Martin Clunes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
ashes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page