Should manhunt 2 be released? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Should manhunt 2 be released?
Yes. 11 91.67%
No. 1 8.33%
Other. 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

EddieGTA

Should manhunt 2 be released?

Read today that the release of the game manhunt 2 has been stopped again. Do you think it should be released?

Personally I think you have to a pretty disturbed person in the first place to go kill someone, playing a game isn't going to turn someone into a homicidal maniac on its own.

I grew up as being allowed to watch horror films as a kid, have played many a sick and twisted computer game, yet I haven't murdered anyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: Should manhunt 2 be released?

It should be released with an 18+ ticket. Whats the harm in adults playing it?
AO Member

Watch the news from the US, kids in school, routine shooting incidents. We are not too far behind, only recently in Wales a number of youngsters thought it was cool to hang themselves. Young people are impressionable, if you are keen to Manhunt join the army, try it first hand. Been there done that Gulf 91, less fun than you think, takes ages for the smell to leave you, don't get that with a game.
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

What Pud said, bring them on
HSTDriver

Release with an 18 certificate, and ensure games shops enforce that law correctly (many of them don't, have seen it countless times)

I despise censorship, and the anti video game mantra spouted so often by the ultra-conservative-right makes me sick to my stomach.

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Release with an 18 certificate, and ensure games shops enforce that law correctly (many of them don't, have seen it countless times)

I despise censorship, and the anti video game mantra spouted so often by the ultra-conservative-right makes me sick to my stomach.
Spot on. The problem isn't games like GTA being violent, it's stupid parents letting their pre-teen children pay them.
People just don't take computer games seriously, and therefore don't see why they should pay attention to the certificates.
EddieGTA

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Spot on. The problem isn't games like GTA being violent, it's stupid parents letting their pre-teen children pay them.
People just don't take computer games seriously, and therefore don't see why they should pay attention to the certificates.
Also think it would be wise that they check who the game is for, I have seen parents buying games like GTA for their rugrat standing with them who clearly is not 18.

I think some people don't realise how games have moved on.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Played a few 18+ games, not killed anyone yet !!!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I think this says it all about the game (except maybe the third panel! ).
Penny Arcade! - Painstaking Market Research
Gamers are pretty much underwhelmed at the prospect.
Rayq81

Yes release it, although what the ultra conservative right have to do with this beats me

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Hmmmm, all seems a bit mute when in Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (o some such nonsense title) you'll be able to cut the heads off folk with a big sharp piece of metal and bath in their blood.

It's about time we had a bit more realism in RPG's, Oblivion would have been so much better if limbs had been cut off and the baddie laid on the floor screaming while their blood spurted out then went limp.

Off course their screaming might bring some more baddies like local wildlife to kill or guards and whatnot.

Hurrah for more realism in games

In Assassins Creed some of the kills you can do are pretty grusome, one of the counter kills with a knife has you catch their arm twist it step in and stab them a couple of times in the chest (with nic spurts of blood). Another one with the blade has you spin and slice them across the midrif and as they drop to their knees you overhand chop the blade down into the gap betweenneck and shoulder then kick them off your sword.

AWESOME!!!!

I get into fights on purpose because the moves are so well animated
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Yes release it, although what the ultra conservative right have to do with this beats me
It's the ultra conservative right (mainly americans, natch) who vehemently campaign against the video games industry and call for anything that they deem 'inapropriate' to be banned.

Of course under their ideals, the only thing that wouldn't be banned would be going to church. And whingeing.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Hmmmm, all seems a bit mute when in Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (o some such nonsense title) you'll be able to cut the heads off folk with a big sharp piece of metal and bath in their blood.
The thing is, in Barbarian and Barbarian 2, waaaaaay back in the 80's, you could chop people's heads off too.

(and in Barbarian, a little goblin used to wander on screen and kick the severed head like a football, whilst dragging the headless corpse off the side of the screen)

It's only now causing these idiots to riot about banning games because a) the industry has grown so massively, and b) the graphics are so much more realistic.

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
The thing is, in Barbarian and Barbarian 2, waaaaaay back in the 80's, you could chop people's heads off too.

(and in Barbarian, a little goblin used to wander on screen and kick the severed head like a football, whilst dragging the headless corpse off the side of the screen)
Ahhhhh, nostalgia, I remember it well on me Amiga, he used to do a like 16 bit yelp as he spun around and lopped the head off.

Did you ever plan Moonstone? Goriest game I ever played.
Attached Images
File Type: png moonstone - a hard days knights.png (17.3 KB, 2 views)
EddieGTA

And what about the award winning bioshock?? one of the few games I have completed, yet in it you get to chose whether to save small children or kill them.

Great nostalgia there Ghosty too

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Ah well, this is the point of the comic I posted. The media focus on Manhunt because it's Immoral!!! Dangerous!!! Destroying the fabric of our civilisation!!!! Other things with too many exclamation marks!!!!!!
But gamers focus on Bioshock because it's actually good. Besides, as they finally released it, it completely removes you from the actual issue of the decision.

Again, I think an issue is the lack of respect for the games industry. People can't see it as an artform, when properly done it can be at least as much so as film. I had an argument once with a woman who thought Saving Private Ryan was a masterpiece, showing us the true horror of the beach landings. Yet Medal of Honour, portraying the same scene, was a travesty, besmirching the honour of those brave people. Needless to say, she had never played, nor seen played Medal of Honour.
The fact that it's a 'game' means it can't be meaningful. Ignoring the fact that the film is also 'entertainment'.
For myself, I have experienced both. And while the scene in the film is very powerful, there's something about being there in the first person in the game, crouching behind the tank defences and hearing the whine of bullets and ricochets around you, thinking there's no chance you'll make it up that beach, which really brings home the impossibility that people actually did this for real, went through that terror with no second chances.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
manhunt , released

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page