F1 2006 season - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 901 Old 24-10-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Wave F1 2006 season

Hi.

I thought I'd get in 1st

What do you think of the new rules?

V8's with 6-700 bhp.

Different rear wings to reduce turbulance & alow overtaking. May be contested & introduced in 2007

It's a knock out quali sessions (3 phases. Slowest 5 out after 1st 15 min session; another 5 out after 2nd stint. Remaining 10 cars to go for it in the final 20mins. Should be exiting on TV.

Tyre changes are back. Good. No more nursing the cars to save the tyres.

Should see my man to his last c'ship before he manages Ferrari in 2007!
Slicks will be back in 2007 as well!!

Roll on next season. A1 is not doing it for me sorry

Cheers for now,

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: -
Re: F1 2006 season

Just about anything would be better than the existing situation.
The current regulations have lead to cars which cannot run close enough to each other that passing readily possible.

I also suspect that the current cars are too large for many of the tracks they are running on. Especially street circuits like Monarco.

Proposed car configuration for 2008 or earlier if possible (2007), is below

Last edited by Stori; 25-10-05 at 07:16.

Tyre changes to pander to Bridgestone. Wonder how much was in Bernie and Max's brown envelopes for that one?
(Post Link) post #4 of 901 Old 25-10-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel S
Tyre changes to pander to Bridgestone. Wonder how much was in Bernie and Max's brown envelopes for that one?
There were quite a few circuits where the Michelins suffered too and post race, drivers from the "other" teams said they couldn't push 'cause of their tyres. Monaco springs to mind! Bridgestone are in a 14 to 6 minority too, remember!
(Post Link) post #5 of 901 Old 27-10-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Hi.

A few people ask me if my Avitar is actually a tattoo well here is a photo of me enjoying the good life near Monaco last year. There is no question about where my loyalties lie

I've loved Ferrari's since I was a kid watching Magnum and the when our Nige drove for them after Williams. El Leonni I beleive the Tiffosi called him!

Cheers,
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 T-Spark

I like the sound of the new qualifying sessions with the fuelling rules in the middle of the rules, it should make things quite interesting.

Can't believe the F1 officials needed to do a survey though to find out the public actually want to see some overtaking!

Michelin are not happy about the tyre rules. I for one hope they take the ruling to court and win. It's a blatent nod to Bridgestone and their favourite red team.
(Post Link) post #8 of 901 Old 29-10-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel S
Michelin are not happy about the tyre rules. I for one hope they take the ruling to court and win. It's a blatent nod to Bridgestone and their favourite red team.
And your problem is???

As I said before, it's a 14:6 ratio in favour of the French tyred teams. Anything to stop MS & Ferrari winning

This years champioship was devalued in my opinion. A well fettled GTA could have given a decent showing Given equalish cars, MS & F would still be on top....by a mile!!

How was this year devalued?

This year was the start of the future of F1.

The FIA are blatently favouring Bridgestone and their runners. Remember in 2003 when Michelin were on top, the FIA changed its rules to suit Bridgestone just at a time when Ferrari looked like they weren't going to win anymore.

The reason Ferrari didn't win in 2005 is because they weren't good enough. Simple matter of fact.
AO Gold Member

Well I do not know what Michelin are *****ing about. I suspect that if they hadn't cocked-up Indianapolis then we may still have one Tyre rule.
The cost savings made by using only one tyre for the race was easily cancelled by the public relations disaster caused by Michelin.

However I cannot help but think that the one tyre rule is incompatable with F1 safety aims.

There is no such thing as a safe tyre failure. They are generally catastrophic failures and when a tyre fails or are damaged, anything can happen.
When a tyre is worn it is also more likely to l suddenly fail without warning.
Most of us have presumably experienced the more regular punctures that come with tyres that are well worn and close to safety limit.
Also racing drivers and teams want to win and so will put themselves and others at risk to do so by pushing tyres beyond their limits. ref Raikkonen suspension failure.

Last edited by Stori; 30-10-05 at 19:52. Reason: added section on tyre safety
AO Member

Member car:

02 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaddison
As I said before, it's a 14:6 ratio in favour of the French tyred teams. Anything to stop MS & Ferrari winning
And who was to blame for that? Bridgestone and Ferrari dug thier own hole over the past few years. Ferrari wanted exclusive tyres and be paid $30 million just so Bridgestone could have the 'honour' of giving them tyres. Yet when the other teams got fed up of Ferrari spec tyres only they went to Michelin who were happy to give choices. Ferrari start to ***** about it, test non-stop and still get literally nowhere.

