Moto GP - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

Norton

Moto GP

Not a single thread on this (car) sites Motor Sport section re: Moto GP (bikes) ??
Im sure some of you must follow it ?? Much more entertaining than the F1 cars (not that im knocking F1) or even the superb World Touring Car Championship, the racing in Moto GP is usually much closer with positions changing several times a lap (as anyone who watched todays Italian GP will know).
And then theres Valentino Rossi !! arguably the greatest bike racing talent ever... 'Awesome' is an understatment.
For anyone who doesnt know, Rossi won the Championship for Honda back when the premier series featured 500cc two strokes and continued to win it for them when it switched to 1000cc four strokes but then the Honda was considered to be the best bike. Then he swopped to the 'uncompetitive' Yamaha and won the Championship in his first year with them and continues to amaze everyone with his incredible talent race after race, season after season.
Any other Moto GP fans ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Re: Moto GP

Yup.....

The best racing action on the telly

The best action anywhere......

Italian racers 1,2,3 and 4

and the passiionate fans

Last edited by GJ; 05-06-05 at 20:56. Reason: this is not totally accurate
Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton
I figured there must be Another edge of the seat screaming at the telly race today!!

GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
I figured there must be Another edge of the seat screaming at the telly race today!!
No I wasn't screaming.......
I was "quietly" dumbstruck by the ability of these racers to duel that close and that fast and .......wow that ROSSI

Unfortunately, car racing can never be this good
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Wave Re: Moto GP

Hey me too, ive posted a bit about Superbikes previously but i dont think are many bike racing fans on here so ive not bothered since! Moto GP was awesome viewing today, as was the Croft round of British Superbikes. Edge of the sofa all afternoon screaming at the tv
Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbird1
Hey me too, ive posted a bit about Superbikes previously. Moto GP was awesome viewing today, as was the Croft round of British Superbikes. Edge of the sofa all afternoon screaming at the tv
And you ride an R6, nice one. I did a single season of club racing on a CBR600 way back in 1990, it really brought home to me just how inredibly talented the top riders are. On practice days you can be hammering round a corner as fast as you think its possible to go with the lower fairing scrapeing on the track and a BSB rider will come past you like youre standing still. Then you think how that BSB rider would do in a GP against the likes of Rossi !!

another big fan here, Rossi just keeps on proving his critics wrong time and time again, good work fella
AO Silver Member

We watched Moto GP first and thanks to the powers of Sky Plus, we had BSB recording on another channel. Watched that straight after and even though they were all hammering around Croft quicker than i could go in a straight line, after the GP it looked like the BSB guys were on practice laps. Now the TT is on too and thats even worse, all that speed and going past peoples living rooms with inches to spare
Norton

Im afraid i kinda lost interest in Superbikes soon after the Fogarty era when it became the World Ducati cup and the British Ducati cup with Ducatis finishing every race in 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th etc. Im told its different now with a good mix of competitive bikes but i just havnt got back into it. The golden era for me was 1988 to 1994 when the British Norton rotaries were in it, remember them? or are you not THAT old?

AO Silver Member

i remember going to Brands Hatch when i was a young un to see Trevor Nation and Steve Spray on the Nortons just before they entered competitive racing. i think it was some kind of showcasing event. looked pretty cool to me
superbikes, both world and british are excellent now, i never miss them. its just a shame that there are loads of british riders who are winning all the time and theres just no coverage without paying a subscription for Sky. Failing that its trying to avoid the papers for a week and catching a late night highlights show on bbc2 a week later
Football that we nearly always lose is on without question!
Norton

Quote:
i remember going to Brands Hatch when i was a young un to see Trevor Nation and Steve Spray
Check out... www.jpsnorton.com

AO Silver Member

oo i forgot about Rocket Ron riding one! His son Liam is doing well in the British Championship on a Ducati
Good site, cool piccies on there
Norton

Quote:
oo i forgot about Rocket Ron riding one!
Rocket Ron even rode it in the 1992 British GP !! got lapped of course

