I've been quiet since joining... here's why - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 31-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa-less

Warning I've been quiet since joining... here's why

This is the Readers Digest version
At the time I bought my Alfa it seemed like such a good plan.
Sell the reliable (no, really) and well sorted 3 door Stilo JTD to a mate and buy a nice black 5 door Alfa 147 Ti.
So I did.
That's when the troubles started, the like of which I've never experienced with an Italian car - and I've had a few Italian cars over the years.
In a nutshell the car is now on gearbox number 3, actually that would be gearbox 4, if you count one that went 'missing in the post', clutch number 2 and MAF number 2 too. Oh, and a rebuilt rear wiper motor.
Joy.
Now in fairness this has - more or less - all been covered under the one year comprehensive warranty that came as part of the deal to buy the car in the first place. Boy, am I glad I got that in the deal...... I'd be utterly skint by now if it weren't for the warranty. The upshot is most of the mechanics, the DET and the service staff at Donald MacKenzie have got to know my mood swings well I can't quibble their willingness to resolve issues.
When you consider that I only bought it in October 2010 and it's the last day of May 2011 as I write, you might be surprised to know the car spent a grand total of 9 weeks away at the dealer being fixed.
I'd not really 'bonded' with it until recently. In fact I resented seeing it at all.
Can't think why.
The only reason I've 'bonded' with it now is I've had my first two weeks with no issues at all and have spent the last two days washing, tar spotting, cleaning and polishing the car with the occasional help of my good lady wife. Black cars are always tricky to get right but it looks incredibly good and that very nearly almost makes up for all the hassles to date. In theory, there's not much left to go wrong although I'm pretty sure the suspension needs an overhaul. It's not 100% right, bushes maybe but I suspect the struts are a smidgen soft. I might swap them out for something else, but I will not be lowering the car any time soon.

So here I am, still with an addiction to Italian motors. Will I ever learn

Almost certainly not

Ocht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Sorry to hear you woes Ins. I'm on my 2nd Alfa and haven't had any major issues that I can't call my own fault, other than squeeky rear brake calipers on the GT. Good to hear the 147 is behaiving it's self better now. Hope you have many happy miles
SGould

Quote:
Originally Posted by INS147 View Post
This is the Readers Digest version
At the time I bought my Alfa it seemed like such a good plan.
Sell the reliable (no, really) and well sorted 3 door Stilo JTD to a mate and buy a nice black 5 door Alfa 147 Ti.
So I did.
That's when the troubles started, the like of which I've never experienced with an Italian car - and I've had a few Italian cars over the years.
In a nutshell the car is now on gearbox number 3, actually that would be gearbox 4, if you count one that went 'missing in the post', clutch number 2 and MAF number 2 too. Oh, and a rebuilt rear wiper motor.
Joy.
Now in fairness this has - more or less - all been covered under the one year comprehensive warranty that came as part of the deal to buy the car in the first place. Boy, am I glad I got that in the deal...... I'd be utterly skint by now if it weren't for the warranty. The upshot is most of the mechanics, the DET and the service staff at Donald MacKenzie have got to know my mood swings well I can't quibble their willingness to resolve issues.
When you consider that I only bought it in October 2010 and it's the last day of May 2011 as I write, you might be surprised to know the car spent a grand total of 9 weeks away at the dealer being fixed.
I'd not really 'bonded' with it until recently. In fact I resented seeing it at all.
Can't think why.
The only reason I've 'bonded' with it now is I've had my first two weeks with no issues at all and have spent the last two days washing, tar spotting, cleaning and polishing the car with the occasional help of my good lady wife. Black cars are always tricky to get right but it looks incredibly good and that very nearly almost makes up for all the hassles to date. In theory, there's not much left to go wrong although I'm pretty sure the suspension needs an overhaul. It's not 100% right, bushes maybe but I suspect the struts are a smidgen soft. I might swap them out for something else, but I will not be lowering the car any time soon.

So here I am, still with an addiction to Italian motors. Will I ever learn

Almost certainly not
Bad luck, sounds like you just got a friday afternoon one. I hope that will be all the issues resolved now. I had a 147 TS for three years which never went wrong, so they ain't all like that. Once sorted, the 147 is a cracking car in my opinion.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less

Cheers folks - it's been a trying time and not the 'return' to Alfa ownership I wanted or expected. Nevertheless, I can only hope that things improve over the summer and it behaves itself or I'll end up sobbing
I think a remap may be on the cards....... and beyond that I can see me making an investment in some additional tools and working on the suspension myself...... at least then I can only blame me when things go wrong
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Oh the joys of Alfa ownership good on you for sticking with it though - as Frank says - here's to many happy miles in your car
AO Member

County: Western Isles

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

"went missing in the post" - euphemism for I haven't ordered it as we are still trying to get Alfa to pay for the one we broke fitting it perhaps? (Customer will never know )
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver33p4 View Post
"went missing in the post" - euphemism for I haven't ordered it as we are still trying to get Alfa to pay for the one we broke fitting it perhaps? (Customer will never know )
LOL - someone with the same sceptical view on the world as me at last
Despite their best efforts to persuade me otherwise, I can't help but feel you're on the money
Still, I count it as gearbox 4 (or 3, I'm confused) for statistical purposes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
joining , quiet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page