3rd Annual AOS Tour - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

dinomito

Idea 3rd Annual AOS Tour

Hi folks,

been working on the 3rd tour of Scotland for a while now and I've come up with a few different routes which I'm sure will have something for everybody. Thought I'd try something different for next year though and see if anybody had any specific places they wanted to go over the course of the weekend.

I plan to have it on the May Day weekend again so that will be the weekend of the 5th/6th/7th of May 2012. Mark that in your diary.

The Royal in Ullapool have been asking me if I'd like to book again for next year, they've looked after us very well this last 2 years. Do we want to go there again, or will we have something completely different? Bear in mind we need a fairly large Hotel to accomodate 15-25 cars and 30-50 people.

For those who are new to the site or have not come before here's a wee taste of what it is all about

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/meets...tland-run.html

2010 and 2011 both saw 17 cars in attendance. Would be good to have similar or greater numbers again.

So, any ideas to throw around then folks?????

Over to you.............................

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Fife
I now this wouldn't count as a tour of Scotland, but would make a for a good weekend and you do need to go through Scotland to get there.

I really fancy going to the AROC event in York next year, assuming they do it again and that is also on the May Day weekend.

For those who don't know what that is see pics here:-

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/meets...aroc-york.html
dinomito

Not sure if it's running again next year either. I also fancy going to some of the bigger shows next year. Not sure the lovely Louise could be tempted though to be honest. I think NAD is going to be well up the country next year too, that's one I really want to get to.
Good idea though Richard, maybe incorporate a Dales/Lakes run too! Hmmmmm, got me thinking now!!!
Keep them coming folks...........…

AO Member

County: Aberdeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollie View Post
I now this wouldn't count as a tour of Scotland, but would make a for a good weekend and you do need to go through Scotland to get there.

I really fancy going to the AROC event in York next year, assuming they do it again and that is also on the May Day weekend.

For those who don't know what that is see pics here:-

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/meets...aroc-york.html
Like the sound of this or take in some other Alfa show en route
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomito View Post
Not sure if it's running again next year either. I also fancy going to some of the bigger shows next year. Not sure the lovely Louise could be tempted though to be honest. I think NAD is going to be well up the country next year too, that's one I really want to get to.
Good idea though Richard, maybe incorporate a Dales/Lakes run too! Hmmmmm, got me thinking now!!!
Keep them coming folks...........Ö
One of the big AROC events will be up North somewhere this year. It's one of the new club managers things, to spread the shows about. Which could mean the the York event might not be on, but it has been a great success for the last couple of years.
dinomito

I'd be keen to do our run still on the May Day weekend then have another group run/Invasion down to National Alfa Day which will probably be July ish. How does that sound? Just had a look at AROC's diary and nothing is up for next year yet.

AO Member

County: Aberdeen
Haye sounds jist fine ken
AO Member

I would would definitely like to go to one of the big shows next year, I would have gone this year if they hadn't been so far away.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

A wee sugestion...

Map

It means we can use the Royal for 2 nights and there's lots of wee, alternative, side tracks we can explore

Last edited by Fast Frank; 16-09-11 at 13:06.
dinomito

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast frank View Post
A wee sugestion...

Map

It means we can use the Royal for 2 nights and there's lots of wee, alternative, side tracks we can explore
This is very similar to what I had thought about for the run in 2010! If the Royal can handle 2 nights of us then something like this could well be just the ticket.
This would mean a lot less driving on Day 2 which I know Louise would like and plenty of opportunities for Fraser to get out his big lense too up there.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Quote:
This is very similar to what I had thought about for the run in 2010! If the Royal can handle 2 nights of us then something like this could well be just the ticket.
This would mean a lot less driving on Day 2 which I know Louise would like .
Yeh, Kirstine was a bit knackered after day 2 this year.

The last time I drove along the road in to Assynt valley we had a c35 Hercules flying along side us I remember thinking I can hear an airplane as if it's really close, then I looked out the passenger side window OMG!

