New driving law- Should people go to prison - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Poll Room You got it, just random polls in here

View Poll Results: Is prison the right punishment for causing death in an accident not matter what?
If you cause a death you should go down, regardless of the circumstances 9 19.15%
If the driver is genuinely sorry then it shouldn't be too harsh 2 4.26%
Prison should only be given if the driver is on drugs, drunk or massivly speeding 26 55.32%
I don't agree with any of the above and have posted below 12 25.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 09-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
New driving law- Should people go to prison

Hi all,

I don't check the site daily so if this is a double post please say so.

I heard on the radio again today about these plans to bring in a new traffic offence where basically they can prosecute you even more harshly for driving offences.

My main complaint is that from what they are saying it sounds like if you cause a death in an accident, regardless of the circumstances you will probably get 5 years.

I think this is down right appaling. I have never had an accident and try to be as careful as I can but with the amount of cars on the road there is always a chance something could happen.

It is always terrible when people get killed but it is a risk you take when you get in a car or step out onto the pavement. I don't think drivers should be treated like criminals. Most people would find it punishment enough to live with, without it ruining their lives.

Yet the people the radio were interviewing were all saying "if you take a life you should go to prision regardless of the circumstances- a life for a life". I think this is a stupid way of looking at it.

What side of the fence does everyone else site on? Before you answer think about it not just in tems of the family of the person who got killed but also from the point of view of the driver and their family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

HSTDriver

Re: New driving law- Should people go to prison

It's too broad a subject to say 'you've killed someone and must go to jail'
Each and every case is individual and should be judged as such

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
It's too broad a subject to say 'you've killed someone and must go to jail'
Each and every case is individual and should be judged as such
What he said.
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
What he said.
What he said HST said

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
What he said HST said
What he said, he said HST said
AO Member

I would agree with the comments above. Each case would have to be taken on its own circumstances. If a death is caused by someones negligence or carelessness e.g. driving dangerously or under the influence of drugs then a harsh punishment is probably deserved. On the other hand if the death is a result of a genuine accident eg someone gets a blow out and loses control on the motorway then thats a bit different.

As for being sorry, if the death is caused by stupidity or recklessness then being sorry shouldn't lessen the punishment although if they don't show any remorse maybe they should get longer.
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I would agree with the comments above. Each case would have to be taken on its own circumstances. If a death is caused by someones negligence or carelessness e.g. driving dangerously or under the influence of drugs then a harsh punishment is probably deserved. On the other hand if the death is a result of a genuine accident eg someone gets a blow out and loses control on the motorway then thats a bit different.
So you agree that what he said he said he said HST said ?

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

See the voting bars? Level headed, thinking, AO'ers.: By, this Jamesons good.
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
By, this Jamesons good.
I have a nice 32 year old Speyside and its going down rather well

(Post Link) post #10 of 57 Old 09-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

from what they say though it seems that they will enforce it even if you are slightly over the speed limit or have the sat nav on etc. I just feel it is very OTT.

The only reason it has come about is because in the past people have got off lightly- fine and points. My point is if it is an accident that is enough but the families of those killed usually want to see someone hung drawn and quartered hence this coming about
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
I have a nice 32 year old Speyside and its going down rather well
I'm shocked, don't want to know about your sexual practises
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervalver View Post
My point is if it is an accident that is enough but the families of those killed usually want to see someone hung drawn and quartered hence this coming about

Understand your post. As I said, I feel that every case has to be judged on it's own merit, but putting my empathy hat on for a second, if someone was playing around with satnav or changing a CD or so forth, and lost control, or didn't stop at a pelican crossing, and ran over my little girl, I'm not sure I'd be so forgiving.

Open question to people on the board, what if the victim was your child, wife, husband, brother, mum, dad, best friend etc?
Being brutally honest, what do you think your reaction would be?

It's a tough one, for sure. I'm stumped, to be honest.

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
I'm shocked, don't want to know about your sexual practises
Resistance is futile .............as they say in Chicago rock cafe

(Post Link) post #14 of 57 Old 09-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post

Open question to people on the board, what if the victim was your child, wife, husband, brother, mum, dad, best friend etc?
Being brutally honest, what do you think your reaction would be?

