He's Been Murrayed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 11-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

He's Been Murrayed

Tonight on the BBC news Murray Walker said, 'In my considered opinion, he will probably go on to be one of the greatest of all time'. Now, as much as Murray is loved and missed as one of, if not the, greatest sports commentators of all time, accuracy was hardly his long suit. He had an uncanny knack of saying something, only to be almost instantly proven wrong.
Poor Lewis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: He's Been Murrayed

I think you're right there Frigger!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Yes indeed !!
AO Silver Member

Sad but true.It was nice while it lasted.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Murray Walker, as a person, rather than a commentator and F1 expert, went right down on my personal credibility list at a British GP in the 70s. When the public could park inside the circuit adjacent to the Paddock (and also the public could actually see the drivers out of their cars), one particular Ford Granada was parked in a strictly 'No Parking' area adjacent to the gates in the F1 Paddock fence. There were legal parking spaces within 200 yards. Despite numerous announcements over the loudspeakers for it's immediate removal, it remained there until the current practise session was over. Many cars were blocked in, including several circuit safety vehicles, and quite a crowd had built up around it. The owner eventually turned up - one Murray Walker - who said, after being politely reprimanded by circuit officials "Don't you know who I am?"
He disappeared from my estimation for evermore.

"The best way to make a small fortune out of motor racing............is to spend a large fortune" Briggs Cunningham.
AO Platinum Member

I'm sorry to hear that Drivers71 I met him at the British GP a couple of years ago (after he retired) and he seems quite a down to earth sort of chap.
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivers71 View Post
Murray Walker, as a person, rather than a commentator and F1 expert, went right down on my personal credibility list at a British GP in the 70s. When the public could park inside the circuit adjacent to the Paddock (and also the public could actually see the drivers out of their cars), one particular Ford Granada was parked in a strictly 'No Parking' area adjacent to the gates in the F1 Paddock fence. There were legal parking spaces within 200 yards. Despite numerous announcements over the loudspeakers for it's immediate removal, it remained there until the current practise session was over. Many cars were blocked in, including several circuit safety vehicles, and quite a crowd had built up around it. The owner eventually turned up - one Murray Walker - who said, after being politely reprimanded by circuit officials "Don't you know who I am?"
He disappeared from my estimation for evermore.
I hate when people pull that line
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
I'm sorry to hear that Drivers71 I met him at the British GP a couple of years ago (after he retired) and he seems quite a down to earth sort of chap.
Yeah, I met him a few times since then, and I think he mellowed somewhat, since those early days of TV coverage. But the memory stuck with me, despite the opportunity of parking within a mile of a GP paddock has long since ceased to exist!
AlfaLincs

Back in the late fifties/early sixties my adopted uncle Ken (in hospital with my dad during WW2) used to tear his marshalls pass in half at Aintree and give the other half to me and my brothers. You only showed the unripped bit to the official as you walked into the paddock..and pits!!!!. Got some amazing autographs, but lost them all, as little boys will do. I still have a photo of Jo Bonnier and his F2 Porsche somewhere though.

Not these days..but uncle Ken was still 'in the marshalling business' three years ago..well into his eighties, saw him at my dads funeral.

AlfaLincs

(Post Link) post #10 of 32 Old 20-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Quote:
Murray The owner eventually turned up - one Murray Walker - who said, after being politely reprimanded by circuit officials "Don't you know who I am?"
That's funny, he never struck me as having an identity crisis
AO Platinum Member

Murray is actually back commentating on Five Live this weekend for the British F1 GP....
(Post Link) post #12 of 32 Old 26-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggertool View Post
Tonight on the BBC news Murray Walker said, 'In my considered opinion, he will probably go on to be one of the greatest of all time'. Now, as much as Murray is loved and missed as one of, if not the, greatest sports commentators of all time, accuracy was hardly his long suit. He had an uncanny knack of saying something, only to be almost instantly proven wrong.
Poor Lewis.
Posted 11-6-07

Was I right?
HSTDriver

Murray Walker, mistakes and all, is ten times the commentator that James Allen is.........

AO Gold Member

Spin, spin, Spin
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggertool View Post
Posted 11-6-07

Was I right?
Not only did Lewis Hamilton 'choke' but in the last 2 races, so did his Team.... China and Brazil....Choke, Choke, choke
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
Not only did Lewis Hamilton 'choke' but in the last 2 races, so did his Team.... China and Brazil....Choke, Choke, choke
Funny, I thought that without the gearbox problem Hamilton would've won the title without a problem. Same as he would've won the title had he not been kept out by his team orders at China.

Guess some people only see what they want to see

AO Gold Member

In China the team kept him out well beyond his used by date and his tyres were well and truely buggered. Lewis came 'roaring' in knowing his tyres had little grip and 'binned it' ... Points in China, and he would have got points in China if they had brought him in 'early' ,would have meant he would have dramatically increased his chances in the last race.

In the Last race Lewis panicked when Alonso passed him and almost threw himself of the track trying to get past when he did not have too.

Sure Lewis Hamilitons dream run of reliabilty came to an end but he and his team finished the last half of the year on a downward trend ...
Ferrari ended the season getting stronger and stronger.....

Personally, I suspect that next year Ferrari will only get stonger..we will have to wait and see if McLaren can.......

(Post Link) post #18 of 32 Old 26-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Yep, he was Murrayed
HSTDriver

Bernie said with 2 races to go that Kimi would win the title, despite being 17 points adrift.

Wonder who his bookie is?

(Post Link) post #20 of 32 Old 26-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Murray
(Post Link) post #21 of 32 Old 26-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Obviously
Global Mod Team

Such a bright career brought to an abrupt end

AO Gold Member

Easy come, easy go
HSTDriver

Far more chance of Kimi being a one season wonder if you ask me, with the added kudos of being World champion I reckon he'll overdo the bars and strip clubs and wreck his career in a blaze of booze and topless dancers.......

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Murray Walker, as a person, rather than a commentator and F1 expert, went right down on my personal credibility list at a British GP in the 70s... remained there until the current practise session was over. ... "Don't you know who I am?"
To look at this from a different angle, Could "Don't you know who I am?" have been said to mean "I couldn't come and move it till after practice, as I was commentating, didn't you realise I'm the commentator?" rather than to mean "Go away peasant, I'm the famous Murray Walker"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
murrayed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page