Highland Road Trip - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 26-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Wave Highland Road Trip

My good lady and myself will be embarking on a road trip into the Highlands this April/May. We're going to the Melrose 7's and then visiting friends in Edinburgh and Dundee for a few days. As we won't be going to Milan now in the summer, I suggested that we take a trip to see the beautiful scenery up North

The rough plan is; heading from Dundee to Inverness/Loch Ness and stay somewhere near there for the 1st night. Then up to John o'Groats and along the coast road towards Ullapool for the 2nd night. Down to Skye, explore and stay there for 2 nights, then down for the final night somewhere near Loch Lomond.
Here is a google map of the rough route Road Trip

What I'd like to know is does that route look ok? Is there anything that we must visit while we're passing? And has anyone got any recommendations for hotels to stay, close to our planned stops. We have nothing booked yet so it can all change.
I'd like to visit a distillery too bloody tourists I hear you say

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
you should try to include the Applecross pass in your route south from Ullapool

Panoramio - Photo of Applecross Pass

Sorry not very clued up with Hotels up there.
dinomito

Road trip uo north

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaxeman View Post
My good lady and myself will be embarking on a road trip into the Highlands this April/May. We're going to the Melrose 7's and then visiting friends in Edinburgh and Dundee for a few days. As we won't be going to Milan now in the summer, I suggested that we take a trip to see the beautiful scenery up North

The rough plan is; heading from Dundee to Inverness/Loch Ness and stay somewhere near there for the 1st night. Then up to John o'Groats and along the coast road towards Ullapool for the 2nd night. Down to Skye, explore and stay there for 2 nights, then down for the final night somewhere near Loch Lomond.
Here is a google map of the rough route Road Trip

What I'd like to know is does that route look ok? Is there anything that we must visit while we're passing? And has anyone got any recommendations for hotels to stay, close to our planned stops. We have nothing booked yet so it can all change.
I'd like to visit a distillery too bloody tourists I hear you say

Thanks in advance
When were you you planning your trip up in to our beautiful area mate? We are planning a route up in that neck of the woods on the 17/18th of July staying overnight at the Royal Hotel in Ullapool. We'll be taking in the Gairloch loop on day 1, and doing the Northern loop taking in JoG and the east coast on day 2. Currently in discussion with Hotel to try and get some decent rates.
Cheers
Graham

(Post Link) post #4 of 28 Old 26-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgee View Post
you should try to include the Applecross pass in your route south from Ullapool

Panoramio - Photo of Applecross Pass

Sorry not very clued up with Hotels up there.

That's impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomito View Post
When were you you planning your trip up in to our beautiful area mate? We are planning a route up in that neck of the woods on the 17/18th of July staying overnight at the Royal Hotel in Ullapool. We'll be taking in the Gairloch loop on day 1, and doing the Northern loop taking in JoG and the east coast on day 2. Currently in discussion with Hotel to try and get some decent rates.
Cheers
Graham

To late for us we're up in April.
Have you got a google map of the route you're going to take?
Is the Royal Hotel any good?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

If the weather is good you'll have a great time! My only suggestion would be to move away from the coast in the very northern area if you can - you will really feel that you are in a wilderness!
dinomito

To late for us we're up in April.
Have you got a google map of the route you're going to take?
Is the Royal Hotel any good? [/QUOTE]

No google map of route yet, but i'll sort that out for you. I stayed in the Royal in Ullapool a few years back, 1st class service. Italian owners, with an Italian menu, do we need any more????
Would be good to meet up when your in the area, myself and p17sut (AOSS rep) are both about 30 minutes drive from Dundee.
Cheers
Graham

AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Brera, Saab 9-3

If you're going from John o'Groats to Ullapool on "the coast road" then you will pass my house

Look out when you go passed Reay Golf Club, often see my 147 and a 166 in the car park.
(Post Link) post #8 of 28 Old 27-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanano View Post
If the weather is good you'll have a great time! My only suggestion would be to move away from the coast in the very northern area if you can - you will really feel that you are in a wilderness!
Any particular point that we could drive inland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomito View Post
No google map of route yet, but i'll sort that out for you. I stayed in the Royal in Ullapool a few years back, 1st class service. Italian owners, with an Italian menu, do we need any more????
Would be good to meet up when your in the area, myself and p17sut (AOSS rep) are both about 30 minutes drive from Dundee.
Cheers
Graham
Thanks, I just wanted to know what roads you had planned so we don't miss out

I'll have to see what the boss says but we'll be with friends most of the time when we're in Dundee, I don't think I could sneak out Maybe you could join us on the trip up to Inverness/Loch Ness, it'll be a week day, probably a Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatouille View Post
If you're going from John o'Groats to Ullapool on "the coast road" then you will pass my house

Look out when you go passed Reay Golf Club, often see my 147 and a 166 in the car park.
Will do, it's been noted in my itinerary
AO Silver Member

Looks a really good route, although i would try and encorperate lochness itselfe but it would mean you travelling one bit of road twice.

