Who rates Jenson Button. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 94 Old 04-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne & Wear

Member car:

916 GTV.

Who rates Jenson Button.

Just interested to know this, I got into a minor spat about him regarding his F1 career to date. I don't rate him BTW, I think he is overrated and don't think he will be a champion unless Honda and the team wave a magic wand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: Who rates Jenson Button.

i think he is a talented driver, whether a future world champion is another matter !! maybe he'll do a phil mickelson. What gets my goat is that he always seems to blame someone else for poor results. Bring back our nigel....he had a bit of the old dunkirk spirit and did it across the atlantic as well !!

EddieGTA

I don't think he is a bad driver, but he whinges to much for my liking. I'd just like to see him put his hands up once and say 'yeah it wasn't our day'

(Post Link) post #4 of 94 Old 04-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV.

....you know when you have a disagreement and you know your'e right, thats the feeling I've got now as only 2 replies and they are 2 points I made, his whingeing and his desire to win.
I do think he wants to win and wants it badly but it just doesn't come across in his interviews, I see him as far too laid back, more of a playboy, he always has an excuse when things have gone wrong and out on the track yes he is fast but I can't help myself thinking there is something lacking in his performances.
He is a good qualifier, this could be down to fuel load and other factors though to get him up there but I've never known him to finish higher than his grid position.
I feel uncomfortable not rating him to be honest, my support still goes to Schumacher (controversial I know as my mates at work hate him, you will nodoubt get the same hassle sbaddison) as I think there is still life in the Old King.

I think he will be very lucky to win 1 GP this year, never mind come away world champion as was being touted before the season started.

1.3 GT Junior, 2000 GTV Bertone, 1.5 Sprint Veloce, 75 3L V6 Widebody, 156 2L TS, 145 1.8 TS, GTV 2L TS x 2, Lancia Fulvia S3 1.6 HF, Lancia Beta 2L Coupe, Lancia Beta 2L Spyder, Fiat Mirafiori 2000 Sport, Fiat Coupe 20vT. Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG. Yamaha YP 125 Scooter. Not all at once
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Those who have said that he would become world champion this season have absolutely no clue whatsoever. But I find it very interesting that he cops so much flack and all of it comes from his fellow countryman. I think it all has to do with him blaming everyone except himself but maybe it has more to do with UK recognizing another Tim Hennman in JB.

My honest personal opinion is that he is just another fast driver in f1. It takes much more then this to win a Championship when few teams are on a similar level of performance unless you have complete and absolute dominance over the rest of the teams in terms of hardware which has occurred in f1 previously. Having said all of this I think that he will win races and I'll go on the record to say that he is fully capable of doing so even this year with a bit of luck. I feel that Honda isn't on top of their game and he was hampered by this and of course the bizarre lack of race pace which again I attribute to the car. They are only "qualifying" as far as I'm concerned. That's their race They haven't the race speed needed to stay in touch with the Renaults and Ferrari/McLaren. Until they can stay with them they won’t win.

Last edited by PeterWolf; 05-05-06 at 08:05.
AO Member

County: Peterborough

IMO he will always be an also ran! Good for the british fans if he proves me wrong but i doubt it.

Typical british driver.......it is always the car or someone elses fault never his own

He is better than Dave "buzzlightyear" Coulthard who i really cant stand, he even lost us the Race of Champions this year with a shocking display of driving.

Button should button it!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quick, smooth driver. Lacks confidence to win. Turncoat & disloyal to his employers. What he needs is a red race suit & proper management ;-)
AO Platinum Member

If Button was in the Renault we'd all be eulogising over how brilliant he is.

If he'd won heaps of races before now, we'd be saying what a duff car the Honda is.

A driver can only drive what he's got. I think Button Boy is as good as any of the top 3 drivers out there at the moment.

If he hadn't welded himself into that Honda contract he'd be available to go to Renault next year...

He may win a race this season but only if weather/circumstance knackers the 4 other cars that will otherwise consistently finish in front of him. To be champ' he needs a better Honda (next year...?) or a different car.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S.
If Button was in the Renault we'd all be eulogising over how brilliant he is.

If he'd won heaps of races before now, we'd be saying what a duff car the Honda is.
Nonsense! We haven't been eulogising Fisi who is IN a Renault. He (JB) is far from brilliant. And he HASN’T won heaps of races(none) and this is the point this is why he has come under scrutiny/pressure and this refers to Honda as well. They have a great history in f1 and they have to start showing results .

Last edited by PeterWolf; 05-05-06 at 13:53.
(Post Link) post #10 of 94 Old 06-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV.

.....the only way I can see him winning races is if Honda come good within the next few seasons. They have a good F1 history to fall back on but as was pointed out a few weeks back by Nick Fry (I think) "this team is still young and learning".

We have seen how Renault can rejoin F1 and within a few seasons start to worry McLaren and Ferrari and then ultimately end the dominance of the Ferrari's, maybe we are expecting Honda to do the same, especially when he is seen to pay 16M to get out of his ties with Williams.

