Aberdeen Drivers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 39 Old 20-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeen
Not Happy Aberdeen Drivers

I'm from this city but I just can't believe the state of driving in and around town.

My current pet peave is someone who just dumps their car at jaunty angles on my street - they took up 3 spaces last night and I'm surprised the bus didn't smack their rear end the way it was sticking out. Parking in my area is bad enough as it is since the council extended the resident permit scheme to only one street away.

Rant two is people pulling out in front of me on roundabouts. It seems they clock a woman (seems to equal slow) driver and then decide that they have plenty of time to get out in front by which point I have to hit the brakes to stop myself from visiting their driver's seat. One guy even completely stopped and started shaking his fist at me! ******
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Aberdeen is a right mare to drive in , took me 30 mins just to get up Anderson Drive
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I was back in Aberdeen a few months back and didnt think it was too bad, there are a lot of stuck up arrogant drivers though.

Have just been in Madrid this week............now there is some interesting driving, especially parking - you basically just bump your car into the parking space by bumping it into the car in front and behind until you get your car parked
(Post Link) post #4 of 39 Old 20-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
I was back in Aberdeen a few months back and didnt think it was too bad, there are a lot of stuck up arrogant drivers though.

Have just been in Madrid this week............now there is some interesting driving, especially parking - you basically just bump your car into the parking space by bumping it into the car in front and behind until you get your car parked
my worst nightmare - I'd want to wrap my car in 100 layers of bubble wrap before I left it!

Tonight it was drivers overtaking parked cars when it's not their right of way, either making you stop or worse try to ram you over the side into the kerb. I've never been any good at playing chicken.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Yes its a horrible place to drive, overcrowded pot holed everywhere. Will they ever build that bypass? I tend to walk or use the bus.
AO Member

There really is something wrong with Aberdeen drivers when it comes to roundabouts and I don't think it matters what sex the driver is. My pet hate is the 2 roundabouts either side of queen elizabeth bridge, I get cut up there every morning whether I am riding my bike or driving, then to make matters worse the left hand lane on the bridge is always full of numpties who are turning right to go up Wellington Road. Forcing me to go up the right hand lane or sit on the roundabout and wait to be hit, before going round the roundabout 1 and 1/2 times to turn left, whereby you get cut up again by the ignorant barstewards who must think "hmmm, he's indicating right, which means he must be turning left so I can drive out in front of him"

Aberdeen drivers = Ignorant selfish prats (mostly), if I ever win the lottery the last thing I do before I leave this godforsaken town will be to pay for a dring lesson for everybody.

Sorry I should probably have posted that in the rant room
(Post Link) post #7 of 39 Old 21-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

There's a rant room?
AO Member

There is some proper tools on the road here, I was coming up north anderson drive in my 04 punto (I was a student at the time and thought this car was the be all and end all lol) and some IDIOT pulled out of middlefield place and hit the front passenger side of me and flipped his saab onto its roof.

But then there is drivers like us alfa drivers who just cant do anything wrong haha
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Can't agree more and things are not helped by the fine people from the council digging up the worst roads at the worst times and that god awful habit of putting pedestrian crossings 30 ft off all exits from a roundabout. As for the Haddagain ...
1..2..3..4..5..6.......and calm
(Post Link) post #10 of 39 Old 02-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

They have switched on the lights at the roundabout at the switchback at Kingswells, traffic was queing all the way back to the main roundabout at Kingswells. So glad I'm going the opposite way in the mornings. Now they are giving the 10 cyclists that actually use the Hazlehead cyclepath right of way!!! Unbelievable! (actually nothing is unbelievable round this way anymore. Apparently the pot holes on our city streets and surrounding areas are traffic calming measures!!)
AO Member

Member car:

Nothing

I remember reading some Lib Dem gimp had made claims that poor road conditions were great traffic calming measures.
Watching someone swerve onto your side of the road and having to go for the old emergency stop, nothing is more calming than that.

Also, for the cyclists on the road, if they were to hit some of those holes we'd potentially be looking at a head under the wheels death. At the very least a costly repair (for some of the road bikes, a VERY costly repair...)
Aberdeen is a joke. Whoever is in charge of the roads needs taken out back and shot. More police would help with the large number of idiots. Everyone makes mistakes, but there are plenty of idiots out there who could use a belittling talk and a fine.
I assume it's the council that'd be in charge of that, and we all know they're too busy throwing money down other pointless avenues. [cough]Marischal college[/cough]
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Funny to hear all the negatives about my home town ..............you should come to Qatar, its 10 times worse and when I'm back in Aberdeen I think its OK but the attitude of the drivers is shocking

