Alfa friendly garage near Aberdeen? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 62 Old 05-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Alfa friendly garage near Aberdeen?

I just go shafted by my local MoT tester, guy who used to be nice quit & it's now a guy I beat up in school when I was 9 (he was a cheeky little ****) & he seems to be holding a grudge by taking an hour & a half to MoT a car & then fail it on bearings that were replaced 2 years ago, ****.

So anyway, I'm looking for an Alfa friendly place that doesn't rip the ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Sorry to read your post - the guy should be reported for bad professional conduct!

Depending where you are in Aberdeenshire? The Tower Garage in Laurencekirk passed our 159 with flying colours, will be taking the 156 and the GTA to him when they need to go through their MOTs so would definitely recommend him.

There are a few on here who recommend Kirkhill Autos in Dyce - but then there's some who don't rate them very highly - everyone's experience is different I guess - I haven't used them myself so can't say one way or the other.

I'm sure there will be a few folk along soon who will be able to recommend some others. Good luck
SGould

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymito10 View Post
Sorry to read your post - the guy should be reported for bad professional conduct!

Depending where you are in Aberdeenshire? The Tower Garage in Laurencekirk passed our 159 with flying colours, will be taking the 156 and the GTA to him when they need to go through their MOTs so would definitely recommend him.

There are a few on here who recommend Kirkhill Autos in Dyce - but then there's some who don't rate them very highly - everyone's experience is different I guess - I haven't used them myself so can't say one way or the other.

I'm sure there will be a few folk along soon who will be able to recommend some others. Good luck
I had a slightly different experience with Tower in Laurencekirk last year with my gtv, so now won't use them. They replaced a run out wheel bearing, which also ended up destroyed after two weeks. They also didn't bother to repair a torn driveshaft gater as part of the same job, despite being asked and agreeing to do it originally. When I picked the car up, they claimed they didn't like doing this job on French or Italian cars as they were 'too complicated'. Being charitable, it could be that they got a faulty part, but they gave the impression of not knowing what to do with older Italian 'exotica'. I ended up getting Alexander autos in town to do both jobs with no problems and they seemed ok. If it's a big job, I would always use CP in Dundee, although that's not too convenient. They'll give you a courtesy car though.

(Post Link) post #4 of 62 Old 06-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Laurencekirk is a fair bit away, Dyce isn't too bad, Dundee is way out of the question. i'm up in Fraserburgh & most garages don't even know what the 155 is.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquestioned View Post
I just go shafted by my local MoT tester, guy who used to be nice quit & it's now a guy I beat up in school when I was 9 (he was a cheeky little ****) & he seems to be holding a grudge by taking an hour & a half to MoT a car & then fail it on bearings that were replaced 2 years ago, ****.

So anyway, I'm looking for an Alfa friendly place that doesn't rip the ****.
once a cheeky little **** always a a cheeky little ****, maybe needs another lesson!
AO Member

County: Dubayy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAlfa View Post
once a cheeky little **** always a a cheeky little ****, maybe needs another lesson!
What a helpful post that was

Anyway i normally use this guy:

JOHN PARK MOTOR ENGINEERS LTD
Unit 3
Union Glen
Aberdeen
Grampian
AB11 6ER
Tel: 01224 585898

Very good and honest kinda guy ( his son also John owns the volks centre out in Kinswells, sorry just a usless bit of info)

Or for someone in Dyce you could try

JOHN MCINNES (DYCE) LTD
2 Airways Industrial Estate
Pitmedden Road
Dyce
Aberdeen
Grampian
AB21 0DT
Tel: 01224 722391

Good luck, and update us when you get it sorted.

Andy
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleggzer View Post
What a helpful post that was
sorry I don't have local knowledge and you are more then welcome
SGould

Is it worth adding a sticky where we can add names of good, Alfa friendly places in the North? (Lesley / Graham?). Could be useful for general repairs, alloy refurb, bodywork, ICE, ect.

(Post Link) post #9 of 62 Old 07-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thats a good idea. I find it is hard to get a place to deal with my car up here for the little work I don't do myself.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I used to use Ricky Gauld when he first had the rolling road in Blackburn but he's now out near Huntly..........I think he's mostly working on motorsport but he certainly helped me with my cars
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGould View Post
Is it worth adding a sticky where we can add names of good, Alfa friendly places in the North? (Lesley / Graham?). Could be useful for general repairs, alloy refurb, bodywork, ICE, ect.
Will have to check if this would be allowed Simon as there are rules to be followed so that we keep on the right side of the authorised traders.

