Sky F1 coverage - what do we reckon? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 26-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Well Happy Sky F1 coverage - what do we reckon?

Personally, I think it's excellent

Love the iPad options, the thevHD 5.1, the red button options & the TV team. Love the opening historical sequence with the Alistair Griffin "Just Drive" theme

Love the fact the highlights are on anytime too

OK, Damon is a little flat but he knows his onions.

The only thing I miss from the Beeb is the DC & Eddie double act

Regardless of your views on Sky as an entity, if you watch the coverage & use the options, you'd be hooked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
This week was 100% better than last and well near BBC standard (light years away from ITV!). So far so good and looking good for the future I don't use the fancy features at all.
I was worried about the excited football style commentary initially but by this Sunday calm had returned. Was it the same guy with Brundle?
Mymatemarmite

Overall I think they've done a great job. We could do with more from Anthony Davidson, and less of Georgie.....I really can't see the point in her being there.

....however, pretty much anyone is better than that cringe worthy Hollywood wannabe Eddie Jordan.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I don't mind Eddie Jordan to be honest..

I don't think the Sky coverage is too bad, though I might feel different about it if I was paying to watch it.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Double Six View Post
This week was 100% better than last and well near BBC standard (light years away from ITV!). So far so good and looking good for the future I don't use the fancy features at all.
I was worried about the excited football style commentary initially but by this Sunday calm had returned. Was it the same guy with Brundle?
I agree with this entirely. As I mentioned in the F1 thread earlier today, it will take a while for the team to bed in and get into the swing of doing the job - it took a while for the BBC. I don't use the fancy features either, if you mean the various viewing options on the red button.

I think the 5.1 sound needs a bit of tweak as I find the balance between commentary and in-car sound is not right, with the voices getting drowned out. (Then again it maybe the balance of my system as I like a good bit of rear speaker volume and I have one of those quite close to me!)

I'm mildly fed up that from the few times I have tried the iPad app only works if you have the Sports subscription which I don't have (no interest in football) - or am I missing something?? Then again the chances of my watching a race on the iPad are slim to zero.....

It would be good to have some more technical features rather like Brundle used to do on the Beeb, though I think I heard him drop a comment on Sunday that he would be soon, so fingers crossed.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
Overall I think they've done a great job. We could do with more from Anthony Davidson, and less of Georgie.....I really can't see the point in her being there.

....however, pretty much anyone is better than that cringe worthy Hollywood wannabe Eddie Jordan.
You said it all for me except the presenting bit, I no likey.

I have not yet watched any of the two races live, but did see Malaysia quali live. I don't like the presenters much with the exception of Anthony Davidson. I don't think much of Daemon Hill's presenting skills and the other jerk with him (don't know his name).
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

As someone who doesn't own, nor can justify the costs associated with Sky I can only say
AO Platinum Member

Give my hard-earned to the thieving Murdoch pirate scum??

Kiss my 'arris!!

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post

Agreed. No need for Georgie. EJ has his moments there. Pulling people out of garages to interviews at inconvenient times is something he does well.

Love the BBCs coverage - less of the magazine type drivel and straight to the bits we need to see.
If you want F1 insight then I would 100% recommend a subscription to Motorsport Magazine - costs less than a couple of months worth of direct debits to Sky.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
Agreed. No need for Georgie. EJ has his moments there. Pulling people out of garages to interviews at inconvenient times is something he does well.

Love the BBCs coverage - less of the magazine type drivel and straight to the bits we need to see.
If you want F1 insight then I would 100% recommend a subscription to Motorsport Magazine - costs less than a couple of months worth of direct debits to Sky.
+1
...or Autosport
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

...or both.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
As someone who doesn't own, nor can justify the costs associated with Sky I can only say
I only watch it because my dad gets it for free with his other subscription. Otherwise it would be foreign satellite for me.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirreni View Post
I'm mildly fed up that from the few times I have tried the iPad app only works if you have the Sports subscription which I don't have (no interest in football) - or am I missing something?? Then again the chances of my watching a race on the iPad are slim to zero.....
I watched the first half of Malaysia on my iPad with just a 3G connection. Once you're signed in the app matches your subscription and it works fine (click Watch Live?) - I don't have the Sports subscription.

For me, the Sky coverage is mixed. I love the quantity of what they're doing - there's no doubt that they've made an effort to try and deliver more in depth. However there's little doubt that the quality of that coverage isn't up to the experienced, polished standard of last years BBC coverage.

I'm not surprised - outside of the race the BBC had the whole weekend and more to prepare for essentially 2 hours of non-racing live broadcast. They can distill it down and script / prepare well. Sky are offering much more, but with less opportunity to prepare.

If I was watching highlights I'd take the BBC every time. But I'm not - I'm watching live and I like the extra detail that Sky are trying to bring. I think their coverage and access will improve as time goes on and they get experience and confidence from the team PRs.

Live race + iPad driver tracker app + Betfair = .
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Abyss View Post
I watched the first half of Malaysia on my iPad with just a 3G connection. Once you're signed in the app matches your subscription and it works fine (click Watch Live?) - I don't have the Sports subscription.
I'll give another try - thank you!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

The BBC highlights are also brilliant. Ben Edwards / David Coulthard make a good commentary pairing. I haven't heard Croft and Brundle together, but they're both excellent too, so I'm sure they make a good team. The extra value to me of watching live coverage of the full race would be about 50p, so if Sky bring their prices down I'll go for it.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Coverage is good but surely it's just a complete copy of the tried and tested BBC format right down to having three presenters.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Give my hard-earned to the thieving Murdoch pirate scum??

Kiss my 'arris!!

Ralf S.
My sentiments exactly.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Decent call if you want to make a stand.

In the meantime, this time around, I'll enjoy the coverage as delivered by the 'thieving pirate scum'.

You pay your money and you take your choice. Or equally, you choose not to pay your money and take another choice.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Coverage is good but surely it's just a complete copy of the tried and tested BBC format right down to having three presenters.
Are we really judging TV coverage on the number of presenters?....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
coverage , reckon , sky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page