I would love to see him swap cars with Alonso, we would then see his true talent or maybe left to wonder what all the hype is about.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

My take is that top drivers in F1 are actually very similar in terms of raw pace. What sets them apart is set-up work, consistency and ability to work with the strategy chosen by their team.
I think Jenson is as fast as Alonso or Schumi, is very consistent but I don't think he's been able to get out of his team as much as these other two guys have (I am a strong believer without Schumi, Ferrari would have won half of what they actually won).

Having said that, the Honda is a good car, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a race before the end of the year.
AO Member

County: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaddison
Quick, smooth driver. Lacks confidence to win. Turncoat & disloyal to his employers. What he needs is a red race suit & proper management ;-)

No!!!! We want winners in Ferarris! JB seems to consider winning when he beds a good looking girl. Fine in some cases, but not when it's your job.
JaB

Jensen Button is picking up the journeyman torch dropped by Buzz Lightyear.

He will always be among the top runners(as is Buzz).
He will win a few races ( as did Buzz) but wdc he will never be.
AO Member

I see him as a younger version of Ralf Schumacher. Possibly going to win a few races through his career but never really reach the top.
As for the car underperforming on raceday. Yup, that's a problem but surely Button should shoulder some of the blame as he is one of the people who tests the car and should have some input into its setup, if it's not performing right some of the responsibility to improve it is his.

I wish him well but I don't think we'll ever see him as champion.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I can't quite understand why the British as a race seem to take great pleasure in trying to undermine people who are high achievers, be they sportsman or business men, or in a racing driver some thing of a cross between the two!.
JB is a damn good driver, he is smooth, quick, makes very few errors, can obviously set a car up right and above all of that is able to keep is cool when things go wrong. He is probably up there with the top 5 or 6 in the current crop of drivers, any one of which could win championships.

I can't remember him whinging much, he generally tells it how it is, perhaps those that seem to think he is just whinging don't understand the complexities of what the guy is trying to achieve. If whinging is trying to explain what a problem is without actually giving away technical information of use to other teams then OK he's a whinger!

The other thing some people seem not to understand about F1 is that the 'TEAM' is every bit as important as the driver or the car, how many of the current teams have won a recent world championship?, Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Renault. That's it, and don't think that Renault walked in and won straight away, because they didn't Benetton had already won, Renault just bought them and provided the cash. Honda bought BAR, if they had bought Williams (for instance) instead they may well have won instead.

BAR/Honda what ever their name is are still a few seasons from having the right managment structure to win a championship, no matter who is driving.

I for one will continue to give JB my passive support, he seems to be a good bloke and is probably the best driver we have produced in the UK since...... erm..Mansell...... he did whinge but boy was his driving good to watch
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

JB... think he's a good driver, but needs some more umphs and scars to win... I mean, he's got potential, but is still less inexperienced compared to his peers... longer term, I think he may be one of the guys to beat... unless MS drives until he's 75...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
I for one will continue to give JB my passive support, he seems to be a good bloke and is probably the best driver we have produced in the UK since...... erm..Mansell...... he did whinge but boy was his driving good to watch

"Passive support" hmmm.. Very interesting. I think a lot of brits have nothing but bad things to say about him but "passively" desire for him to start winning so they can jump on the bandwagon. He's got nothing on Mansell as far as I'm concerned. There are a lot of dud drivers in f1 and I think he's better then them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch
I can't quite understand why the British as a race seem to take great pleasure in trying to undermine people who are high achievers,
"High achievers" ….. Is he??? If he thinks of himself as one just because he got into f1 then he shouldn't be there.

Last edited by PeterWolf; 13-05-06 at 02:45.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWolf
"Passive support" hmmm.. Very interesting. I think a lot of brits have nothing but bad things to say about him but "passively" desire for him to start winning so they can jump on the bandwagon. He's got nothing on Mansell as far as I'm concerned. There are a lot of dud drivers in f1 and I think he's better then them.

"High achievers" .. Is he??? If he thinks of himself as one just because he got into f1 then he shouldn't be there.
Don't forget it took a long time for Mansel to win anything and he had more than his fair share of detractors.
On what basis do you not rate JB as a high achiever then?, he is probably one of the best Racing drivers in the world, you said so yourself in one of your more logical posts.
By Passive support I meant I don't go to races and I don't go around wearing Honda logo's etc. In fact I don't 'support' any of the teams I just enjoy F1 and have done since I was small and I'm old enough to remember cheering on Jackie Stewert!.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch
Don't forget it took a long time for Mansel to win anything and he had more than his fair share of detractors.
On what basis do you not rate JB as a high achiever then?, he is probably one of the best Racing drivers in the world, you said so yourself in one of your more logical posts.
By Passive support I meant I don't go to races and I don't go around wearing Honda logo's etc. In fact I don't 'support' any of the teams I just enjoy F1 and have done since I was small and I'm old enough to remember cheering on Jackie Stewert!.
I don't wear any logos as well and I just love f1 always have. I don't see what is illogical about my post and I never said that he is one of the greatest drivers in the world. In a previous post I said that he is just another fast driver in f1 so you can see the difference between the two. I do however stand by my words that he will eventually win a race or two. And again he doesn't have anything on Mansell even though it took him a while to win anything. These are my personal opinions and I will stand by them.

