FIA Ten-year freeze on engines !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 40 Old 24-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: -
Not Happy FIA Ten-year freeze on engines !!

Ten-year freeze on engines !!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41179

My biggest concern is whether the other teams will be able to catch up with the leaders of the pack. I might be over reacting but if one team have a problem with reliability, race pace issues...i could go on....and on....

Well at least they are not going down the 1.4 turbo route
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Re: FIA Ten-year freeze on engines !!

I think it is a bad decision! F1 is meant to be the pinical of motor sport, drivers skills and technical skills. being able to develop race engines does and will have a trickle down effect to "normal" road cars.

They ought to be given the same engine, a set of parameters that the engineers can change/play with. That way keeps the costs down but still allows for talented technicians to shine!
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

From the article: <<A change can be made after five years but only with the unanimous agreement of all stakeholders and following a further two-year notice period>>

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!

Unanimous agreement in F1. Yeah. Bring on the bribes.
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

From the article again: <<Total freeze means that there will be no exceptions for development of certain parts of the engine, as is the case under the current regulations.>>

Arf... Just make Ferrari the supplier of "base" engines (to be modified by customers) and let's be done with it already.

That way you'll have F1/A1GP a.k.a. FerrariGP on one side, and GP2 a.k.a. RenaultGP on the other.

( I'm just being sarcastic of course. )
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

A completely backwards step
AO Gold Member

Locked in engines, Standard tyres etc..not F1 anymore.

To make F1 socially acceptable you would have to ban it

Preumably all these changes so that they might get Hamilton a World Championship

Last edited by Stori; 24-10-07 at 21:35.
AlfaLincs

Stori Says
"Preumably all these changes so that they might get Hamilton a World Championship"

With luck..five or six world championships

AlfaLincs (and Storis a long way away so he can't come round and biff me)

AO Gold Member

KERS..the Technology that rhymes with Curs..... A dog of a Technology....
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
Stori Says
"Preumably all these changes so that they might get Hamilton a World Championship"

The origianal Stori was a King's Karl and owned most of Lincolnshire and alot of other lands before the Norman Conquest of England...and although we largely moved to the Borders, we still have Relatives in Lincolnshire...currently several around Brace Bridge Heath
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Stori Says

The origianal Stori was a King's Karl and owned much of Lincolnshire and alot of other lands before the Norman Conquest of England...and although we largely moved to the Borders, we still have Relatives in Lincolnshire...currently several around Bracebridge Heath
AlfaLincs

Eek, I sometimes work in Bracebridge Heath..thats when i'm not watching aircraft take off and land at RAF Waddington (wonderful way to waste an entire day).

Yes, poor old King Harolds housecarls were the SAS of their day..big strong and very brave, and they stood by him to the last man at Hastings..and the fens were the last part of the country to give in to the Norman invaders who were very cruel.

My white flag is already on my TV aerial..you can probably see it from the top of Ularoo.

AlfaLincs

AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Lets just pray we don't end up with diesels in F1.........
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
A completely backwards step
I totally agree

Ned
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Eek, I sometimes work in Bracebridge Heath..thats when i'm not watching aircraft take off and land at RAF Waddington (wonderful way to waste an entire day).

Yes, poor old King Harolds housecarls were the SAS of their day..big strong and very brave, and they stood by him to the last man at Hastings..and the fens were the last part of the country to give in to the Norman invaders who were very cruel.

My white flag is already on my TV aerial..you can probably see it from the top of Ularoo.

AlfaLincs

A King's Carl had House Carls fighting for him
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

So much for F1 being at the cutting edge of technology.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

If they want to promote a more socially acceptable image with improved economy and technological development that will filter down to cars that you and I can buy then they should limit the amount of fuel that can be used, bring in a fuel equivalence formula to allow the possibility of alternative fuels etc. including diesel! None of this is new...it was first proposed by L.J.K. Setright back in the 1970's.

BUT the real issue for the FIA is not social acceptability but costs and competitiveness hence they are dressing up the proposals with the present fig leaf!
(Post Link) post #17 of 40 Old 25-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dennis View Post
If they want to promote a more socially acceptable image with improved economy and technological development that will filter down to cars that you and I can buy then they should limit the amount of fuel that can be used, bring in a fuel equivalence formula to allow the possibility of alternative fuels etc. including diesel! None of this is new...it was first proposed by L.J.K. Setright back in the 1970's.

diesel!

The ear plug companies will go bust! I don't like the idea of loosing a 19k RPM roaring engine for a 4-5k RPM tractor engine in favour for the environment (not against diesel engines, but it has no place in F1)

andyroo75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokio View Post
diesel!

The ear plug companies will go bust! I don't like the idea of loosing a 19k RPM roaring engine for a 4-5k RPM tractor engine in favour for the environment (not against diesel engines, but it has no place in F1)

Agreed! at Le Mans the last couple of years the prototype class has been pretty boring with the introduction of the diesels. You just lose interest - the sound is a highlight of it.
I think they should also take the rev limiters off them. When do you ever see a blown engine anymore? That was always good fun

harrythesnotgobbler

The sooner the teams break away from F1 the better, the current ruling body of P.C, weak willed, bribe taking, wet blankets need to retire on their ill gotten gains and 5od off out of a sport they are trying their hardest to kill, we want competitive sport, cutting edge development, high speed action......in a couple of years time the drivers will be in toyota pious's with anything resembling a internal combustion engine ripped out of it.....and probably regulated to 3mph with anti-Ant collision radar ....

Not that it bothers me much.

(Ant as in the insect)

andyroo75

Also think there has been a freeze on the drivers for ten years already!! There all the same emotionless "icemen". All for corporate image.
Need wild outspoken guys like Irvine/Senna adding to the sport by having a punch up every now and again

If average Joe took over the FIA I bet the sport would be more exciting than it has been for years

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

Im beginning to dislike F1.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

I've been going off F1 for quite a few years now, since the advent of rule changes designed to 'improve' the spectacle for the floating (ie: unknowledgable - and I mean no offence to the countries 'new' to F1) viewers. I only wish a few of the manufacturers would have the [email protected] to finally break away and re-invent Formula Libre. Racing without limits to a very few appropriate rules: Minimum race distance 400 miles or 3 hours. ANY engine type and size. Any tyres.
The way F1 is heading, it will look more like Formula Ford, but without overtaking. Flippin' wonderful prospect!

"The best way to make a small fortune out of motor racing............is to spend a large fortune" Briggs Cunningham.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivers71 View Post
Racing without limits to a very few appropriate rules: Minimum race distance 400 miles or 3 hours. ANY engine type and size. Any tyres.
With technology in design being the way it is, such a formulae would provide very dull spectacle, even more so than F1 nowdays.

(Post Link) post #24 of 40 Old 29-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrythesnotgobbler View Post
The sooner the teams break away from F1 the better, the current ruling body of P.C, weak willed, bribe taking, wet blankets need to retire on their ill gotten gains and 5od off out of a sport they are trying their hardest to kill, we want competitive sport, cutting edge development, high speed action......in a couple of years time the drivers will be in toyota pious's with anything resembling a internal combustion engine ripped out of it.....and probably regulated to 3mph with anti-Ant collision radar ....

Too many Rules, everyone has to look at the rule book nowadays and get read every ruling hoping to catch someone out, good example of this is the last race of the season, "cooling the fuel" .......so what !! back to basics please!
andyroo75

Should give them a choice of engine option like they used to.
Maybe run either a smaller cc turbo as recently sugested or the current v8.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
engines , fia , freeze , tenyear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page