Grand Prix Masters this Sunday - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 11-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Grand Prix Masters this Sunday

For all F1 fans who hark back to the old days where racing drivers were real drivers, F1 cars were proper F1 cars and Murray Walker was commentating!

http://www.gpmasters.com

BBC2 - Sunday 13 Nov, 4pm-5.20pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Re: Grand Prix Masters this Sunday

Cheers, will watch that
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

I'm quite looking forward to this.

It's not going to be about the technology or the money - it's just going to be about the race and the delight of racing.

(do you think Bernie & Max will be watching...... )
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Can't wait to see / hear Muzza again. F1 is not the same without him

I wonder how "El Leonni" will do?

Cheers,
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 12-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Nigel Mansell pips Warwick and Fittipaldi...
Fri 11 Nov, 8:30 PM

The inaugural Altech Grand Prix Masters South Africa got off to a spectacular start today as the 15 Masters, including reserve E. Salazar, took to the historic track for the opening two Free Practice sessions.

Many drivers have not driven the fast undulating circuit for over a decade – back when the circuit was clockwise in direction. Today’s anti-clockwise layout served as the ultimate proving ground for the 600 horse power GP Masters cars and with minimal driver electronic aids on offer, race fans were treated to a jaw-dropping display of race car control with the Masters power sliding their way through the unforgiving high speeds bends of Kyalami.

Nigel Mansell and Derek Warwick took the the first and second fastest times respectively ahead of Emerson Fittipaldi during the second Free Practice session.

Varying fuel levels, different tyre types and set-up changes mean the times are not strictly reflective of the pace. This will be truly determined by tomorrow’s qualifying hour.

All the drivers kept their trouble-free machinery on the track and with a 30 percent chance of rain predicted for tomorrow’s qualifying and Sunday’s race, the much anticipated battle of the legends promises to deliver some action and performances of an epic kind.

Nigel Mansell

“I have only one complaint from today and that is these guys behind me need to slow down. My last three runs were right on the limit and I must say this track takes quite some getting used to. After putting on new tyres I had a lot more grip than I had earlier this morning and it was a lot more comfortable."

"Kyalami is one hell of a race track. We were hitting speeds of around 180mph in places today and I know it’s going to get even more competitive over the weekend. Everyone is pushing the limit and even though many of us haven’t raced in anger for over a decade one thing is clearly evident from today – nothing has changed. Our instinctive-ness, hunger and competitive desire remain intact.”

Derek Warwick

"I last drove competitively in Grand Prix racing in 1993 and am therefore very pleased and surprised to be as quick as I am today. When you’re a long time out of the car you start asking yourself a lot of questions like, are you going to be brave enough? Is it going to frighten you? But I feel comfortable in the car."

"I think we have all experimented with different types of tyres today and having found the right rubber, the grip out there is simply staggering in these cars. The cornering downforce levels are mind-blowing out there and I have to congratulate Scott Poulter (CEO, GP Masters) and the team for what is a stunning job. I really do feel humbled to be in the company of such great drivers albeit alarmed at how mighty fast they still remain. I am not sure what the weekend holds but if today is anything to go by, it will be awesome! We are all good mates, yes, but let’s see how friendly we are come Sunday afternoon!"

Emerson Fittipaldi

“These guys are very very fast indeed! It’s difficult to keep up with them! They are truly crazy! After I had my massive crash in Michigan a few years back, I thought that was it for me. No more racing. I was then invited to Silverstone two weeks ago to test the GP Masters car and then made the decision to come here."

"It’s very enjoyable for me to be driving a super fast machine again and delighted to be racing with these guys. I’d like to congratulate everyone within GP Masters for successfully putting this together. Very few people thought it would happen and even less could have predicted what we have seen today, and this is only the Friday session! We have a fantastic team and 15 cars with the greatest names in the world - I’m proud to be amongst them and I hope this is going to be a great show come Sunday. It will be a very fast race and I ask one thing to everyone - slow down a little!”

Scott Poulter, GP Masters CEO

“We have witnessed history in the making today and what these drivers demonstrated out on track has surpassed even our wildest expectations. The bravery, tenacity and sheer skill on display today was breathtaking. Fans, sponsors, media and team members alike were mesmerised by what was only a practice session! The weekend promises to re-crate some magical driving and I am sure we are in for some aggressive duelling out there. Alongside our partner Altech, I am extremely proud of what both team and drivers have achieved in such a compressed time frame. We have lost sleep, yes, but the end dream has been worth every last effort. Everyone here is still pinching themselves, especially me!”