It wasn't just about tyres, Ferrrai just created a dud car that was always chasing it's tail no matter what the conditions were, and if the budget cuts within FIAT are true then 2006 could be more of the same.
(Post Link) post #12 of 901 Old 14-12-05 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Some updates on the Ferrari side pre-2006.

MS comes back early to rally the troops as he feels he doesn't deserve a holiday and states he's "hungry"

Massa going well in testing this week but using a restricted V10

Badoer was fast last week in the V8 but kept crashing

Vodafone will switch to McClaren in 2007

Cheers for now,
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Thumbs Up Re: F1 2006 season

Quote:
Hi.

A few people ask me if my Avitar is actually a tattoo well here is a photo of me enjoying the good life near Monaco last year. There is no question about where my loyalties lie

I've loved Ferrari's since I was a kid watching Magnum and the when our Nige drove for them after Williams. El Leonni I beleive the Tiffosi called him!

Cheers,
Il Leone indeed. Enjoyed watching every race he drove for Ferrari. Thought Nigel was the only one that could give Senna a run for its money in terms of pure speed.

Shame we never really got to see Senna vs Schumi
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Hi.

I thought I'd get in 1st

What do you think of the new rules?

V8's with 6-700 bhp.

Different rear wings to reduce turbulance & alow overtaking. May be contested & introduced in 2007

It's a knock out quali sessions (3 phases. Slowest 5 out after 1st 15 min session; another 5 out after 2nd stint. Remaining 10 cars to go for it in the final 20mins. Should be exiting on TV.

Tyre changes are back. Good. No more nursing the cars to save the tyres.

Should see my man to his last c'ship before he manages Ferrari in 2007!
Slicks will be back in 2007 as well!!

Roll on next season. A1 is not doing it for me sorry

Cheers for now,
Ferrari 05 was a slow car with or without the new regulations. They went backwards even though they were testing like maniacs. MS singled out Bridgestone for the underperforming Ferrari – they even retired twice because the tires had no threads half way into the race. When Bridgestone finally composed itself and delivered good tires, guess what: the Ferrari was still slow and of course MS changed his mined and admitted that Ferrari dropped the ball as a team. MS should definitely help out in 06 testing; god knows they pay him enough. Despite the relatively slow Ferrari, MS was making unusual mistakes that never used to happen to him. I firmly believe that he was out of form in 05.

As for the new rules: Finally!! We’ve discussed on so many occasions the stupid tire and qualification rules. I’m so glad they are gone. And I think despite everything 05 was an exciting year. It was full with drama and good racing. What a stellar performance by Alonso/Reno enormous talent, speed, maturity and confidence – I honestly was very surprised by his driving. I predict another exciting year in 06 despite the drop in HP and a couple of cylinders. Already there are some interesting testing stories.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot

Shame we never really got to see Senna vs Schumi
It’s a no contest. Nothing comes close to Senna. I don’t care how many championships MS has won or will win in the future or any one else of the present F1 drivers for that matter.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWolf
It’s a no contest. Nothing comes close to Senna. I don’t care how many championships MS has won or will win in the future or any one else of the present F1 drivers for that matter.
Not sure mate, not sure. Senna was probably F1's fastest man ever but did have a tendency to lose concentration and get overly passionate (crashing out several times whilst overtaking/being overtaken). Plus, given how often cars and regulations changed, it would have been interesting to see if Senna would have been capable of adopting succesful race strategies...
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot
Not sure mate, not sure. Senna was probably F1's fastest man ever but did have a tendency to lose concentration and get overly passionate (crashing out several times whilst overtaking/being overtaken). Plus, given how often cars and regulations changed, it would have been interesting to see if Senna would have been capable of adopting succesful race strategies...
We are seriously off topic, but I agree that Senna was not the "Don Bradman" of F1
(Post Link) post #18 of 901 Old 09-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

A discussion for another thread perhaps but :-

1. Schumacher is still Alive

2. Senna ain't

This must count for something!

No point being fast & having balls the size of space hoppers if you can't stay alive

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. Senna knew he was heavy on fuel, low on tyre pressure (following the Safety car period) thus low on ride height, knew this would mean bottoming out and lead to catastrophic loss of downforce. He thought his amaizing wheel skills would keep him on track. They didn't. He went full beans too soon into the very fast but very bumpy Tamburello and......

Yes, he applied opposite lock with amazing reaction, but off he went and we all know the tragic result.

Murray Walker knows his F1 better than most. He's seen them all come & go. He states in his Biog that MS is the greatest driver of all time, all things told. He made this statement 3 championships ago I think so I guess he was right
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
A discussion for another thread perhaps but :-

1. Schumacher is still Alive

2. Senna ain't

This must count for something!