If a couple of podiums are considered to be "high achievements" then he is a high achiever.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

What I am trying to say, perhaps badly, is that to get to F1 at all is a 'high achievement' at least to do so on merit like JB rather than for some eco-political reason like certain others who I won't name.

F1 should be and still is the pinnacel of Motor Sport you don't get to front row grid slots on a regular basis by being a run of the mill driver. Let's for instance compare it to a proffesional footballer, to get to the pinnacle of his sport and be a 'high achiever' you might play for your country and be one of 25 or so chosen in your country to do so, this is a 'high achievment' is it not?. But to be in F1 you have to achieve that on a world scale, and be one of 25 in the WORLD.

In truth I think we are thinking along the same lines, but our measure of 'high achievement' seems to be differant .

I would like nothing better than JB to be world champion, but in truth I think Alonso, Raikenon and Schumi, have that buttoned up for the next few years.....pun intended
Not because JB isn't good enough but because they will be in winning teams.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Yep I see your point and I agree that our "high achiever" measurement formula differs. I'm not trying to minimize his achievement – for us mortals it is beyond imagination. But for him it shouldn't be until he wins a lot of races or the championship. And I was actually defending the guy At least I said that he would win a race. Off to qualifying then. To watch it of course

I see JB as pretty much on a par with Rubens: in fact, just a touch below. On a good day, he's stunning, on a poor day, well......

The issue may be that he doesn't have the experience to develop the car, the skills to lead Honda, or that his driving style is too idiosyncratic: it's obvious that Rubens (smooth and forceful) wants a different direction to Jensen (smooth and gentle) (FWIW, I'd classify Senna as smooth and viscious.). And if Honda want to go with the majority, they'll follow Rubens development path.

Both can win GPs. With the right car under them both are capable of consistency, but I don't hold out any great hopes for this year.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

He's a top order F1 pilot but not a top F1 driver IMHO. He's had plenty of time and opportunity so far in good equipment, despite what he keeps saying when he breaks it. He should have pressed on and converetd at least one or two podiums into wins by now.

I still want him to do well but I think all the early praise and the playboy life-style went to his head. He may be trying to cast off the latter now (I don't know) but it's probably too late. He is likely to get a few poles, several podiums and maybe a victory or two (if he's lucky and the team "doesn't let him down AGAIN!!!" -it's all their fault mummy) over the next couple of seasons.

You wouldn't back him to win even any one of the remaining races let alone say which it might be.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Platinum Member

I think the problem for JB is that many of his podiums were achieved a couple of years ago when Ferrari were winning everything. In a normal season he might well have got a win, but with the Ferrari speed and relaibility he didn't have a chance. The one time that either Ferrari's failed to win McLaren had got their act together and produced a superfast (albeit fragile) car. The one time JB had the fastest car he had Trulli in the Renault stuck in front of him at Monaco. Last year showed that not even MS in a Ferrari could win if the cars not fast enough (unless if Jordan and Minardi were the only opposition).

In every step, I hear your sobbing
Dare I break the shade with one caress
Dare I trespass to lift the veil
To touch the lips so soft and frail

It may be that love comes once and once only, preceded by rehersal, followed by regret.

Know well that however right a man may be they always find the fallen one guilty.

All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe

Right now Jenson reminds me of Jarno Trulli (whom I admire). They are two very talented drivers who drive for high-budgeted, but not most successful teams.
If they had had the luck to sign for "the right team at the right time", they might have made it. Right now, their current contract goes on, and they must have had to lower their WC hopes as they grow older; otherwise they might start showing some openly frustrated behavior that would be deemed unprofessional by all teams.

Remember Alain Prost with Ferrari when he said that the "Ferrari [drove] like a truck"? Bang, fired, pretty much on the spot. ( Lucky for him he had been WC 3 times, so Williams took a bet and gave him a shot for his 4th title. ) And while Jenson, Jarno, Ralf and others are patiently helping their team to make the car finally WC-competitive, they're still making millions... Why not stay cool?

One who did sign with "the right team at the right time" was Jacques Villeneuve. He joined Williams in 96 and became world champion in 97. Damon Hill had joined Arrows, and although he had been WC in 96, Damon won nothing in 97. Renault then bailed out in 98, and Williams wasn't competitive anymore, JV won nothing in 98. Then JV ran for BAR, never a prime contender, and won nothing. etc...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
button , jenson , rates

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page