It's a tough one, for sure. I'm stumped, to be honest.

I think most people would want to see the drive go down which is what this change in the law is about, it will make that much more likly. I don't think this is right though.

Jail is for criminals. People who intentionally go out to do wrong. I don't think it is fair that the law can allow for someone who is an honest person to go down because of an accident.

It probably won't be as bad as I think and judges etc may be more lienient.

I'm really surprised no one else really feels strongly about this though? My point is it COULD happen to anyone. Children esspecially seem to be totally unaware of things around them and can and do run out in front of cars.
AO Platinum Member

Rayq81 whats that then? Don't wish to look like your avatar, so I'll stick on the Bushnells, Remy, Jamesons, for the Mo! Just got told off, she said it's Bushmills she got me and I'm a bit sloshed!! Women!:
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire

I was unfortunate enough to be involved in an incident where a very good friend of mine was killed in a road traffic accident, I feel I was to blame and there is not a day that goes by I don’t think about it.

My questing is, you not knowing what happened, should I have been punished?

To start with the family and friends wanted to blame me as when something bad happens the family etc need to find someone accountable, as time goes by they regain grip and see though there anguish and rationality.

This is a very series subject we are discussing and will mean a lot too many people.

Ned
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
What he said, he said HST said
What they all said. Basically cyclists and pedestrians should be accountable for their actions as well, what about the shock and probable injury caused to the two cars involved in the incident on the M1 today. Sad that someone was killed, but don't try and cross a motorway.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervalver View Post

Jail is for criminals. People who intentionally go out to do wrong. I don't think it is fair that the law can allow for someone who is an honest person to go down because of an accident.
A lot of crime is commited by people who didn't intend to do so. That is why we have a manslaughter charge, for starters.

There are so many grey areas here I don't know where to begin. As I said before, I'm stumped.

I wouldn't want to go to jail if I lost control and killed someone in my car, but if the victim was in my family i'd feel totally different. It does my head in thinking about it.

Lets just all drive safely, eh?

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Rayq81 whats that then? Don't wish to look like your avatar, so I'll stick on the Bushnells, Remy, Jamesons, for the Mo! Just got told off, she said it's Bushmills she got me and I'm a bit sloshed!! Women!:
Its a limited edition single malt whisky, casked in 1971 sells at about 300 a bottle and its rather good

AO Platinum Member

Tis' indeed a very serious subject, and severe punishment must be considered, and awarded accordingly.:
AO Platinum Member

Bet you are in AROC, do tell?:
Rayq81

AROC of course

What many have already said.

Each case is pretty individual and ratio decidendi will be observed when anything is similar so that presidents is upheld. If it is accidental then its accidental and no amount of hanging will bring any loved one back. If its intentional or negligent then its not an accident (obviously) and the guilty party should serve the necessary penance! Locking someone up for something that was unavoidable or completely accidental would be criminal in itself, but as people have already said, this is such a vast area to cover we'd be writing essays to try to find a difinitive answer.

I have to agree I would probably be sitting slightly differently if it happened to someone I know, but we never know how we feel until these things happen. Safe to say thank god its not left up to us to decide the fate of criminals and the judicial system can precide! Sometimes the decisions can feel unfair but like autolusso has pointed out, people involved don't see the rational side in terrible and upsetting circumstances, but can more so after time goes by.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Slightly off subject but I do find that the UK (and Italy incidently) has some relatively lax driving laws. Whilst living there I often read about people killing someone whilst driving without a license and insurance and getting 18 months probation or something ridiculous like that.

It is time driving offences are re-thought and redrafted, in a way that makes sense in the 21st century.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Some sort of recklessness ought to be provable before prison is an option in my opinion, whether it be drunkenness, speeding, racing ect.
Pedestrian steps out from a line of parked cars and is hit by a car doing 40mph in a 30 limit for example does not warrant a custodial sentence.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Poll Room

Tags
driving , law , people , prison

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page