does anyone know this car - potential 1st alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 30-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Lothian

Member car:

na

does anyone know this car - potential 1st alfa

Hi folks,
I'm considering this car, it is the spec I am looking for, but it is a cat c. It appears to have been looked after but I am also concerned about the work done to it, does anyone know the car or have any thoughts on it?
Thanks

Alfa GTV V6 3.0 24V Metallic Green, Blue Leather electric seats low mileage | Perth and Kinross | Gumtree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dinomito

It says full service history, yet the description only suggests 3 stamps in the book. 3 stamps in a 12 year old car is not a full service history. I'm certain these are every 12k miles or 12 month intervals.
These cars need regular maintenance to be kept in good condition. A few electrical things, seats, air con etc, hmmmm.
I'm sure there are better cars out there for similar money mate, have a look at a few and go in with open eyes. It's easy to be blinded by the looks and sounds of the V6 and overlook faults.
Even though this one looks lovely in the pics and could be made to look mint quite easily, it will always be a Cat C write off.
Personally, I'd keep looking.

AO Member

County: Fife
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomito View Post
It says full service history, yet the description only suggests 3 stamps in the book. 3 stamps in a 12 year old car is not a full service history. I'm certain these are every 12k miles or 12 month intervals.
Which might explain why it needed a bottom end rebuild at such low mileage.
(Post Link) post #4 of 21 Old 31-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

Thanks for the advice, suppose i'll need to keep looking not many of these babies around up here...
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Go and look at the car don't just dismiss it. It might be exactly what you are looking for.Contact Autolusso to see if they have records of the car or if it's a regular in there.
I must say I am slightly puzzled why so much work has been done on it. I would guess that most of the work was unecessary if the mileage is correct but that is what some GTV owners do for peace of mind. At that mileage not changing the oil every 12 months would not harm the engine on its own. More probably it's been allowed to run low over a long period of time and only occasional use.
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 31-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

Thanks, i do plan on viewing the car but i'm a bit wary as it will be difficult to spot any structural damage (alignment etc) or any deep lying problems with the engine.
It could be a positive that it has had all the work done, which could see it good for a number of miles - or it could be an ongoing headache, that's the chance you take i suppose, and probably why it's a bit cheaper.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1176uk View Post
Thanks, i do plan on viewing the car but i'm a bit wary as it will be difficult to spot any structural damage (alignment etc) or any deep lying problems with the engine.
It could be a positive that it has had all the work done, which could see it good for a number of miles - or it could be an ongoing headache, that's the chance you take i suppose, and probably why it's a bit cheaper.
The front suspension and sub frame was probably replaced with second hand after the accident which would explain why it was worn at the low mileage. Reading it again there is a good chance that Autolusso did all of that work in Feb (that would be a good thing). I would definitely look into it.
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 31-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

From the phonecall, if i recall correctly he said he reground the crank himself (?!) and has receipts totalling 1200 for the other parts...
dinomito

Reground himself?

I hear an alarm bell ringing.............

Seriously though, have a look at a few before parting with any folding.

(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 02-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

Not even sure what regrinding the crank would involve??
I have seen one for sale in the classifieds here that i like but it is about a 6hr drive away!
AO Silver Member

Crank grinding is done a grinding machine designed specifically for that job. Unless the guy has his own automotive engineering workshop he cannot have done the job himself. He may have said he fitted the crank himself but even that is a major engine out and strip not for the faint hearted.
AO Platinum Member

Walk away is my only advice.
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 02-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

The guy definitely says he reground the crank himself, not sure how he managed that. He seems genuine but I'm wary that the car is a headache.
This is the only other one for sale in Scotland that I know of - Alfa Romeo 3.0 GTV | East Lothian | Gumtree
The owner says it is getting a new MOT this week and the price will go up to 2750. Shame it is only 5 speed and has the smaller wheels, with no boot spoiler..
dinomito

Seriously man, there are plenty cars out there.

Up your budget to 4k and you'll get a very nice phase 3 3.2, mine!

Otherwise a budget of 3k will fetch you a nice phase 2 with a 6 speeder. You just need to widen the search mate.......

AO Silver Member

Quote:
The guy definitely says he reground the crank himself, not sure how he managed that. He seems genuine but I'm wary that the car is a headache.
This is the only other one for sale in Scotland that I know of - Alfa Romeo 3.0 GTV | East Lothian | Gumtree
The owner says it is getting a new MOT this week and the price will go up to 2750. Shame it is only 5 speed and has the smaller wheels, with no boot spoiler..
Walk away from any car that you are not 100% comfortable with. Simple.
I would be really interested to find out if he is an engineer who did the crank himself.
(Post Link) post #16 of 21 Old 02-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

They are the only 2 I can see within a reasonable distance. 2500 is my max budget.
I like the aero kitted one in the classifieds on this forum, but it is in hertfordshire which is about 6hrs away.
dinomito

V6's at under 2,500 are becoming rarer by the day. By that, I mean good ones. I searched for 6 months to get mine and I had double that budget. The cars are out there mate, you just need to look in the right places.
Pistonheads, Auto Trader, ebay, Alfaowner, Gumtree, local press etc etc etc

You're in a position of strength if you have the funds available, don't accept waffle (self ground cranks et al) and get the best car your budget will allow.

Good luck

PropWarp

Patients is what I shall say.

It is easy to buy an Alfa with heart whilst your head takes a back seat. You really do need to have both at the fore front of your buying view.

I can see that there are few in your neck of the woods but one will come along. If you have cold feet..... WALK AWAY.

It does look a nice car but because I am now particular with cars I buy I read up to the CAT-C and walked away.

As mentioned above the work carried out is a huge task.

Of course the gentleman is nice as pie.......... Wants rid..... Remember "sold as seen" is a phrase that personaly sends shivers up my spine.

Keep looking, thats my 2 pence

One will come along.

DINOMITO wink wink

(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 02-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.
I'm going to pass on the Cat C one, like you say there will be better ones.
Any thoughts on the east lothian gumtree one, better waiting for a 6 speed one?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.
I'm going to pass on the Cat C one, like you say there will be better ones.
Any thoughts on the east lothian gumtree one, better waiting for a 6 speed one?
It's not what you want really is it? Nuff said.
It's not really fair to pass opinion based just on an ad. You have to see the car but if there are things that put you off before you even look then don't bother.
(Post Link) post #21 of 21 Old 02-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

na

You're right.
This is the one I want Used ALFA ROMEO GTV V6, 6 speed, Lusso, Aero Kit for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1662818)
A forum member on here I believe?
Might look into trains etc..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
1st , alfa , car , potential

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page