Group B rally cars - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-12 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

Group B rally cars

I just wondered if anyone else was fond of them.

I used to go watch a lot of the RAC back in the day and despite the lethal reputation of them I loved watching group B cars at play, and in flight

I remember an interview with, I think Juha or Stig, saying they happened to be testing a group B car on a gravel track of the same length as a particular F1 track, and on gravel they were lapping just 4 seconds slower than the F1 cars were on tarmac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Yes, likewise, many fond memories of GpB and Gp4 before it.

I don't know that story but I remember reading that Henri Toivenon had done press laps on the Estoril circuit in the S4 'Grale, in tarmac spec obviously, and allegedly would have qualified on the fourth row of the previous year's Grand Prix with his lap times....if memory serves correctly.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 03-11-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

It was neither Stig nor Kankunen
Memory is failing nowadays !

Group B Cars - YouTube

Easy to forget how fast they were !
RSK

Absolutely loved them.

205 T16, Delta S4, Quattro Sport were great but even the rubbish ones like the Metro 6R4 and RS200 were awesome machines.

Personal favourite was the Porsche 959 Paris Dakar in Rothmans livery.

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
I love them so does my son who's only 2 1/2 he's Audi Quattro and lancia mad another petrol head in the making
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5

I absolutely love 'em. Could never pick a favourite really as they where all incredible things to watch.

This video sums up some of these cars for me. Chris Harris rides shotgun in some classic rally cars.

Rally Heaven - Shotgun in a Lancia Stratos and Delta S4 - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 03-11-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysenna View Post
I absolutely love 'em. Could never pick a favourite really as they where all incredible things to watch.

This video sums up some of these cars for me. Chris Harris rides shotgun in some classic rally cars.

Rally Heaven - Shotgun in a Lancia Stratos and Delta S4 - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

I used to really like the Lancia Stratos, now I think I love it. (

So great to hear it recorded on modern equipment....and then played back too loud.

Just brilliant

An 037 would be fun....hell, I'll take one of each because I just can't decide !)

Last edited by FixitSan; 03-11-12 at 18:57.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
I'm old enuff that at the time I was working and living in Northumberland within walking distance of some of the R.A.C. stages during the Group B years, from '82 to '88 so saw them come and go, good memories. Some of the surviving cars are still in use on the European F.I.A. Hillclimb Championship if anyone cares to seek them out on You tube, seem to be a few Lancia Delta S4's competing.
daveb257

Tried to get better videos but kept missing them at full speed :-(

http://youtu.be/lRIEjfK3PXQ

http://youtu.be/xo5-6ssuUDk

AO Member

County: Dorset
As an 11/12 year old when the Group B cars were in their hey-day,they used to fascinate me.They were crazy days and it was always going to end in tears,but just for a while rallying was the most important motorsport on the planet.How things change,the WRC is a joke now....

When I had the Lancia I used to take it to Castle Combe Rallyday,a great event which had demonstrations of all sorts of exotic machinery.One day I hope to go to the Rally Legend event in Italy,just have a look on Youtube and you'll see why.

One of my poor attempts,taken on a dodgy old camera a few years ago but I think you'll get the idea......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMbY...8&feature=plcp
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Quote:
I don't know that story but I remember reading that Henri Toivenon had done press laps on the Estoril circuit in the S4 'Grale, in tarmac spec obviously, and allegedly would have qualified on the fourth row of the previous year's Grand Prix with his lap times....if memory serves correctly.
You are almost correct sir! (it was sixth) Just one thing, he had his co-driver along side him!
I have happy memories of the '85 RAC Rally, standing in forests and having Gp B cars blasting past me. The Nissan RS240 made the ground shake like an earthquake. Awesome!
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa-less

TUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
205 T16, Delta S4, Quattro Sport were great but even the rubbish ones like the Metro 6R4 and RS200 were awesome machines.
Hmmmmm. The 6R4 and the RS200 arrived at the end of GrpB and were under-developed, the series being killed off just as they were starting to get into the swing of things.
The RS200 is/was a great car (and I'm not a Ford fan) and the Metro 6R4 went on to be one of the most successful UK 'clubman' rally cars of the late '80s and early '90s. I have driven two 6R4s and one RS200, I can forgive the 6R4 for anything as it sounds just utterly awesome:
Colin McRae Metro 6R4 Big Moment-Donegal Rally 2006 - YouTube

If you want to find a really rubbish GrpB rally car (or two) have a look for the Citroen BX4TC and the (never rallied) Lada Samara EVA. You just know they both would have been/were utter pants on a rally stage.

Ocht
thethirdman

This DVD features several privately owned/driven Delta S4s and outside of the works Martini Racing examples, is one of the best I've ever seen. Bought it at Autosport International this year after seeing it for the first time 2 years ago. Better late than never!

AH Video Concept Groupe B en course de cte

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
cars , group , rally

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page