Autocar - Hamilton vs Schumacher - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 42 Old 01-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Autocar - Hamilton vs Schumacher

Just seen the latest cover of Autocar magazine, with this banner:
"Hamilton vs Schumacher......Who is the best?"
Surely this is typical of the detrimental hype being generated by the media?
Discuss please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Autocar - Hamilton vs Schumacher

I agree - Hamilton has never insisted on team orders or driven his opponents of the road - its clear who is the better driver
AO Silver Member

County: Nicosia

thats the most silly question ive ever heard.

they compare a newbie with a multi champion retired driver who made a DYNASTY in the mid 90s mid 00s with a chap who won some races in his first year. Ok it was a very good year for Hamilton but i dont think we can compare these two, especially not before Hamilton has another 2-3 years in F1. And yes im a Schumacher fan and no i dont think Hamilton will ever achieve what Schumi did. well i dont want to but i dont think so... i wish Schumacher could race another year, just for the comparison. what do u think ??

OMG, I HAVE THE ALFA BUG
(Post Link) post #4 of 42 Old 01-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I think that if Schuey did come back, and presumably with Ferrari, he would wipe the floor with everyone. Like him as a person or not, there has NEVER been a more ruthless, determined and pig-headed champion.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Yes it is daft. Ive heard it said by James "absolute t*sspot and general ruiner of F1" Allen, that even Schumacher hadn't won in his first year. Had Schumacher been in a (Williams Renault?) in his first year I could say with confidence he would have won a race in his first year.

That sort of question must surely come at the twilight of Hamiltons career, not at the start
AO Silver Member

County: Edinburgh

Much too soon. "Hamilton vs Villeneuve" would be a better question at the moment - both of them:
- were successful in other formulae
- came into one of the quickest cars on the grid
- won four races
- came second in the WDC.

I don't recall Villeneuve launching his autobiography in the same week as he left home (coincidentally, heading for a tax haven) because he wanted more privacy, though.

Mind you, Hamilton hasn't release a shoddy pop album, so maybe it's honours even on that last bit.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

A totally spurious comparison at this stage of their respective careers.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboy View Post
I don't recall Villeneuve launching his autobiography in the same week as he left home (coincidentally, heading for a tax haven) because he wanted more privacy, though.
Too right JamieBoy, on one hand he is saying he can't lead a normal life, no privacy. On the other, please buy and read my book, an insight into my priivate life (by which I mean matters away from what we see).

But of course, he and his whiter than white team have spoken, so must be true because they never tell lies or spin anything.........do they??
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivers71 View Post
I think that if Schuey did come back, and presumably with Ferrari, he would wipe the floor with everyone. Like him as a person or not, there has NEVER been a more ruthless, determined and pig-headed champion.
100% agree.

How they can try and compare the two is mad or they are just trying to get a response.

Chalk and cheese at this time. Maybe a few more years with Alonso Lewis will be a bit more
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Modus 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR View Post
Yes it is daft. Ive heard it said by James "absolute t*sspot and general ruiner of F1" Allen, that even Schumacher hadn't won in his first year. Had Schumacher been in a (Williams Renault?) in his first year I could say with confidence he would have won a race in his first year.

That sort of question must surely come at the twilight of Hamiltons career, not at the start
Michael was good, Excellent. Not Really

Michael could only drive well in Rory Byrnes cars.

Its the only cars Michael ever did well in. Michaels strong point is his leadership, not his driving. His driving was what gained the most from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Byrne

http://www.chicanef1.com/indiv.pl?na...20Byrne&type=G

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/persons/rory-byrne/

Last edited by Gilbertr14; 01-11-07 at 19:00.
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Just shows up Autocar magazine for what they are - Sh*te

Hamilton could not at this stage of his career wipe Schuey's botty. Jamie's comparison with JV is more accurate.

As for Schuey being the best, in his era undoubtably and in all time greats, certainly there or thereabouts.

Schuey as the most ruthless, determined and pig-headed champion?? Sorry, my money's on the late great Ayrton Senna there.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbertr14 View Post

Its the only cars Michael ever did well in. Michaels strong point is his leadership, not his driving. His driving was what gained the most from it.
I agree his leadership skills, or motivating those around him were brilliant. However, his driving was second to none. Ross Brawn said he'd never seen anyting like it, the fact Michael could drive and talk, analyse others race strategies, whilst putting in blistering laps. Also in the rain, Spa when Coulturd brake tested him (which he has since admitted by the way), he was over half a lap ahead of the whole field, at Spa, the longest lap of the year. I think this shows his driving skills were at least equal to his leadership
HSTDriver

Schumachers greates ability, IMO was his uncanny knack of being able to pull an extra 2-3 tenths over a lap precisely when he needed it, that super fast 'in' lap, or a blistering 'out' lap on cold tyres made al the difference on many occasions.

And probably the greatest wet weather driver I've seen (including Senna) Spain 1996 was incredible, a masterclass.

AO Silver Member

County: Nicosia

damn. dont we all miss him?
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I can't understand why the British press is so intent on pushing Hamilton so much. It's getting ridiculous.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I can't understand why the British press is so intent on pushing Hamilton so much. It's getting ridiculous.
Because they can either follow the story all the way to one of two ends

A) He becomes world champion (perhaps a few times over) and writes his name in the record books. The paper sells loads of copy and says 'We supported you all along, Lewis. Look at the coverage we gave you'

Or

B) If he fails to live up to the hype they do the traditional British media hatchet job on him like they did for Georgie Best, Gazza, Frank Bruno et all.

Either way, the gullible British public eat up the story and buy the papers day in, day out.

Chris155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
I agree - Hamilton has never insisted on team orders or driven his opponents of the road - its clear who is the better driver

Yeah, schuey.

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
What He Said !!
AO Platinum Member

I did read an articule in one of those big newspapers once about how the best politicians tended to be the greedy/power-crazed egomaniacs - ones you wouldn't trust with a fiver, never mind the "Nuke" button.

I think the most successful racing drivers are also probably not always going to display exemplary qualities (see Alonso). So saying Big Schu' was "pig-headed" is all very well.. but I think if he was "nice" he would be the old Fisichella rather than the old Lewie.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #20 of 42 Old 02-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

EsosseOZ....
No doubt Senna was a genius, but like all genius' he had flaws. Schuey didn't have flaws, just cold calculated manoeuvres, which not always worked out.
Nevertheless, I genuinely regret that we never saw him and Schuey racing together, at their joint peaks. To say there would have been 'sparks flying' would be an understatement, but I reckon the racing would have been phenominal
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Have to agree. Maybe they race together one year in that Champion of Champions race they have each year?

But the article was terrible as it was mainly 2-3 pages of pics and 5 a quarter page of text. Didn't really go into depth with driving abilities, races, strategy, mistakes etc etc. After 5 seasons of racing then you might be able to compare the drivers. But no way is the smug git Hamilton as good as Schumy (at the moment).
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Yeah, schuey.
Yep, he's definitely the inferior driver.
andyroo75

Quote:
I'd like to see him come back in a car thats slightly off the pace.
Maybe a BMW - be good to see how he did and if he could get it up to speed. Would be interesting

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
...but what would the Italian press be making of it if he was Italian and driving for Ferrari
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:

So they can cut him when he gets too tall.

And Kevin: the Italian press would be very reserved

Last edited by PeterWolf; 03-11-07 at 00:06.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
autocar , hamilton , schumacher

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page