Plasma Or LCD TVs - Which Is Best? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Plasma Or LCD TVs - Which Is Best?
Plasma 18 31.03%
LCD 40 68.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 20-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Plasma Or LCD TVs - Which Is Best?

And why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Plasma Or LCD TVs - Which Is Best?

ant thing with panasonic on it, you cant go wrong.
(Post Link) post #3 of 46 Old 20-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzedex View Post
Anything with Panasonic on it, you cant go wrong.
I've always bought Panasonic TVs but my head has been turned by Pioneer.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Plasma for me unless you are talking smaller screens.

It's all personal preference at the end of the day but plasma has deeper blacks and wins more awards for picture quality.

Inedependent research appears to support this view.Plasma v LCD research linky

I'm about to buy a 42" Pioneer. Check out the awards the Pioneer Kuros have received. I believe Panasonic run a close second according to those in the know but I don't think they show the same depth.

There'll be loads who disagree and support lcd vociferously, I'm sure.
AO Member

Under 37" LCD over 37" Plasma.
(Post Link) post #6 of 46 Old 20-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It's the Pioneer Kuros range that has turned my head Jim.
EddieGTA

Plasma still has the edge on LCD for picture quality at present, The pansasonic LX series LCD or sony bravia D series LCD does have a reasonable picture quality on standard definition material though.

To be honest though, considering most stuff is still standard def, you cant beat a decent CRT. Just a shame no one bloody makes them any more.

vantastic

Plasma for me as we watch films more than sport

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
It's the Pioneer Kuros range that has turned my head Jim.
That's what I'm going for. I've been waiting and checking for a while and reading up. Nothing has yet swayed my opinion. The only hold up has been that I've wanted other stuff with it which would stretch finances a bit.

The acid test was MrsJim suggesting I bought an X brand cheaper set and got the other stuff. I said "no, we'll get a Pioneer or leave it".

Tip - don't buy from one of the big high st chains. They are quoting £2-300 more than our local electrical store and online seller.

Sound and Vision Online - Delivering a better deal I have no connection but me and my mate have both used them previously and that's where I;ll be getting mine. Been in business years, know their stuff and never ever hard sell you. Note the prices inc vat and delivery.

PS - if this is construed as advertising rather than helping an AOer with a lead, I apologise and will edit it out on being contacted.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
(Post Link) post #10 of 46 Old 20-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I've just be looking at that site after following a link on this thread on the AV Forum.
alfa_147_jtd_16v

LCD as I only have space for small screens and with plasma you have to go above 32 inch.

Also, I beleive with plasma you have to have noisy fans in them to cool them. Oh and plasma's need a recharge where as LCD doesn't.

Last edited by alfa_147_jtd_16v; 20-01-08 at 17:38.

vantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_147_jtd_16v View Post
LCD as I only have space for small screens and with plasma you have to go above 32 inch.

Also, I beleive with plasma you have to have noisy fans in them to call them. Oh and plasma's need a recharge where as LCD doesn't.
I have a 42" plasma it has know one calling it or fans to keep it cool

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Samsung 32" LCD for me. I am not a fan off the plasmas unless they are the really really expensive ones.

Incidently, Samsung make the screens for Sony. If you tweak them in the manual settings, you'll find they have a supreme picture quality.

OA

You can't beat good old CRT.....

Plasma or LCD's are rubbish for picture quality....

I had to buy a new tv and spent ages looking at Plama's & LCD's but went for a Samsung 40" LCD - because of the gaming....but watching Movies football, it blurs - same as a friends 40" Plasma....

Give me CRT anyday....

Chris
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
You can't beat good old CRT.....

Plasma or LCD's are rubbish for picture quality....

I had to buy a new tv and spent ages looking at Plama's & LCD's but went for a Samsung 40" LCD - because of the gaming....but watching Movies football, it blurs - same as a friends 40" Plasma....

Give me CRT anyday....

Chris
That's because of the response time....
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Had a Plasma, developed a major problem after 10 months. Replaced under warranty with a Sony LCD. Two years on, works fine.: Using satellite quite a bit as I do, some transponders give a brilliant picture, whilst others are pretty naff! Happy with the LCD, good e'nuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
That's because of the response time....
Something the MFR's don't like to put in the sales blurb....

One minute your watching a close up and its crystal clarity - then it pans out to show the football game from a larger perspective - and it just goes glitch mad....

Anyway went for Samsung as they are supposed to be the best....god knows what the other makes are like...