No point being fast & having balls the size of space hoppers if you can't stay alive

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. Senna knew he was heavy on fuel, low on tyre pressure (following the Safety car period) thus low on ride height, knew this would mean bottoming out and lead to catastrophic loss of downforce. He thought his amaizing wheel skills would keep him on track. They didn't. He went full beans too soon into the very fast but very bumpy Tamburello and......

Yes, he applied opposite lock with amazing reaction, but off he went and we all know the tragic result.

Murray Walker knows his F1 better than most. He's seen them all come & go. He states in his Biog that MS is the greatest driver of all time, all things told. He made this statement 3 championships ago I think so I guess he was right
Yep NOW you’ve convinced me- by bringing Murray Walker into the argument. What credibility does he have?!? Give me a break. He’s clueless and often senile. It’s amazing how you know the details of his tragic death like you were in the cockpit of the malfunctioning Williams. You’ve “successfully” found the bumps and his bad driving as the reasons for his death and as proof that the currently “living” drivers are better whilst completely overlooking the catastrophic failure of the steering column.

And another thing. You completely miss the point about Senna. His unbelievable intensity, precision and partnership with his engineers was the stuff of legends as well as his enormous driving talent, speed, sense and uncompromising commitment. The whole point of senna was challenging and pushing the limits of man and machine as well. You need to understand this before you can understand anything about senna.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

And I do apologise for the “of topic” discussion but I was forced into it

Some comments taken out of an interview with Alain Prost:

"Honestly, it's very difficult for me to talk about Ayrton, and not only because he's not here any more. He was so different, you know, so completely different from any other racing driver - any other person - I've ever known..."

"I couldn't believe he tried it on that lap, because, as we came up to the chicane, he was so far back. When you look in your mirrors, and a guy is 20 meters behind you, it's impossible to judge, and I didn't even realise he was trying to overtake me. But at the same time I thought, 'There's no way I'm going to leave him even a one-meter gap. No way'. I came off the throttle braked - and turned in."

"Ayrton was certainly the best driver I ever raced against, by a long, long way. He was, by far, the most committed driver I ever saw. To be honest, I think maybe the best race driver - in terms of really applying intelligence - was Niki, but overall Ayrton was the best, by far. He was very successful in everything that mattered to him, everything that he set out to achieve for himself."
We shared an awful lot, after all, and one thing never changed - even when our relationship was at its worst - was our great respect for each other as drivers. I don't think either of us worried too much about anyone else (drivers).

"The pressure was so high, so high... If we had to do it all again, I think I'd say to Ayrton, 'Listen, we're the best, we can screw all the others!' With a lot of intelligence, it could have been such good dream. Still, even as it turned out, it was a fantastic story, don't you think? And I think, in a way, we're missing a little of that today."

http://www.prostfan.com/senna2.htm

Gerhard Berger on Senna
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/audio/40...rger_senna.ram

Michael Schumacher on Senna
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/audio/40...humi_senna.ram

Last edited by PeterWolf; 22-05-09 at 23:55.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

http://www.pureluckdesign.com/videos...1990-Senna.avi

And this is truly an amazing video. The setting is sixteen years ago in Monaco 1990 and Senna doing a lap (in a McLaren MP4/6) -- stick gear shifting through violent vibrations, controled sliding, punishing pace and attacking his way into history. An ethereal legend in life and death. We will never forget you.

Again I apologise for the change of topic.

Last edited by PeterWolf; 10-01-06 at 04:34.
(Post Link) post #22 of 901 Old 10-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Boring Re: F1 2006 season

Quote:
And I do apologise for the “of topic” discussion but I was forced into it

Some comments taken out of an interview with Alain Prost:

"Honestly, it's very difficult for me to talk about Ayrton, and not only because he's not here any more. He was so different, you know, so completely different from any other racing driver - any other person - I've ever known..."

"I couldn't believe he tried it on that lap, because, as we came up to the chicane, he was so far back. When you look in your mirrors, and a guy is 20 meters behind you, it's impossible to judge, and I didn't even realise he was trying to overtake me. But at the same time I thought, 'There's no way I'm going to leave him even a one-meter gap. No way'. I came off the throttle braked - and turned in."

"Ayrton was certainly the best driver I ever raced against, by a long, long way. He was, by far, the most committed driver I ever saw. To be honest, I think maybe the best race driver - in terms of really applying intelligence - was Niki, but overall Ayrton was the best, by far. He was very successful in everything that mattered to him, everything that he set out to achieve for himself."
We shared an awful lot, after all, and one thing never changed - even when our relationship was at its worst - was our great respect for each other as drivers. I don't think either of us worried too much about anyone else (drivers).

