Schumacher rides Ducati MotoGP bike - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 26-10-05 Thread Starter
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

Schumacher rides Ducati MotoGP bike

Schuey blagged a go on the Desmosedici at Mugello where he completed 20 laps, with his lap times starting at 2m20s dropping to a best of 2m13. Rossi's lap record set this year stands at 1m49.2.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/servle...P--280x190.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pic, the one printed in MCN is much clearer. But from his expression he looks like he's utterly sh*tting himself... like any mortal would on that thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Re: Schumacher rides Ducati MotoGP bike

Read elsewhere about this.Apparently Rossi was behind by a similar margin when he tested in a Ferrari F1 car.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

I could be wrong but my receollection was that Rossi blew people away with how well he did at his F1 test given his absolute lack of experience.
(I don't know about the size of the margin though.)

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Read elsewhere about this.Apparently Rossi was behind by a similar margin when he tested in a Ferrari F1 car.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

If I'm allowed to contribute something to this discussion thread without being told to shut up by the "lads"...

"Schumacher also tested at Fiorano on Wednesday, part of his preparations for Sunday's San Marino GP, where the German will be going for his fourth victory in the season's first four races.

"Schumacher's best time was 58.433 seconds, well off his record pace of 55.999 set in February on the same track. Ferrari did not release Rossi's times, although the ANSA news agency clocked him - unofficially - at about 59.5 seconds."
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...ticleId=411987

So given that

a) Rossi didn't have/wouldn't have his times released and
b) I would expect most bikers to do better behind the wheel of a car since they more than likely actually drive cars in their everyday life, whereas I wouldn't expect the reverse to be true

it seems that Spiderman's recollection is the more accurate of those presented.
--Toronto
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561

Member car:

busso powered

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=40269
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Hi Toronto,

pax

I wasn't so much arguing with Spidy as just meaning to saying that I thought Rossi's times were pretty impressive.
There were even rumours after this trial that Rossi would join F1 in 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/4543781.stm

Even Schumey wasn't unimpressed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3650899.stm

That said yes I agree they are not directly comparable and that the bike would be more dangerous and intimidating, and Schumey must be quite a keen bike rider himself.

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider
If I'm allowed to contribute something to this discussion thread without being told to shut up by the "lads"...

"Schumacher also tested at Fiorano on Wednesday, part of his preparations for Sunday's San Marino GP, where the German will be going for his fourth victory in the season's first four races.

"Schumacher's best time was 58.433 seconds, well off his record pace of 55.999 set in February on the same track. Ferrari did not release Rossi's times, although the ANSA news agency clocked him - unofficially - at about 59.5 seconds."
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...ticleId=411987

So given that

a) Rossi didn't have/wouldn't have his times released and
b) I would expect most bikers to do better behind the wheel of a car since they more than likely actually drive cars in their everyday life, whereas I wouldn't expect the reverse to be true

it seems that Spiderman's recollection is the more accurate of those presented.
--Toronto
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker
and Schumey must be quite a keen bike rider himself.

Cheers,
TB
not necessarily....

watched tiff needell on 5th gear a couple of years ago on a bike track day. Now he has a full licence but doesn't ride bikes at all. But the way he was getting his knee down, you would never have known!! he did eventually give too much throttle & ended up on his @rse.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

You could be right - I'll admit to knowing very little about bikes or riding them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc_Gee
not necessarily....

watched tiff needell on 5th gear a couple of years ago on a bike track day. Now he has a full licence but doesn't ride bikes at all. But the way he was getting his knee down, you would never have known!! he did eventually give too much throttle & ended up on his @rse.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Spider
--Toronto
The first part of that is not entirely true. The difference in latteral G-Forces on one's neck simply dont compare on a normal car vs the aero package from an F1 car. We're talking different ballpark entirely.

I will agree that Rossi is likely to do better in a car vs schuey though, because Vale in his early days used to race go-karts as well as bikes, until he had to make the choice between the two. So he isnt out of depth on a race track on 4 wheels. The re-adjustment on his body to G though is a different matter all together.

Im not even entertaining the possibility of the Doctor going to F1. A sport which lost its appeal when Nigel Mansell and the last of the true F1 cars (in my mind) used to race on track.

If he does, it will be because of the amount of money thrown his way for the sake of Ferrari marketing......David Beckham and Real Madrid comes to mind

What a sad that that will be in the history of 2 wheeled racing Just when ratings and recognition of the sport has reached an all time high, in no small part to the Doctor! Not to mention crazy entertainment value for the viewer.

Hum

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
bike , ducati , motogp , rides , schumacher

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page