Chris
AO Platinum Member

I voted LCD as don't Plasma screen burn out after a few years?
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Ours only lasted 10 months, and the technician said, "Doubt you will have problems with the replacement, Sir!" Crafty though, the replacement was Wega Engined,(Wazzat?: ) and the Bravia's followed very shortly, so we got a dated model: Works fine though, so not bothered much.:
mudhut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzedex View Post
ant thing with panasonic on it, you cant go wrong.
Yep, what he said.

Pity about the complicated menu system on the DVD recorders though.

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
I voted LCD as don't Plasma screen burn out after a few years?
They can burn in pretty quick, when I was at ITV we were getting complaints from people getting the logo burnt in from ITV2.

I don't think plasmas need a recharge now, or if they do is not as often as early models. It is also worth checking the resolution before buying, I think a lot of plasmas don't have as much horizontal resolution 1024 as oppose 1368, so the pixels are elongated. Not that I suppose it makes much difference but I am fussy

I'd have to say go for a Panasonic too.

I've seen a Panasonic 32" and Samsung back to back, and the Panasonic was in a different league to be honest. Much better colour representation, much better blacks, much closer viewing available too.

Yeah the Pioneer Kuro's are the best of the best at the mo and reflect it in they're price. But they're an investment, as your getting the best money can buy from a quality manufacturer far better than the mainstream manufacturers like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung.

Don't buy LG though, poor build quality and **** poor image!

Don't be swayed by this "true hi-def" rollocks though! You won't notice the difference, Pioneer says so too, that's why they never built any cheaper TV's to compete in.

The Panasonic 32" with the silver bezel surround will be a bargin today you'll love every minute you see it if you can pick one up today. They'll be as cheap as chips too.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Modus 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
Plasma still has the edge on LCD for picture quality at present, The pansasonic LX series LCD or sony bravia D series LCD does have a reasonable picture quality on standard definition material though.

To be honest though, considering most stuff is still standard def, you cant beat a decent CRT. Just a shame no one bloody makes them any more.
I also Like CRT, second to that LCD.

I work for an equipment Rental Company.
Apart form doing big rock and Roll shows, we do a lot of corproate work, so we have about 60 odd plasmas and Lcd's in stock.

Investment in displays are moving more to LCD than Plasma.
Plasma's number is definately up. LCD has improved soo much, many buyers will no longer know the difference.

LCD's dont seem to suffer as much latency as Plasmas, although both improved much over the years. Colour and COntrast on LCD's are just getting soo good, they have to be an honest option.

As for the small = LCD, Big = Plasma, its all total horse tonsil. I think manufacturing costs have dictated that rather than public opinion or need.
Over time LCD's will get bigger.

As for Plasma's running out of gas, most brands quote 8000 hours plus, so at 6 hours a day of TV, thats 1333 days or about 3 and a half years. (This is from very old info, I am sure it has improved)

Most Plasmas and LCD's,run at a native resolution of 1024*768 even though the aspect ratio is either 4:3 or 16:9, irresepective of size. So the bigger it is the further away you need to be from it for you not to see the pixelation. Stand Close to a 65" or 105" and you'll see what I mean.

If you are looking at any display, look at it at the distance it will be in your lounge. Watch both DVD ,as well as broadcast signal, hey bring your favourite Barney DVD. Have the same content running on 1 or two options. Its easy enough for them to do, they usually have matrix switchers at the back.

Sony and Panasonic seem to be on the top of the hill at the moment, with Samsung and LG scrubbing dishes at the bottom.

DONT RELY ON THE MADE TO SELL SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW PANNING BIKIN CLAD SALES PITCH DVD's THEY SHOW.

Most are made to bring out the best of a display. If the display is HD compatible/Ready, its probably playing it at that reolution too, so it wont look like that when showing Barney to the kids.

He who the Son sets free is free indeed.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

I have a sony bravia lcd and i am more than happy with it
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbertr14 View Post

DONT RELY ON THE MADE TO SELL SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW PANNING BIKIN CLAD SALES PITCH DVD's THEY SHOW.

I had forgotten that one. A good bet for choosing one and seeing what they are like is John Lewis. The one at Bluewater at least, has a big range and does actually show TV on them rather than a promo DVD as like what Gilbert mentions. Helped a mate choose one and we probably spent 2 hours watching TV in the shop, in the end he plumped for a 32" Samsung and then bought it from dabs.com.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
lcd , plasma , tvs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page