Le Mans Legends - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 22-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Le Mans Legends

Live and free on Eurosport right now.

Fantastic procession of classic racers lining up for the warm up. Cobras, Maseratis (one just spun!), Allard, D-types, TR3A, Ferrari 250LM, Austin Healeys...what a sight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

daveb257

The whole event is now pointless really isn't it,
Seems much more if a shock these days as motor racing has become so much safer.

Aston Martin driver Allan Simonsen has died following his high-speed crash early in the Le Mans 24 Hours.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108217

(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 22-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I wasn't watching the main event when it happened, only went back in the last hour and heard about the accident. A great shame. He was an experienced 24hr competitor- it can happen anytime.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Sadly, the accident after just 14 Minutes of this race has claimed the live of the Aston Martin driver Alain Siemonson, who was just 34 Years old.......
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

I was actually watching it live, and thought at the time, that looked VERY nasty indeed, and as Dave above says, the race is pretty pointless now, BUT, there has NEVER been a Red Flagged Le Mans race, even the totally tragic race in 1955, which killed many people, carried on to the finish........
AO Gold Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by n13roy View Post
I was actually watching it live, and thought at the time, that looked VERY nasty indeed, and as Dave above says, the race is pretty pointless now, BUT, there has NEVER been a Red Flagged Le Mans race, even the totally tragic race in 1955, which killed many people, carried on to the finish........
That was shocking, RIP Allan
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
As expected, Allan's family requested that the team continue to race......Aston will have a lot more supporters to honour his memory.

RIP
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Just been catching up on the latest News from this race, and it seems there has been quite a lot of accidents and incidents throughout the race, and the Safety Car has been out 11 or 12 times, in fact SO many times the commentators aren't sure, and as I write this, its out again. Seems to be some sort of debate about the state of the safety barriers here now. I think there is going to be a LOT of questions asked after this race about the overall safety of the circuit.........
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Absolute madness here at Le Mans at the moment, a torrential downpour with just under an Hour left has seen Cars spinning and skidding off all over the place, and now there is a Pit Lane queue as everybody desperately need to change tyres to cope with this rain........

Safety Car is out ( AGAIN ) to break a record of the most amount of time EVER to be out on this Circuit, at over FIVE Hours......

Its going to be an interesting finish now, thats a certainty.......
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Now this 2013 Le Mans race is getting VERY complicated, as we have almost 45 minutes left, and about 35 Cars still on the track, but TWO Safety Cars bringing them around, I have NO idea who is where or what at the moment, and the commentators sound just as confused too, and we have gone for a commecial break. Hopefully when we come back, some sense of order will be resumed, I think.........
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Now we have THREE Safety Cars on the circuit..........

All of whom are told to come in on the next lap with about 30 Minutes of the race left.......
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Well, thats the end of the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hour race, and I think its probably going to be remembered for all the wrong reasons in fact. Certainly not a race that will hold many happy memories for Motor Sport fans, and I suppose the only good thing about it now is, It's over........
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 24-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Not one of the best races, especially with the sad loss of Siemonsen, but I was enjoying the 911 v Aston class battle which was disrupted late on by the safety cars again and Muecke (Aston) being held in the pit lane too long.

I think they said there'd been almost 6 hours of safety car spells...the 18-19 heures du mans.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I was there and agree it was spoilt by the Safety Car(s) - there were usually 3 out at a time(A, B & C).

Although the Porsche/Aston battle in GT Pro was good throughout it could easily have been a 3 way tussle between Porsche, Aston & Ferrari. The latter's chances got scuppered on the first Safety Car incident - Simonsen's crash - when the lead AF Corse car found itself 3 minutes behind its main competitors as it was behind the second Safety car.

Fisicella, I think, commented on the radio that such a gap could only be recovered in six hours assuming they were actually running faster which actually they weren't but they would have been there until almost the end when the lead Ferrari had a late off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
classic , legend , legends , mans , race

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page