Hunt vs Lauda..Formula 1 Greatest Racing Rivalries.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 09-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Hunt vs Lauda..Formula 1 Greatest Racing Rivalries....

This looks like a brilliant documentary on BBC 2 at 9:00pm on Sunday, and well worth a watch IMHO.....

I've set the PVR for it already......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 26 Old 14-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

So, did anyone watch this programme.........
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

I watched it. I'm still thinking about it. I was very slightly tearful at the beginning but I did start a bottle of white wine yesterday that continued drinking it during Top Gear. Lauda is a bit a of a top chap isn't he. He went on to win two other World Championships and keep his Airline going.

I was unaware that so much brinkmanship with the rules, appeals and politics effected that 1976 championship. It's difficult to tell who should have won that season, it's like 'Massa almost won the 2008 WDC' while conveniently forgetting that Hamilton was stripped of that deserved win at Spa. I'm not sure about the conclusion, it's not a nice thought that if it wasn't for Hunt and Lauda risking their lives and Lauda getting back into the car and continuing until Fuji Tamara Ecclestone wouldn't be letting some bloke she's keen on registering a Lamborghini she paid for or took credit it out to get in his name.

Without Hunt v Lauda dicing with death in '79 we'd have less F1 orange celebrity flesh on the Daily Mail website?

I'll probably iplayer it during the week, unlike watching Top Gear for a second time on iplayer I won't be skipping the stupid parts.

I'm not sure why the BBC are doing a dumentary that seems like a trailer for Rush? Perhaps it's an attempt to put the story right and make amends for all of the The Fast and The Furious gear changes that may happen in it?

The explanation of qualifying may have been useful as a girlfriend did ask 'What? Wasn't that the race?' when we'd watched qualifying one Saturday morning.

Interlagos looked as good as it always does. A circuit that allows overtaking and outbraking.

Hunt inspired The Sex Pistols with his naughty asides to camera and microphone? Kimi's 'I was having a sh*t' comment to Brundle at Interlagos in 2007? was Hunt like?

Last edited by In_The_Pass; 14-07-13 at 22:53.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
I am looking forward to the feature film that is due out soon which centres on the Lauda/Hunt confrontation - from the clips that I have seen it looks brilliant.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I thought it was a good program.

I like the bit where James said about Niki "You are the only person who could get burned in a fire and come out better looking".
(Post Link) post #6 of 26 Old 15-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed it, with some fantastic old film footage in there, some of it quite harrowing too, and it was brilliant to hear the people close to them being interviewed as well, but overall I think it covered their rivalry quite well, and as already mentioned in here, could almost be an advert for the forthcoming Ron Howard Film called " Rush "........
gibot123

Yeah good interesting program I was at the race they showed at brands hatch but I was but a wee lad and all I remember was the noise and smell to young to have a clue what was going on just sheer excitement of the occasion .
Quite a story will definetly be interesting to see the film.
From what he was saying the other week on top gear sounds like he tried to keep it real (within the film industry concept of real ) but we will see.
It's interesting there is still a bad feeling in the pits about ferrari's behind the scenes antics with the rules. Not seen too much recently but was a lot of it going on a couple of years back didn't realise it had been going so long !

AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I've recorded it and will watch it later. I watched F1 the killer years again and it was no less shocking seconed time around.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
I am upset to miss this. Reading your comments makes me want to watch it even more. It looks interesting. Do you know if i can download it from anywhere?

County: Cork
Garage
Try here in a few days

:EVIL:

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Thanks DP

gibot123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shant Ole View Post
I am upset to miss this. Reading your comments makes me want to watch it even more. It looks interesting. Do you know if i can download it from anywhere?
Have a look on line on BBC I player.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibot123 View Post
Have a look on line on BBC I player.