Needless to say he overtook me on the single track road really quickly and without getting in my way at any time
dinomito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast frank View Post
Yeh, Kirstine was a bit knackered after day 2 this year.

The last time I drove along the road in to Assynt valley we had a c35 Hercules flying along side us I remember thinking I can hear an airplane as if it's really close, then I looked out the passenger side window OMG!

Needless to say he overtook me on the single track road really quickly and without getting in my way at any time
Been giving this some thought today, and the more I think about it the more I like it
As for getting a Hercules to turn up I'll see what I can do

Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

There used to be a broch or something on one of the lochs up there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it :thinks:
AO Member

County: Western Isles

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

We should be okay for a wee trip across the minch at the start of May. Might take the V6 if it doesn't require mega miles (or even the spider by then...hopefully!!)
dinomito

We may need to have a re-think on dates or a change of venue. The Royal can't accomodate us on that weekend and are struggling to come up with anything close to those dates. Must be something on that weekend up there as a few other Hotels in the area are also fully booked

AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Might see if Martin wants to go next year and hopefully will be able to save some money after I pay the road tax/insurance/bike lessons.
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
How about Oban and down towards the southwest of scotland rather than the northwest. We've been from Perth to Skye, John O Groats and Inverness after all.

I'm thinking over to Oban then down around the Mull of Kintyre to Campbeltown and back up the other side to Inverary. After Inverary north and west round Loch Lomond and end the run at Stirling.

I know of a nice hotel chain which has a good hotels in both Oban and Inverary so perhaps we could get something thru them.

Not really looked at the roads or the distances in detail, but i think there's a weekends driving there and nice scenery to scoot thru.

Thoughts???
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

That's something along the Lines of what Philip was thinking a while lack. There is some nice driving down that way
dinomito

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insc123 View Post
How about Oban and down towards the southwest of scotland rather than the northwest. We've been from Perth to Skye, John O Groats and Inverness after all.

I'm thinking over to Oban then down around the Mull of Kintyre to Campbeltown and back up the other side to Inverary. After Inverary north and west round Loch Lomond and end the run at Stirling.

I know of a nice hotel chain which has a good hotels in both Oban and Inverary so perhaps we could get something thru them.

Not really looked at the roads or the distances in detail, but i think there's a weekends driving there and nice scenery to scoot thru.

Thoughts???
This is probably the best option really as I want to keep it on the May Day weekend
Can you pm me the details of the Hotels Stuart and I'll get in touch with them to see if they can fit us in??

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
I'd be keen to do our run still on the May Day weekend then have another group run/Invasion down to National Alfa Day which will probably be July ish. How does that sound? Just had a look at AROC's diary and nothing is up for next year yet.
Just for info: - National Alfa Day is on 12th August 2012 at Newby Hall, Ripon, Yorkshire
dinomito

Cheers Mike. I'll need to make sure I'm free for that weekend. Who's up for a trip down there then?

AO Member

Quote:
Cheers Mike. I'll need to make sure I'm free for that weekend. Who's up for a trip down there then?
Me, no way I'll be missing that one.
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Quote:
Martin and I went over to Loch Lommond a few months back and I really enjoyed driving the roads over there. Martin was bored/car sick.

Sounds good though
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Quote:

Thoughts???
David and I are just back from a long weekend down at Portavadie Marina and travelled all those lovely west coast roads and said to each other that it would be a great place to do the AONS run next year. We passed through Inverary on the way to Crinan Canal and also along by Loch Lomond. I have to say that the state of the roads was far superior than the roads we went on to Ullapool last year. A lot of them have been resurfaced on long stretches and potholes were few and far between, so a trip in that region for next year would get a definite thumbs up from me
AO Member

County: Western Isles

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

Ullapool road has been sorted out in comparison to last year but may break up again if we have another bad winter....

Inverary road is a good drive. Only been on it once - in a lhd Bagheera after missing the Tarbet turn off by mistake!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
3rd , annual , aos , tour

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page