GP Masters Friday Practice Times - Kyalami

1 Mansell N. (GBR) Team Altech 1:35.086s
2 Warwick D. (GBR) Team Lixxus 1:35.367
3 Fittipaldi E. (BRA) Team LG 1:35.728
4 Patrese R. (ITA) Team GPM 1:35.790
5 Lammers J. (NED) Team LG 1:36.407
6 Cheever E. (USA) Team Altech 1:36.666
7 Stuck H. (AUT) Team Phantom 1:36.775
8 Danner C. (GER) Team Unipart 1:36.806
9 Johansson S. (SWE) Team Phantom 1:37.338
10 De Cesaris A. (ITA) Team Unipart 1:37.736
11 Arnoux R. (FRA) Team Golden Palace 1:38.091
12 Salazar E. Reserve 1:38.187
13 Tambay P. (FRA) Team Lixxus 1:38.964
14 Laffite J. (FRA) Team GMF 1:39.082
15 Jones A. (AUS) Team Golden Palace 1:43.295.

TTFN

Edwin
AO Silver Member

That should bring back some memories - thanks for the tip.
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 13-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Nigel Mansell on Pole Position
Sat 12 Nov, 4:55 PM

Nigel Mansell claimed the Pole Position for the inaugural Grand Prix Masters race this afternoon at Kyalami. The 1992 World Champion lapped the 4.2606km circuit with a best time of 1:33.428s, half a second clear of his nearest rival on the day Emerson Fittipaldi.

Mansell completed just nine laps in the 45-minute qualifying session setting the two fastest laps of the session. Brazilian legend Fittipaldi had no answer to the British racer's pace in qualifying but vowed to keep Mansell honest in tomorrow's 60-minute race.

While there was a large gap between Mansell and Fittipaldi in second position, a tenth of a second covered positions three down to seven with Ricardo Patrese taking third position on the grid just ahead of Jan Lammers, Andrea de Cesaris, Derrick Warwick and Christian Danner.

Eddie Cheever qualified in eighth position ahead of Hans Stuck, Stefan Johansson and Rene Arnoux. Elisio Salazar took over from Alan Jones who pulled out of the event due to neck pain and the Chilean was 12th fastest ahead of Patrick Tambay and Jacques Laffite.

Nigel Mansell

“I’m obviously very pleased indeed to be the fastest man today but it’s not really about fastest laps. We’ve made history today and it’s as simple as that! We’ve just successfully launched a brand new type of racing and this is not a show, it’s the real thing! I defy anyone to watch those qualifying laps today and say that these guys aren’t driving on the edge! These cars are nothing short of serious thoroughbred racing machines and when unleashed on this magnificent race track, the demands upon the driver are no different to what it took years ago to win the world championships that we all did. We went quick today. Really quick!"

"I haven’t driven like that for a very long time and on one occasion, I had a wheel on the dust and I still didn’t back off. Crazy stuff, it really was! No one must under estimate what has been achieved here over the last few days. Scott Poulter (CEO Grand Prix Masters) and his team have pulled off a miracle in bringing this stunning concept to fruition. Tomorrow’s race will undoubtedly deliver more surprises and as you can see from every one of us, we haven’t lost anything when it comes to our speed, commitment and love for this great sport!”

Emerson Fittipaldi

“I saw Nigel’s number five car come out in front of me during that last run and I thought I had to follow to see where the short cuts were! Nigel saw me behind him and as he backed off a little so did I. He then picked it up again and so did I. It really was just like the old days! Both of us pushing each other to the limit and at times beyond! I hit some traffic coming out of the pits on my second run but overall, I could not have asked for more."

"These cars are true racing beasts and it’s an incredible feeling to be behind the wheel. I loved every second and I’m looking forward to tomorrow. We’re all going to drive really hard and take these cars to the limits they deserve. A new chapter in motor racing has just kicked off this weekend and will stay for generations to come I’m sure.”

Ricardo Patrese

“Another fantastic day for Grand Prix Masters and to be amongst such great company is a pleasure for me. The racing is proving to be as hard as it was back in our time and I must say I love it. Our rivalries strength over a very long period of time and our respect for each other has grown in that period. We’ve all only raced on the old Kyalami but this new layout is unbelievable! No time to stop and think anywhere! Far from easy, no margin for error and breathtaking cornering speeds! It’s very physically demanding but we would have it no other way!"