The skye route you can do in a loop if u want, Talisker distillery is on skye, also Ben nevis distillery in fort william(my home town)
(Post Link) post #10 of 28 Old 01-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James125 View Post
Looks a really good route, although i would try and encorperate lochness itselfe but it would mean you travelling one bit of road twice.

The skye route you can do in a loop if u want, Talisker distillery is on skye, also Ben nevis distillery in fort william(my home town)

We're going to do Loch Ness on the 1st day before we head north.

I haven't looked at Skye yet but we'll do it in a loop as you say. Is the Talisker distillery any good? It would make sense to go there as we're staying on Skye for 2 nights.
AO Member

Highland road trip suggestions:

Just noticed your post, sorry! See when you leave Ullapool to come down to Kyle of Lochalsh? I'd consider going the coast road. That takes you to Braemore Junction (like your present route), but then turn right towards Dundonnell, through Laide - Aultbea - Poolewe - Gairloch - Kinlochewe. Far better views, better mix of road. At Kinlochewe, carry on towards Achnasheen, then when you get there turn right at the roundabout (the only one in the North West!) and you are back on your original route. Mileage is slightly longer, but broadly similar - and more rewarding! This route also takes you past Inverewe Gardens and the Beinn Eighe Nature Reserve (where I work Sunday - Tuesday and occasional Wednesdays. Call in!). I can echo the suggestion of the Applecross Road - unforgettable! Unfortunately, I sometimes have to do that in winter, which is often unforgettable for totally different reasons! Hotels? Myrtle Bank (TVR Tuscan) or The Old Inn in Gairloch. Kinlochewe Hotel (Mk2 Midget), and Applecross Inn...all good food, all real ale etc. Distilleries: We have the smallest legal distillery in the country...in Aultbea. Guided tours are available through the Drumchork Hotel, but you have to book a place - it really is small.
(Post Link) post #12 of 28 Old 18-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Thanks for replying tribbleslayer

Funnily enough, I was looking at that route last night and came up with this Ullapool to Portree
Great minds think alike but depending on how I feel I may chop out the Applecross route.

We'll keep an eye out for the Inverewe Gardens and pop in if we're not rushed

We're now staying at the Royal Hotel, Ullapool then the next evening at the Marmalade, Portree! So there is a fair bit of driving to be done
We'll stop on Skye for 2 nights before heading down to Loch Lomond.

Looking at our itinerary, it's a bit mad, loads of driving and not much sight seeing a pity really as there is so much to see, but hopefully this trip will be the bedrock for future trips up North
AO Member

Highland Holiday

Your route is absolutely bang on - given good weather, that has to be one of the best drives you could come up with.

It's on good twin track roads most of the way - except for the roads between Kinlochewe and Torridon, and the Applecross Road itself. But if it's clear, don't cut out Applecross - it's stunning. The road rises up about 2,500ft and the views are on a par with anything in the Uk, and indeed most other parts of the world. Coming down towards Kishorn (having gone over the pass itself) it's like an twisting Alpine road with 180 degree corners, switchbacks - the lot.

Have fun!
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribbleslayer View Post
Your route is absolutely bang on - given good weather, that has to be one of the best drives you could come up with.

It's on good twin track roads most of the way - except for the roads between Kinlochewe and Torridon, and the Applecross Road itself. But if it's clear, don't cut out Applecross - it's stunning. The road rises up about 2,500ft and the views are on a par with anything in the Uk, and indeed most other parts of the world. Coming down towards Kishorn (having gone over the pass itself) it's like an twisting Alpine road with 180 degree corners, switchbacks - the lot.

Have fun!
Def. agree. You must do the Applecross road, weather permitting. Great view of Skye from the top and if you have the time take a walk up to the TV mast where the views south towards Loch Kishorn are majestic. Heading down through Kishorn the wee Seafood restaurant is well worth a stop. Skye has superb roads and can recommend a visit to the Talisker distillery.

When in April are you heading that way? We'll be up there from 3rd to the 10th and always happy to give fellow Alfaowners a wave
(Post Link) post #15 of 28 Old 27-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG. View Post
Def. agree. You must do the Applecross road, weather permitting. Great view of Skye from the top and if you have the time take a walk up to the TV mast where the views south towards Loch Kishorn are majestic. Heading down through Kishorn the wee Seafood restaurant is well worth a stop. Skye has superb roads and can recommend a visit to the Talisker distillery.

