Sensible choice Part 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 17-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Western Isles

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

Sensible choice Part 2

Considering a possible swap for our 2004 147 Lusso with a GTV (caught the GTV bug already after buying a twinspark last weekend)

Similar miles (mine is on 68K, the gtv is in 72K)and looks tidy but the only problem is that its a 1999 car.... am I looking at a lot of potential problems?) (it is also a V6 - but I can live with that )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SGould

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver33p4 View Post
Considering a possible swap for our 2004 147 Lusso with a GTV (caught the GTV bug already after buying a twinspark last weekend)

Similar miles (mine is on 68K, the gtv is in 72K)and looks tidy but the only problem is that its a 1999 car.... am I looking at a lot of potential problems?) (it is also a V6 - but I can live with that )
If it's been looked after, then I would say no more than a 147 or any other car. My 1999 twinspark has just passed 142,000 miles and still runs well. Have a look on the gtv/916 spider forum. There is a sticky detailing all the usual things to look out for. These cars aren't as fragile as people would have you believe. Good luck!

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent
Quote:

Sound choice Do check cambelt , idlers , waterpump etc have been done recently
AO Member

County: Dubayy
Also check if the radiator and thermostat are good , has any work been done on the rear suspension ie polybushed, has the catalytic converter been replaced, has the oil cooler been replaced etc etc.

My GTV is 1999, so just thinking of the bits that i have had problems/fixed with mine. My car has 109K and it still drives perfect, oops touch wood!

And check out the buyers guide in the GTV lounge (if you havent already done)

Good luck.

Andy
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 28-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

It looks as if the deal has hit a snag.

The HPi check revealed that the gtv was a Cat D write off. What I dont quite understand is that this happened in May 2000 when the gtv was only 14 months old. Surely a car of that age would not be written off for minor damage.

Previous owner was unaware of the write off status but did say that the guy he bought it from mentioned that it had once been stolen. HPi cant provide details but have confirmed that it is not currently on a stolen register. What effect will Cat D have on value? Some websites are saying -20%

Given the time period and the current condition of the car I am not too worried about the car as such. What concerns me is that I may have problems should I ever decide to sell in the future. I would be swapping a 2004 147 jtd Lusso with 69K miles that I know to be HPi clear.

Maybe I need to look for another gtv but that would probably mean selling the 147 first.

"When you sit in a Focus RS or a Golf R32 itís like sitting in a commercial for Lynx aftershave. When you sit in an 147 GTA itís like sitting in a Venetianís hand-made suitcase." J.Clarkson 2003.

Current fleet: 156 Sportwagon jtd 16V (facelift) 2.4 Spider, Leon Cupra SC, 147 Lusso
Projects: Spider S4, Matra Murena 2.2
AO Member

County: Fife
If it was stolen and they couldn't find it it would have been written off, and then it could have been recovered later and sold on as a cat D.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 01-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

Sorted out insurance. Heading to Inverness tomorrow to do the deal - hopefully. I will miss the 147 if it all goes to plan - I really like it.

The better half thinks its not as good on the corners as her previous 145 and current gtv so doesn't really like it all that much.... Plus she thinks it sounds like a diesel (Obviously the Alfa petrolhead disease has spread)

I am not sure if she realises that the gtv I am picking up tomorrow is a V6. I am just waiting for the big smile on the first test drive!
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

swapped the Lusso for a Busso!

Needs a bit of tlc and fettling but happy - so far.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
swapped the Lusso for a Busso!
dinomito

Great sound isn't it

(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 03-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

The only problem is that my wallet is going to be hit again! The 147 sailed through the last MoT four weeks ago. It had a good exhaust and four good tyres and I had just done the timing belt.

The gtv on the other hand has two front tyres that need replacing asap (only just legal) and the exhaust looks pretty ropey as well. Timing belt is not due for another year or so but I need a new MAF (ordered) and the airbag light has come on. The dip headlight beam is like a pair of candles and the wipers are leaving the water behind (probably wax on the screen).

There is also a small bit of lacquer lifting and the rear spoiler needs a re-spray.

Other than that it should be fun! It is nice and red inside
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:

The dip headlight beam is like a pair of candles and the wipers are leaving the water behind (probably wax on the screen).

Other than that it should be fun! It is nice and red inside
Bravo for going Busso

The Bosch aerotwin wipers have lasted several years and work great
Bosch Super Plus, Aerotwin & Multi-Clip Wiper Blades

Do check which bulbs are fitted, some are HB3 others HB4 , the 3 have a more limited choice :
ALFA ROMEO GTV/SPIDER*(94 onwards) Upgrade xenon car bulbs from Power Bulbs

The greatest improvement I found was to clean the lights
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post2604441
A hairdryer helps separate glass from frame and keeps the caulking soft
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 04-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.4 jtm

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the lights. I will be doing both gtvs at the weekend - provided the belt change on the twinspark doesn't take too long!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
choice , part

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page