Kirkhill auto, Aberdeen - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
North Scotland All events and potential meets in North Scotland

(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 13-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Kirkhill auto, Aberdeen

Well I've just had my car in Kirkhill for some work done and I thought I'd let you all know how it went.

I needed a radiator changed and decided to get someone else to do it rather than messing about in my drive way and just becoming more and more frustrated, possibly breaking things, and generally getting worked up - as per usual self-repair!!

So gave this place a call to see if they could help. Yes they could and I've got to say I was well impressed with the service. Right from the start they had lots of time for me. Spend a long time chatting on the phone with a chap who worked out a "worst case scenario" quote for me for the job and spend a lot of time explaining why it would be the worst case scenario.

Car was dropped off and the work was done. It came in at a little under the worst case scenario quote and was done quick. 1 afternoon.

When I went to pick the car up I had another decent chat with them and they are all clearly alfa nuts. Felt good to be in their company! They also have a few scrap alfa's there and with some decent parts on them so I was shown these cars and spoke about any bits and pieces I may want.

They also advised me about something else that may need looking at on my car in the future and told me that if I needed any more work doing to give them a shout a few days before and they'd sort me out with a courtesy car. They only have a few of them but seem to really value their alfa fanatics.

Basically the work was done quick and to a high standard. Came in under cost. And I felt like I was part of the process through all their communication about what was going on and why.

Very impressed and will definitely use them again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd SW

Re: Kirkhill auto, Aberdeen

Thanks for the info, good to know there is somewhere safe to entrust the car and not have to travel too far from home.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Just bookmarked them

Good to know there is a garage interested in Alfa's in Aberdeen area

Always had problems getting my Sprint tuned properly when I lived near Aberdeen
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

are these the boys near the airport~?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Yes, just off the main road past the airport

Maps of the world, street map search - powered by Multimap

Do they have any good scrap parts in there? I might nip in by next week when I'm back in Aberdeen for a couple of weeks

Last edited by Pascs; 26-03-09 at 03:28.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

well if they like thier alfas, then im down there pronto!
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

just to update, talked to them on the phone...very helpful, even giving me a lift to and from the railway station , as i live about 80miles away , leave the car with them...get the train.....brilliant!
AO Member

County: Aberdeen

Member car:

Nothing

Just to say, I had a similar experience with them, very helpful all the way through.
Wouldn't consider taking my car anywhere else whilst I'm around Aberdeen, nice folk to speak to and seem quite knowledgable.
Says he gets a load of Alfas in, was just taxi's when I went.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

i took it in today..finding it in the industrial estate was a nightmare! but the guys very helpful, took me to the train station , said they'll pick me back up when the car is done too....mind you they might put it on the bill for pick up hehe...but so far so good...
AO Member

Hi, I tried Kirkhill to get my engine management issues sorted.
They've changed the throttle peddle twice and the throttle body but still got MCSF and codes saying they're not working.
After throwing about a grand at them and being no better off they eventually told me that they couldn't figure it out and to go to an Alfa dealer to get a better diagnosis (which caused the exchange of heated words).
It was a bit disappointing in the end but Jamie the autosparky there certainly seems to know his stuff and is a pleasure to deal with.
Just be wary!

Member car:

GT

Kirkhill Auto, Aberdeen

I just put my GT into Kirkhill this morning. Turbo is not kicking in 'till I get to 2,500 revs. Gave them a buzz and they took the car straight away. Good start! Hopefully it is easily sorted. I will let you know how things develop. Fingers crossed.
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 lasso 06

Kirkhill have quoted me around 300 for a came belt replacement on a 159 2.4 ltr 06 reg arnold clark and others quoted 70o plase saying its a big job as the enjen needfs to come out is tis true
AO Member

I don't know about the 2.4 but I have the 1.9 and it cost about 300 and they didnt need to take out the engine. Not that I know of anyway!
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 lasso 06

Thanks

hi thanks for reply I think Ill phone round a few others
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
^^^ WTF??? One to be deleted and filtered too methinks . . . .
AO Member

156 2.4 JTD - Thought it was dead!!

For a few weeks now when I have been accelerating and the revs have gone above 2500, the engine management light has been coming on with a loss of power! It has always gone straight off and all was well. The handbook mentions that if it only comes on momentarily, no problems!