Will raise it in the reps lounge and come back with an answer.

Cheers
Lesley
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

I have used Kirkhill Autos in Dyce since getting the GTA and have overall been pretty impressed.

Will write up a more detailed bit in the Kirkhill thread later but overall i would recommend them.

Chris
AO Member

County: Dubayy
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheparty10 View Post
I have used Kirkhill Autos in Dyce since getting the GTA and have overall been pretty impressed.

Will write up a more detailed bit in the Kirkhill thread later but overall i would recommend them.

Chris
There seems to be a fair bit of difference of opinion when it comes to Kirkhill Auto. I have used them in the past but dont think i would go back.
AO Member

County: Aberdeen
Over few years motoring with itallian cars i always use:

for repairs
Ian D Cheyne
27-29 St. Clair Street, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB24 5AL

I can definitely recommend him as whatever i bring he know's how to fix it and he's cheap as well! only downside is waiting time (around 1-2weeks) as he's always fully booked.

And for MOT's i only use
ABERDEENSHIRE COUNCIL, STONEHAVEN REPAIR DEPOT
phone: 01569763274
The only reason why I use them, can book the appointment with MOT tester and watch him testing my car so i know exactly is wrong with my car. Apart from that - all the guys working there are very nice and helpfull. Again downside is waiting time for appointment.
AO Member

Ive used Kirkhill a few times and they struggled to correctly replace a cambelt of a VW T4 so I dont think I would go back. THere are 3 good garages in Banchory, I tend to use Dee Garage, the chap is reet friendly and welcoming.
AO Member

I got quoted a huge price by Kirkhill for a cambelt replacement on my 1.9 Diesel Fiat Doblo (I know) ... FirstDrive near Stonehaven about half the price and 5 mins from home. They have a great reputation locally!
(Post Link) post #17 of 62 Old 21-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

It's all so far for me, about an hour atleast. I've given up with garages around here, so many horror stories heard & the few times I've used them I've had bad experiences.

I gave up in the end & did the repairs myself & the car passed it's MoT & is now for sale so I can work on the next one. That's a 155 V6 saved
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquestioned View Post
It's all so far for me, about an hour atleast. I've given up with garages around here, so many horror stories heard & the few times I've used them I've had bad experiences.

I gave up in the end & did the repairs myself & the car passed it's MoT & is now for sale so I can work on the next one. That's a 155 V6 saved
well done you - and a few bob saved as well as the 155
(Post Link) post #19 of 62 Old 21-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'll say I saved a bit, I was a total of 28 in parts & materials & didn't have to pay what would have been atleast 30 hours labour.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

GTV V6

Just to resurrect an old thread here.

My mate originally owned my 2.0 GTV TS and he blew the engine.. The cheapest place he could find to repeplace it was Abospeed on the Stonehaven side of the Netherly Road.

The guy that runs it is a bit of a one man band but he is an ex rally driver and really knows his stuff!!

He has sorted lots of problems for me in the last year and I can't recommend him enough!

His number is 07802 653635....and no I don't own shares in his business!! Just appreciate good service!!

One thing to mention, I don't think he has the tools to do Alfa Cambelt changes but I'm sure if you talked to him he could sort you out!
dinomito

I've just put The Beast in to Tower Garage in Laurencekirk to get a new radiator fitted. I know the owner quite well through the bidey in.
Picking it up on Friday so will report back on work be it good or bad.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomito View Post
I've just put The Beast in to Tower Garage in Laurencekirk to get a new radiator fitted. I know the owner quite well through the bidey in.
Picking it up on Friday so will report back on work be it good or bad.
Tower garage is where David put the 159 in to get its MOT and I think he was impressed with the guy. The GTA and the 156 will both be going in there soon to get their MOTs too - fingers crossed
AO Member

what we need up here is a good independent Alfa garage.... perhaps Autolusso want a scottish branch...
dinomito

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_blue View Post
what we need up here is a good independent Alfa garage.... perhaps Autolusso want a scottish branch...
Even better would be an Alfa Franchise dealer, so that I can get back to selling Alfa's

AO Member

have a word with Arnie, see if he wants to lose Kia and get Alfa back in next to the fiats...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
aberdeen , alfa , friendly , garage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page