A9 Scamera van - possibly nabbed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 24-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Crazed A9 Scamera van - possibly nabbed

Ok, Ok I know. and truly should know better. Wasn't utterly hooning it but certainly a bit high on the velocity front (reckon a smidge over 80) on the dual carriageway section while getting past some bunched up traffic while coming back down from Inverness after a lovely day at Castle Stuart links.

A9 at Slochd, dual carriageway me outside lane white van on verge with the wee flaps on the doors which to all intents and purposes look like scamera ports. Except for a couple of things - the hatchings on the back doors are yellow and orange, the side was unmarked and the lights on the roof were orange. Later on the journey a motorway maintenance vehicle I saw had the same colour hatchings and orange lights. It was on the uphill stretch of the dual carriageway before the Slochd summit and I had been on cruise control happily at an indicated 77mph. I merely put a quick burst on to pass a couple of cars as we were a bit too bunched up for my liking (their cruising speeds were up and down like a hoors drawers). I passed, spotted the van, backed off and was able to scrub my speed down to an indicated 70 by the time I was in full view. I am told the cash register is set at 82 mph in that area so just need to wait and see I suppose.

Lesson learned . . . . . Licence been clean for over 10 years now so in many respects I have been very lucky

Oh and PS look out for SP10 CVZ blue-sh 3 series touring in Fife. A more bland, innocuous pig mobile you couldn't get but certainly been doing it's fair share of feeding on the A92 in the last few weeks.

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: West Lothian
Garage
Fingers crossed for you, Steven, but still - .

.....and just to add to your pain, I think that camera vans operated by 'Safety Camera Partnerships' rather than the police themselves are usually manned by civilians and so sport amber roof lamps (if they have any at all) rather than blue, such as the Strathclyde one in the pic below which despite all the other 'battenburg' markings suggesting it's a cop vehicle, it's an SCP one hence the amber lights.

If it's any consolation, some are totally unmarked - the one that got me in the 156 several years back on the then A1 in Nottinghamshire was like the countless other 'one man and his white van' vehicles I'd passed that day, except for the open hatch in the rear door which I spotted just too late, and I got done for 73mph in a 70 zone as they were running a 'Zero Tolerance' campaign, .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed trap.jpg (190.8 KB, 9 views)

For Info & enquiries e-mail
[email protected]

AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa-less

After stumping up for a round at Castle Stuart a small fine shouldn't be too hard on the wallet

I am kidding but yes, the camera vans have been a bugger on the A9 of late
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 27-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Heard nothing so far . . . . .fingers crossed.

Castle Stuart is something special though. And the drive up lovely too. TBH I see no reason for the A9 to be as dangerous as it is - other than the way some people drive on it. Some of the manoevres I witnessed on it were toe curling
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
TBH I see no reason for the A9 to be as dangerous as it is - other than the way some people drive on it. Some of the manoevres I witnessed on it were toe curling
Recently I was at a work related meeting where someone said that Loch Ness is 'intrinsically unsafe' and that it should be 'fenced off to prevent risk to life'. Once my jaw had recovered from this sort of position I reminded the chap who spoke those words that it's people and the decisions that they make that are dangerous, not the loch. Whilst it would be amusing to do so you cannot legislate for stupidity.
Relevance? I see the A9 (and the A96) in a similar light.
Each has a bad reputation and yes, it would be better if they were both all dual carriageway (especially the A9). But they're not. Instead you have to deal with a multitude of idiots who seem hell bent on killing themselves, other people or me. I take great exception to the last one so it takes a great deal of self control not to chase down some of the folk on the road who make the most ridiculous overtaking manoeuvres you will ever see and 're-educate' them with a piece of iron pipe.
Instead of nicotine I now suck on another extra strong mint, count to ten and hope that when these folk do crash (and they will eventually crash) that they don't delay me any more than is necessary to clear up the mess......

Ocht
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
TBH I see no reason for the A9 to be as dangerous as it is - other than the way some people drive on it. Some of the manoevres I witnessed on it were toe curling
I've driven up and down the A9 many, many times and I really don't like it as a road. The only time I enjoy driving on it is at 03:00 am when its largely empty.

Broadly you're right but the way that the A9 changes from single carriageway to dual carriage way and then on to those death-trap 'crawler' lanes mean that people can easily get confused. And the frustration of racing to pass traffic before the dual-carriageway runs out means that people take risks. And risk-taking leads to accidents. It's difficult to blame a road, but the way that the A9 is structured does contribute to accidents.

---------------------------------------------------
Go 49ers! Blues is Blood!
AO Member

Member car:

Brera, Saab 9-3

Never known police or camera vans on the dual carriageway sections of the A9 other than the one either side of Inverness and the one going through Perth.

A worrying change of tactic if they are now covering the other Dual Carriageway sections. Generally I believed they stayed clear of these as they would prefer people to overtake on them then on the single carriageway sections.

The road really is a nightmare, the overtaking lanes they have put in are incredibly frustrating as they are nearly all on areas that you could safely overtake on anyway and now it just means you can only overtake one way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
nabbed , possibly , scamera , van

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page