First time driving in Qatar can be pretty scary. All drivers here drive 2ft off your back bumper and normally in huge 4x4's. Roundabouts most are 3 lane and you just go in whichever lane has the least amount of traffic no matter which direction you are planning to take and the Muslim attitude of "God willing" just adds to the chaos.................... I wanted the big Brembos on my 156 and I've used them many times to avoid disaster

anyway my cars have survived so far so it cant be that bad

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Member

I cant imagine what qatar is like but when I was in Turky over the summer their driving scared the **** out of me xd They dont care, they just pull out, and speed limits? LOL I was in a taxi/bus thing and I think its just about the fastest I have ever moved on 4 wheels haha
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Maddest driving I've seen is probably Bombay just through the shear amount of vehicles on the road but weirdest would probably be Siberia - driving in the snow at -30degC with just side lights at night and across frozen rivers which creak and shriek with the weight

Not really surprising I guess that I dont get phased by Aberdeen
AO Member

-30? imagine if you broke down

and frozen rivers? fk that for a trip I dont think I would have the guts to drive across a frozen puddle never mind a river lol
AO Member

Hate driving in Aberdeen. Dreading it when Offshore Europe starts as it will be even worse. Some of the pot holes have been there so long they should be declared as a site of historical interest. As for driving on the main back roads e.g. BoD to Pitmedden at times, don't get me started.
AO Member

It will be worse for me, I work in GE oil & gas right next to the exhibition center I am gonna be doding rich men in their rich cars that dont give a **** about anyone else
AO Member

You would be as well pitching a tent on the round about and staying there for the night rather than trying to get out of the GE car park Gregry254.
AO Member

Well I stay just off of north don side road so I could easily walk to work BUT I have to drive the company car between sites like every 2 hours so that should be fun lol
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Aberdeen needs its bypass at least five years ago, Anderson Drive is worse than the M8 at times
AO Member

I had the fun experience of losing all traction on a patch of black ice yesterday and having to choose between taking out a lampost or a set of a bollards. I went for the bollards hoping they might be fibre glass - they weren't, they were cast iron

Anyhow most folk driving past had a good stare/smirk as they drove past and proceded to slide and spin off where I had - surely my broken car should have been warning enough to take care. That combined with the fact that of the 4 kind souls (out of the hundreds of vehicles which drove by) who stopped to make sure I was OK and see if I needed help only 1 was local has convinced me further that the drivers up here are selfish ignorant numpties.

That and I want a refund on my council tax for the money they've saved by not gritting, but the council will probably just send me a bill for new bollards
dinomito

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyak View Post
I had the fun experience of losing all traction on a patch of black ice yesterday and having to choose between taking out a lampost or a set of a bollards. I went for the bollards hoping they might be fibre glass - they weren't, they were cast iron

Anyhow most folk driving past had a good stare/smirk as they drove past and proceded to slide and spin off where I had - surely my broken car should have been warning enough to take care. That combined with the fact that of the 4 kind souls (out of the hundreds of vehicles which drove by) who stopped to make sure I was OK and see if I needed help only 1 was local has convinced me further that the drivers up here are selfish ignorant numpties.

That and I want a refund on my council tax for the money they've saved by not gritting, but the council will probably just send me a bill for new bollards
Sorry to hear that mate, the council were definately caught with their pants down up there. The roads were clearly not gritted, and it's not like this cold snap was a surprise either, it was forecast all week!
Hope the car is not too bad

AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by madyak View Post
My pet hate is the 2 roundabouts either side of queen elizabeth bridge, I get cut up there every morning whether I am riding my bike or driving, then to make matters worse the left hand lane on the bridge is always full of numpties who are turning right to go up Wellington Road.
This drives me nuts! I'm from Edinburgh but we have an Aberdeen office and we work offshore so occasionally I have the privilege of driving in the Granite City. I still use the right lane to turn right up Wellington Road and it is surprising how many people peep their horns or speed up to stop you merging.

Anderson Drive is a nightmare, I can do Edinburgh to Aberdeen (Portlethen) comfortably in 2 hours but it can take a further hour to get to the airport at Dyce. Apparently the bypass has been given the go ahead and work should commence this year although they have said this many times before.

Then there are the seagulls..... don't get me started!
AO Member

dinomito, the front right of the car from the bumper to the front wheel is missing, the wing has been shoved back into the door and the front of the car took a huge hit buckling the bonnet and trashing the grill & bumper, so much so that I didn't want to pop the bonnet in case I couldn't get it shut again but there were some interesting looking fluids dripping out of it.

All because of my misplaced sense of chivalry, my wife didn't fancy driving her MX-5 in the snow so I was dropping her off. Still nobody got hurt which is the main thing, just lots of bent metal and a couple of holes in the pavement where I ripped out the bollards!
cammy

try driving in elgin lol they can only turn left in elgin. as the boy racer goes round and round on a left hand loop around the highstreet morons do about 100miles a night turning left with big bore exhausts on their little corsas and pugs the police just sit and watch this parade of neeps and do nothing .idk thats my little rant over lol cheers cammy fae elgin

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
aberdeen , drivers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page