On Thursday, going up the Tyrebagger, [hill on a dual carriageway, for non locals] the same thing happened except when I looked in the mirror, I had produced a very black cloud!! The car coughed and spluttered, kinda cleared and I limped home. The car was not running well and was very stuttery!

On Friday morning, I tried to reverse it out of the garage but it would not rev at all and just kept stalling! There were more lights and warnings on the display than I could ever imagine!! Engine Management, ABS fault warning and finally one which said something about switching off the engine immediately and going to a dealer!

I thought that it may be a turbo or the intercooler pipe with luck!!

Phoned Kirkhill, spoke to Craig the 'Alfa' man, who happened to answer the phone, told him the above and he thought the same - he did say to check the oil level and if it was OK, the turbo 'may' be OK too! Running out to the car, I dipped the oil and all was well there!!

I trailered the car out late friday pm to Kirkhill.......... They were closed the weekend but got a call from the owner John, on Tuesday to advise that my car was sorted!

Turned out the EGR valve was stuck!! It was cleaned out and the car is running sweet again!

Bottom line is, I am very pleased with the service at Kirkhill - all the staff are very friendly and the service is very good - I would recommend them!
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 lasso 06

Hi I thought I would sleep on this review before writing it as its about an overall experience and the different facets.
I contacted Kirkhill after first contacting Arnold Clark who quoted me well over 700 as the engine needed to come out to fit a new timing belt on a 159 2.4lt diesel. My first instinct as always when dealing with Arnold Clark was to distrust what they were saying. The garage at Pitodrie was much the same. Other garages said it did not need the engine out this included Kirkhill I went with them doughting whether they were right.
The staff were very helpful courteous and good communicators i took the car in on Monday picked up a courtesy car. First the part had not been delivered so kept the courtesy car for another day. Then the engine had to come out so another day argued the price and got a very good deal.
I picked the car up the next day staffs were good the car read as far as I know the work is exhalent and guaranteed for a year. The woman Lorna I dolt with for booking in and estimates were exhalent.
Down side on picking the car up was it was covered with seagull **** they could have given it a quick wipe.
Would I use them again yes I would they were overall good they need to sharpen up their estimates in relation to the correct model and I got a good job at a good price
AO Member

County: Orkney Islands
i realise this thread is very old but i have a selespeed pump that needs replaced, are these guys capable to do it? trying to find a garage as far north as i can since i stay in orkney!!!!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 237
County: Moray

Member car:

GT jtd 156Sw jtd

HI ITS PAT AGAIN!
Forgot to mention Kirkhill , but you would need diagnostic, why don,t you get alfadiag yourself then it might help you decide whats what especially given your locality.

Member car:

Nissan

Madness Worst Garage Ever

I am so ****ed off by this garage. Super expensive and extremely slow service. We just need to change the battery which took them two days. Also they don't give you the full price before they do the work.

I should ask my colleagues first because they all think the garage service is rubbish and expensive.

I don't think there's anyone in our company willing to use this garage anymore.

Last edited by cialeen; 09-12-10 at 10:28.
AO Member

Im away to take my alfa 147 T Spark into them tomorrow as my car wont start due to a IMMOBILIZER/ASR FAILURE, they have said they will need to do a diagnostics test on it 1st which will cost 47.50 + VAT to start with then whatever the fault is after that we will have to come to some sort of arrangement 1st as i only bought the car on monday so i havent alot of cash left over but it needs sorted 1 way or another & the nearest alfa dealership is in perth or glasgow as far as i know & i live in aberdeen, so after reading all the posts on here about them it gives me hope that they will be able to fix my car & the main thing - at a reasonable price i hope cause as said i havent much cash left after buying my 2004 147 T Spark Lusso, if anyone has any ideas on how much the work will be could you please get in touch with me so i have a idea before going out there & letting them see my jay drop after they tell me how much it'll cost .. I just want to be prepared for the worst scenario, so if any 1 can enlighten me, then youre comments/messagtes would be very much appreciated, thanks...
AO Member

Try westhill service station ask for Derek, they did my brothers car a 156 very cheap same problem
AO Member

Member car:

147 TS

Mine is booked in at kirkhill for cams pump n variator, oh and clutch...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobbie-147 View Post
Mine is booked in at kirkhill for cams pump n variator, oh and clutch...
how much did they quote for all that?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgee View Post
how much did they quote for all that?
A lot of money i would expect

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Scotland > North Scotland

Tags
aberdeen , auto , kirkhill

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page