Ive tried i player before and it works only if you are UK based

Thanks for the tip anyway

gibot123

Just a thought

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I watched it last night. Lauda's bravery in getting back in the car and racing so quickly, and getting out of the bloody thing again when the conditions in Japan were so bad, regardless of what the team sponsors, TV companies, FIA etc said, is still incredible. It is quite shocking how cheap the lives of F1 drivers were at the time. When it showed JYS doing a lap of the 'Ring with commentary and the number of places in a lap where if you went off you would either be in the trees, into a rock bank, launched skywards, or into an unyielding armco, it was quite terrifying.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shant Ole View Post
Ive tried i player before and it works only if you are UK based

Thanks for the tip anyway
You could try a torrent site, but that would be illegal and not something that could be condoned by a family friendly forum such as this.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
You could try a torrent site, but that would be illegal and not something that could be condoned by a family friendly forum such as this.
Roger that

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Quote:
I'Ring with commentary and the number of places in a lap where if you went off you would either be in the trees, into a rock bank, launched skywards, or into an unyielding armco, it was quite terrifying.
Yes watching that was bone chilling on that clip.
I was born 85, an so can not really comprehend the none saftey aspec. But just watching that clip was enough to make me brick my pants.

Glad I watched it though. Gave me a new found respect for the racers of that age.

Its the fact if the car went off they went up in a huge fire ball at the drop of the hat.
In comparison i've had my alfa cut the fuel pump for 10mins once I hit a pot hole at 70mph.

Really quite chilling stuff. I wish there was more clips in the documentry for me to view.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Yes watching that was bone chilling on that clip.
I was born 85, an so can not really comprehend the none saftey aspec. But just watching that clip was enough to make me brick my pants.

Glad I watched it though. Gave me a new found respect for the racers of that age.

Its the fact if the car went off they went up in a huge fire ball at the drop of the hat.
In comparison i've had my alfa cut the fuel pump for 10mins once I hit a pot hole at 70mph.

Really quite chilling stuff. I wish there was more clips in the documentry for me to view.
If you get chance, watch F1: The killer years.

I'm a bit older than you but only have vague recollections of F1 in the 70s. It is quite staggering how many drivers were killed in the 60s, 70s and early 80s when, with F1 as it is now, they would probably have walked away unscathed. To name a few:

Ronnie Peterson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jim Clark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roger Williamson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jochen Rindt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gilles Villeneuve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember being very shocked when first Roland Ratzenburger, then Ayrton Senna died at Imola in 1994. We'd got the keys to our first house on the Friday and we were sat on the floor in the living room on the Sunday listening to the radio when the news about Senna came through. I thought "No. That's wrong. It's not Senna, it's Ratzenburger." It seemed unbelieveable that two drivers could be killed at all, let alone at the same meeting. If you look back to 30 years ago, in the period from 1960 to 1980, at least one driver was killed pretty much every season in an F1 car. That doesn't include, for instance, Jim Clark who was racing in a less forumula when he was killed.

List of fatal Formula One accidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Quote:
If you get chance, watch F1: The killer years.

Thanks for your reply. I will definetly get it to download and watch. Looks interesting and although i've only recently got into F1 the last couple of years I find this stuff engrossing.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Amazing documentary
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibot123 View Post
It's interesting there is still a bad feeling in the pits about ferrari's behind the scenes antics with the rules. Not seen too much recently but was a lot of it going on a couple of years back didn't realise it had been going so long !
I thought it showed that like now, all the politics that went (and does) go on was conveniently all put down to Ferrari then, as it is now

Lets face it, McLaren turned up to a race in Spain with a car that was too wide, but the McLaren team boss blamed Ferrari and the Spanish marshalls as they were all "catholic".

The Brands Hatch delayed start that enabled Hunt to race was thought to be "funny", can you imagine what he'd have said had it been at Monza with a Ferrari driver
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

Thanks for suggesting that website David P.

A female friend in North America saw a trailer for Rush at the cinema and asked me if I was going to see it. I've sent them some messages trying to explain this programme. I'll give it a few days and send them the link.

I'm not sure about the Concorde and Kraftwerk padding when in that season didn't they revert to the previous season's McLaren, a bit like they should have done this year which they could have mentioned during the programme.

Last edited by In_The_Pass; 29-07-13 at 17:29.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

Here's an older programme on youtube on the same subject:

James Hunt: Clash Of The Titans - Lauda Vs Hunt - YouTube
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

That interview with Lauda on BBC R5 on the BBC F1 website is shocking.

I hope the BBC apologised to him after.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
greatest , hunt , laudaformula , racing , rivalries

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page