Norton

Next GP, next Sunday, June 12th - Catalunya, Spain... roll on next Sunday

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Quote:
Not a single thread on this (car) sites Motor Sport section re: Moto GP (bikes) ??
Im sure some of you must follow it ?? Much more entertaining than the F1 cars (not that im knocking F1) or even the superb World Touring Car Championship, the racing in Moto GP is usually much closer with positions changing several times a lap (as anyone who watched todays Italian GP will know).
And then theres Valentino Rossi !! arguably the greatest bike racing talent ever... 'Awesome' is an understatment.
For anyone who doesnt know, Rossi won the Championship for Honda back when the premier series featured 500cc two strokes and continued to win it for them when it switched to 1000cc four strokes but then the Honda was considered to be the best bike. Then he swopped to the 'uncompetitive' Yamaha and won the Championship in his first year with them and continues to amaze everyone with his incredible talent race after race, season after season.
Rossi should and i think that he will switch to F1. I think that he has done a test drive in a F1 car but he didn't sign any contacts cos he viewed the Yamaha "project" as a challenge. And cos he is making the other drivers in MotoGp look ordinary i think that he'll switch to F1 sooner rather then later. Now THAT's a challenge isn't it.
AO Gold Member

County: -

I watch both MotoGP and World Superbikes .
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

I watch just about any bike racing, faves are MotoGP and WSB but also a fan of BSB, indoor trials (those guys are just gods) and supermoto.

I've had a few bikes in the past but am having a break at the moment (lost the will to ride after a crash-heavy season of supermoto racing). I think my next bike will be a fruity little 250, just to cane around on trackdays.
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Moto GP and rallying are by far my favourite races, not having a TV and being crap at organising means i've missed this season though
Remember watching Ron Haslam start up the grid on the Norton, drop back to near last at the start then claw his way back up the field to win. That's when i found out what a rotary engine was.
Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT
Remember watching Ron Haslam start up the grid on the Norton, drop back to near last at the start then claw his way back up the field to win.
He was good at that! crap at starting but blindingly quick once he got going

UnpredictableLips

Lick Re: Moto GP

I never miss the GP.

I swear that VR has sold his soul to the devil in exchange for that talent; nobody can be that good without some kind of other-wordly intervention. Either that or he's an alien/android/robot...

- Lips

Warning Re: Moto GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnpredictableLips
I never miss the GP.

I swear that VR has sold his soul to the devil in exchange for that talent; nobody can be that good without some kind of other-wordly intervention. Either that or he's an alien/android/robot...

- Lips
Hes also the master of mind games/tricks.He played around with Gibernau and Honda even during winter testing,making Gibernau and Honda think that he and Yamahas bike were nowhere and crap for this season.Look whats happened this season so far.

Rossi has the biggest lead in Grand Prix racing after only 5 races than anyone else has had in the last 35 years in Grand prix racings top class.The last time anybody had a 49 point lead after 5 races was Agostini back in the very early 70s.

Rossi developed that RCV for Honda,and made it a winner in his hands,but without Rossi,Honda would have never won a Moto GP title even with Gibernau,Hayden or Biaggi and all the other wannabees.

The Spanish Grand prix(Cataluyna) this weekend will be a cracker for sure .Rossi v Gibernau part 2.
AO Member

Member car:

156 sportwagon

im a big fan of motogp and hope to go to catalunya next year (its the nearest grand prix track to a major city)..my mates just gone today so ill get all the info off him..ive just bought a vfr 400 nc24 to do some track days..ive also got a 916 but dont fancy dropping it,,i only give £300 for the 400 so if i wreck it im not too bothered..
GJ
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Gibernau on pole

Rossi 3rd

How long will that last

Can't wait for the race.... only 16 hours to go
AO Silver Member

Should be a good one, Gibernau on home turf and the Spanish fans still unforgiving towards Rossi's elbow incident in the first round. Keeping my eye on Melandri now, as he seems to have definitely found his feet this season. roll on tomorrow afternoon see you guys at about 2.30pm

agree with you about Melandri, its gonna be a good one

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
moto

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page