"While we have nothing to prove anymore, the renewed acquaintance with this sport is something I am sure we will all enjoy for quite some time to come! To say I am excited about tomorrow is an understatement, it really is. After today’s performances, I’m not sure it can get any better but Grand Prix Masters keeps proving us all wrong. In addition to the sold out Kyalami circuit tomorrow, many nations will be watching the race on television and given what has been achieved so far, a compelling battle of giants is surely the icing on what has been a massive cake so far!”

GP Masters Qualifying Times - Kyalami

1 Mansell N. (GBR) Team Altech 1:33.428s
2 Fittipaldi E. (BRA) Team LG 1:33.998
3 Patrese R. (ITA) Team GPM 1:34.048
4 Lammers J. (NED) Team LG 1:34.082
5 De Cesaris A. (ITA) Team Unipart 1:34.086
6 Warwick D. (GBR) Team Lixxus 1:34.087
7 Danner C. (GER) Team Unipart 1:34.132
8 Cheever E. (USA) Team Altech 1:34.602
9 Stuck H. (AUT) Team Phantom 1:34.755
10 Johansson S. (SWE) Team Phantom 1:34.841
11 Arnoux R. (FRA) Team Golden Palace 1:35.453
12 Salazar E. (CHI) Team A Tech 1:36.582
13 Tambay P. (FRA) Team Lixxus 1:36.948
14 Laffite J. (FRA) Team GMF 1:36.958.
wrinx

Looking forward to this....

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
Looking forward to this....

wrinx
Red 5 did us proud. Thoroughly enjoyed Much better than boring A1. Is GPM to continue? I hope so!

WRC was also great. Felt sorry for CMaC. Nikky Grist was in tears

Roll on Monte Carlo in January 2007
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 13-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Mansell shows the old magic remains
Sun 13 Nov, 5:12 PM

Nigel Mansell won the inaugural Grand Prix Masters racer this afternoon in front of packed grandstands at Kyalami. Starting from Pole Position, the 1992 Word Champion controlled the race from the outset, withstood the pressure from Emerson Fittipaldi in the closing stages and took the chequered flag less than a second ahead of the Brazilian.

With three Formula One World Championships between them, it was perhaps unsurprising that Mansell and Fittipaldi dominated the 30-lap event.

It was a clean start to the 30 lap race as Mansell retained his advantage from Fittipaldi through the first corner. All 14 racers have nothing left to prove on the track and were never going to try a banzai move early on in the race.

Less than an hour later, Mansell took his first win since Adelaide 1994 from Fittipaldi while Ricardo Patrese finished third 20 seconds behind the leading duo. Andrea de Cesaris proved he has lost none of his fire as the Italian barged his way past Derrick Warwick mid-race and pushed hard to finish in fourth position just behind Patrese.

Warwick would finish in fifth position after an eventful race while Hans Stuck was sixth ahead of Christian Danner, Eddie Cheever and Jan Lammers who ran as high as fourth but dropped back to ninth in the closing sages.

Elisio Salazar finished in tenth position while Rene Arnoux recovered from an incident with compatriot Jacques Laffite to finish a lap down in 11th ahead of Patrick Tambay. Laffite had a torrid race as a mechanical problem saw him pit twice and run several laps down before being assaulted by Arnoux and ending his race. Stefan Johansson’s race was short-lived as the Swede spun his Team Phantom car out on the second lap of the race bring out the safety car.

The series packs up for the time being and starts again in 2006 when Alain Prost joins the series.

Nigel Mansell

“What a race! I started on pole and that was the critical factor today given how hard I was pushed by Emerson. He just didn’t give up and nor did I expect him to. I tried to break-away from him but he just kept his nose behind my car and on a couple of occasions made moves on the inside of corners! He really is a legend and someone I admire immensely. Today, however, he was a pain in the ass! I could have pushed a little more but wanted to preserve my tyres. In such extreme conditions of heat combined with the aggression of driving, the tyres were well cooked and controlling the car to the first place win was one hell of a challenge."