When in April are you heading that way? We'll be up there from 3rd to the 10th and always happy to give fellow Alfaowners a wave

We're heading up on the 8th but will be around Edinburgh and Dundee for a few days first.
AO Member

County: Midlothian
When you are around Edinburgh I recommed a trip to The Museum of Flight at East Fortune. Five Hangers of Interesting planes and the ability to see and go on Concorde.
AO Member

Member car:

500 Abarth

Quote:
We're heading up on the 8th but will be around Edinburgh and Dundee for a few days first.
Will look out for you in Edinburgh as we're back there from the 10th to the 12th! GTV or GT?

Well Happy Highland Road Trip

The Royal Hotel is an excellent place to stay in Ullapool
regards Simon
AO Member

My mummy owns a bed and breakfast in Uig on Skye if you are interested. with gated parking or if you are desperate, in her garage!
(Post Link) post #20 of 28 Old 01-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GT View Post
When you are around Edinburgh I recommed a trip to The Museum of Flight at East Fortune. Five Hangers of Interesting planes and the ability to see and go on Concorde.
We'll have a look there if we have time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG. View Post
Will look out for you in Edinburgh as we're back there from the 10th to the 12th! GTV or GT?
decisions, decisions, possibly the GTV???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV6 si View Post
The Royal Hotel is an excellent place to stay in Ullapool
regards Simon
That's good as we're booked in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visorfett View Post
My mummy owns a bed and breakfast in Uig on Skye if you are interested. with gated parking or if you are desperate, in her garage!
We've booked a place in Portree now but thank you for the offer
AO Member

Member car:

500 Abarth

Quote:

decisions, decisions, possibly the GTV???

For these roads would be an awful shame not to have the V6, but just remember petrol prices away from the big towns can be Recommend u fill up in Inverness, Fort William etc. prob at the big supermarkets unless anyone local can suggest otherwise.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera, Saab 9-3

There is an Esso Garage on the way out of Thurso that does super for the same price as regular unleaded. I always fill up there. Still about 123/4 but not too bad for 98RON.

Only cheap place in Caithness is the Tesco in Wick by the airport.

If you are coming up the A9 north of Inverness then there is a Morrison in Alness which is usually pretty cheap. Avoid all the other towns on the A9 Though, stupid prices just because they can catch people out on the way up.
AO Member

this is unfortunately the public perception, but the little garages between Inverness and Thurso are not ripping people off, they buy the fuel at a set rate and only have a few pence margin on it, the price they pay before adding a profit is more than what Tesco and Morrison sell it at retail, just wait till all the wee places shut you will see the prices go up more then.
And I would not buy any fuel from Tesco or Morrison, its rubbish and Ive seen first hand the way they store it and their measures are less too.
Id agree though Cox's Filling Station at the end of the Scrabster road is fine for his fuel.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera, Saab 9-3

Aren't most of the petrol stations on the "Gleaner" network/franchise like bridgend in Thurso whose prices are generally about 5p less than those on the A9 in Brora and the like? I understand your points about smaller retailers and profit margins but my local village shop has lower prices than a lot of the garages on the A9 and it is totally independent as far as I am aware and only deals in small volumes so his unit fuel costs will be higher.

Anyway I was just trying to help a fellow Alfisti afford to enjoy his V6 not start a debate on the capitalist marketplace.

Where abouts are you based Simon, obviously around the Thurso area or very familiar with it?

Last edited by ratatouille; 09-04-10 at 15:16.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Did a road trip to Skye last month. Great driving roads and I'll add my recommendation for applecross road. the traffic isn't too bad this time of year aswell so you can make swift progress.

A word of warning about all the roads up there at the moment though...the pot holes are cataclysmically big...if there's a sign that says uneven road surface, believe it! I killed the GTV near Dornie on the A87 (bent driveshaft, buckled wheel, bent track rod, mashed wheel bearing) but almost lost control of the car! on the bright side picking up a Brera tomorrow.

similar holes spotted on Skye though they did seem to be in the process of repairing some.

The Three Chimneys on Skye is proposterously expensive but the food/rooms are excellent if you've got a REALLY special occasion or deep pockets.

Hope you have a good trip, i've no doubt I'll be taking the Brera up at some point to christen.

I'd take the GTV, my twinnie was perfect for taking care of the slow moving traffic so the extra grunt and howl of the V6 would be emense.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
highland , road , trip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page