"The pressure was so high, so high... If we had to do it all again, I think I'd say to Ayrton, 'Listen, we're the best, we can screw all the others!' With a lot of intelligence, it could have been such good dream. Still, even as it turned out, it was a fantastic story, don't you think? And I think, in a way, we're missing a little of that today."

http://www.prostfan.com/senna2.htm

Gerhard Berger on Senna
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/audio/40...rger_senna.ram

Michael Schumacher on Senna
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/audio/40...humi_senna.ram
Peter Wolf

You're boring me now & this is seriously off topic as only one of the drivers we mention is eligble for the 2006 season

Dissing the Muzza will win you few friends on here.

We will visit Imola in May to pay our respects to the Great Man

We obviously have a difference of opinion and a different take on the facts of that day so let's leave it at that.

I've read much / seen much on the cause of his accident and the sequence of events I mention relate most closley to the tragic events of May 1994. I beleive the official findings were a combination of factors (inc. driver error) leading his death.

Take it easy chap!

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 20-02-06 at 09:22.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Peter Wolf

You're boring me now & this is seriously off topic as only one of the drivers we mention is eligble for the 2006 season

Dissing the Muzza will win you few friends on here.

We will visit Monza in May to pay our respects to the Great Man

We obviously have a difference of opinion and a different take on the facts of that day so let's leave it at that.

I've read much / seen much on the cause of his accident and the sequence of events I mention relate most closley to the tragic events of May 1994. I beleive the official findings were a combination of factors (inc. driver error) leading his death.

Take it easy chap!
Here's the thing chap! I apologise for boring you, obviously my posts weren't as fascinating and on topic compared to your post about your tattoo and Mansell (another great driver).Riveting stuff.

This just in: Orange livery for interim McLaren.

Last edited by PeterWolf; 06-01-08 at 23:04.
(Post Link) post #24 of 901 Old 10-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Here's the thing chap! I apologise for boring you, obviously my posts weren't as fascinating and on topic compared to your post about your tattoo and Mansell (another great driver).Riveting stuff.

This just in: Orange livery for interim McLaren.
Peter.

Sorry for the Boring comment. Boring was being a bit harsh but we were never going to agree on that subject matter were we?

Much rather talk about things such as these in a civilised maner with a frosty one in my hand Having a spinal operation on the 31st and on a load of tabs hence grumpy in the morning Still, no excuse for rudeness

Anyway. Back on track....

And another just in. Willi Weber reckons Schui may go to another "big payer" (like Toyota) in 2007 if Ferreri don't give him the goods

Will have to get my Tat altered & it won't be the Shield that gets removed either

Respect

Simon

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 10-01-06 at 20:04.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Peter.

Sorry for the Boring comment. Boring was being a bit harsh but we were never going to agree on that subject matter were we?

Much rather talk about things such as these in a civilised maner with a frosty one in my hand Having a spinal operation on the 31st and on a load of tabs hence grumpy in the morning Still, no excuse for rudeness

Anyway. Back on track....

And another just in. Willi Weber reckons Schui may go to another "big payer" (like Toyota) in 2007 if Ferreri don't give him the goods

Will have to get my Tat altered & it won't be the Shield that gets removed either

Respect

Simon
Yes Simon, I completely agree with you mate (for the first time things got a bit out of line and definitely some testosterone was flying around. Well boys will be boys….. right? It’s obvious that there’s no way will agree on this but then again it’s not really important because both of us immensely enjoy and appreciate the talents of these guys and their fast toys.

Sorry to hear about your health troubles and I wish you a speedy recovery. No hard feelings.

Back on topic, then. You know nothing will surprise me in f1. I don’t think that these guys are as loyal as you are to their respective teams and I don’t blame them. I mean look at Alonso- he immediately secured a contract with a big team after he won the championship and he probably would have moved in 06 if there was a place for him in McLaren and he was without a contract even faster then MS when he was the champ in Benetton. All that is important to them is having a competitive car (and a big budget) underneath them…. that’s all. It can be a Daewoo and it won’t matter. Toyota is more then serious about f1 with the money they’ve spent so far and will spend in the future. And they can afford it. It was a massive project for them and I think all their effort will pay off in the near future. As for MS well… it’s easy for us to say retire while on top (I remember when Damon Hill was bumped and switched to Arrows- it was a sad sight to see him trying to have dignity in a mediocre car) but to them it doesn’t matter they have to drive no matter what .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
2006 , season

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page