"One slip, one mistake or one spell of misfortune would have meant Emerson taking the win! He had better traction than me coming out of corners but I had to maintain my own pace and keep the thoroughbred race machine on the track. I simply could not have driven any harder out there today! The sacrifices, dedication and patience invested by everyone involved in GP Masters has been nothing short of exemplary and I take my hat off to Scott Poulter (CEO, GP Masters), Delta Motorsport who have given us these wonderful race cars and Altech for their faith and support. It still hasn’t sunk in yet to be honest. What we have all achieved here this weekend is beyond what anyone could have predicted or imagined! If there are any doubters left out there I am sure they will be few and far between.”

Emerson Fittipaldi

“An amazing race and one which was a joy to drive! I remember a few years ago when Nigel came over to Indycars and the late great Senna told me to watch out for Nigel’s car control. Today I witnessed that first-hand again and at times, I really thought he had crossed the limit but time and time again he managed to keep the car on the track – and get faster!"

"He will make a mistake, I kept thinking and I tried to pass him on several occasions but there simply wasn’t enough braking zone. Nigel kept his foot glued to the throttle for 30-laps and I had little choice but to accept 2nd place today. Not one of us put a foot wrong out and on lap 23, we posted exactly the same time – 1m.37.069secs! In fact, the only thing I did wrong today was not finishing in 1st place! A truly banzai race in every sense and we are already excited at the prospect of what 2006 holds for this stunning new series.”

Riccardo Patrese

“The car control on display out there today was amazing – just like the old days. Drivers were on the limit, cars were on the ragged edge and my smile throughout could not have been bigger! Jan (Lammers) and Andrea (De Cesaris) were pushing me throughout the race and gave me a really hard time. The front two, however, were getting away all the time and in the end I accepted 3rd place but had to make sure I didn’t lose it. I was fortunate enough to have clean air in front of me but at no point was there time to relax."

"In fact, I thought the whole concept of the GP Masters was about entertainment but this is not the case. These guys are clearly deadly serious on the track and racing amongst these gods was like time standing still – I really do mean that. My mirrors were full of race cars throughout the 30-laps and at no point was there time to relax. This is a hardcore group of racers who have reminded the world of their hardcore heritage. I want more and I want it now!”
wrinx

Very good, first half was a bit processional as everyone preserved tyres but then they all went for it. More entertaining than F1 recently and hard to believe the ages.

One to watch.

wrinx

Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA

County: Gauteng

AND I was there to watch it LIVE !!!!!
Great racing.
I live about 2 km from the track, so even when I cannot see racing there, I can hear it.

I've done quite a few laps on the track on Alfa track days.....what a great experience.

You should all be green with envy
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaddison
Can't wait to see / hear Muzza again. F1 is not the same without him
Well I managed to miss it

How did ole Murray get on? Motors TV have a different comentator!
AO Gold Member

Bl**dy Sky+!!!!

I was out on Sunday, so I set Sky+ to tape the BBC2 coverage which should have been 2 hours. Checked the Sky+ planner last night to find that it had only taped about a hour's worth, which means I missed all of the pre-race commentary.

Still, I have the main race, which I will watch tonight
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Metz
You should all be green with envy

I certainly am

AO Platinum Member

I had the same problem with Sky+ but got all of the race (in 4:3 format on my 16:9 TV )

Muzza was class. He's 82 but still got it. He's done a great autobiography if anyones after an Xmas stocking filler

Cheers,

Simon
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

Thumbs Up Re: Grand Prix Masters this Sunday

It was great to see evidence that some drivers do actually have a personality. The grid seemed to be so relaxed before the race it was a joy to watch.
Just a pity that the Motors TV commentators were SO pathetic, IMHO they weren't as funny as they thought they were

But, a good race, and it was great to see Nige back in action

I'm really looking forward to the next one
AO Silver Member

When & where is the next race - does anyone have the official web site?
AO Platinum Member

http://www.gpmasters.com

It was great, but I thought it was it rather difficult to tell who was who.

I could easily spot Mansell's (red), Warwick's (Green) and Stuck's (black) cars but the rest were too similar looking.

As all the cars are identical designs, the organisers might consider making the paintwork a bit more distinctive.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Bizarrely - the website does not seem to list the entire seasons events - when you click 'circuits' all it brings up is Kyalami?

Perhaps I am doing it wrong.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy
Bizarrely - the website does not seem to list the entire seasons events - when you click 'circuits' all it brings up is Kyalami?

Perhaps I am doing it wrong.

From what I understand, they have not yet confirmed venues or agreements for another season - at the moment it's all in plan and negotiation. Maybe they don't want to put it up on the web-site until the ink is dry on the paperwork.......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
grand , masters , prix , sunday

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page