Which f1 team do you support. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 44 Old 26-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Which f1 team do you support.

I was just wondering which F1 team the majority of Alfaowner members support.

I can understand as Italian car fans many people will support Ferrari, but Equally there will be those who support British based teams.

I suppose I am a Lotus Renault supporter at heart. I Have supported them Right back at the Start when they were Toleman, Benetton, then Renault.

The main reason for this was that the Toleman team and then Benetton teams were based in my hometown until around 1992, before they moved a few miles up the road to Enstone.

I remember as a child sitting in a Toleman very similar to Ayrton Senna, at my school fete, then a couple of years later getting a tour of the Benetton factory and meeting quite a few of the guys working there.

My Second team is Williams as they are also based really close to where I live although I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the factory.

So which F1 team do you support and why?

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

My favourite driver has always been the evil Baron von Schumacher. So I'll support whoever he is driving for.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Way back in the Marlboro days I couldn't stand McLaren but over the last decade or so I've warmed to them.

I'm a bit of a floating voter tbh and just enjoy watching. I loved Ferrari more as a kid watching Giles Villeneuve seemingly sideways all the time. Then I became disenchanted with their apparent control over the FIA and oft perceived preferential treatment.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I have been to Williams right under the Nuclear Towers, but my current fav is another local team Mercedes, my underdog fav has got to be Sauber.
AO Gold Member

Here's one for you Jim.

Last edited by EauRouge; 20-06-12 at 23:35.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
Here's one for you Jim.
Excellent! That's the chap! I'm sure childhood memories are a bit favourably coloured but that, and an Athena poster I had of him on almost full opposite lock drifting around a right-hander is how I always imagine he drove. He couldn't have, of course, as it'd be too slow, but I just recall the breathtaking bravado and style so much in that vein.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Ferrari

Got the tattoo to prove it & was a massive MS fan (his name I there too).

They should have bombed Massa last year & truth be told, Teflonso is a ****.

Fav driver at the mo is JB. I'd be happy if he won the Driver's Championship but if MS got an 8th star, I'd be chuffed for him too, despite him being a traitor!
Mymatemarmite

I've been a McLaren supporter since Mika Hakkinen joined the team, and always been an avid fan ever since. My interest in them ramps up when I have a favoured driver racing for them, such as Kimi or Jenson.

It's always nice to see Ferrari do well of course.

I'm watching Williams' progress with interest this year, I've been a fan since the days of Mansell.

Lotus are getting my support in 2012.......Kimi is driving for them, and they have the best looking car, livery wise, on the grid.

I was looking forward to see Caterham doing well this season, but they have left me cold after starting the year in the same position as they started their 2011 campaign.

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Ferrari. Always has been, always will be
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Ferrari for me aswell, and again always has been.

I support any driver in the scarlet cars, and still have a soft spot for Schumey as a result.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Black 159

Ferrari for me too,even when i was a guest of McLaren at the British GP i went in a Ferrari T-Shirt :thumbs up:
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxechick View Post
Ferrari for me too,even when i was a guest of McLaren at the British GP i went in a Ferrari T-Shirt :thumbs up:
Haha good lad! I dislike them quite passionately.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Any of the British teams but mainly Williams and Mclaren. I started following Williams when they started to become successful in the Alan Jones era then became a massive Mansell fan. I still vividly remember him winning his first F1 race at Brands, Mansell and Murray Walker both flat out. It never got better than that, I loved it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Black 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR View Post
Haha good lad! I dislike them quite passionately.
Must admit i'm no fan,but they did look after my son and i very well for 3 days,although i did cheer when Schuey won the race for Ferrari and Ruebens came 3rd :thumbs up:
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
I was looking forward to see Caterham doing well this season, but they have left me cold after starting the year in the same position as they started their 2011 campaign.
I also like to root for a back-marker. Is Caterham the new Minardi?
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
McLaren man really although I have a soft spot for Ferrari and their history in Motorsport. As far as drivers go I have no problems with Lewis and hope he wins a championship again but my personal favourite for a few reasons is Jenson. Love his attitude to racing and life and enjoy folling him on twitter. Suppose being a Triathlete/runner means I find his trainining routines impressive and his ability to run 6.2 miles(10K) only 4 minutes slower than British Olympic hopeful Mo Farrah shows his unquestionable determined attitude to mental and physical strength.
My third favourite is Shumi, would love to see him at least win a race before he bows out..(again) but doubt the Merc has the legs to give him a title shot.
AO Member

Soft spot for Williams going back to the Nigel Mansell days, great pity they haven't produced a decent car or had a better than middling driver for well over a decade now

Actually JPM wasn't quite a decade ago, fuzzy memory, but he was definitely the last good driver in a Williams. Jury is out on young Senna...

Last edited by Cup 57; 26-03-12 at 20:11. Reason: forgot JPM wasn't quite that long ago!
(Post Link) post #18 of 44 Old 26-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Me at 9 years old, sitting in Berger's Benetton B186

No photos of me in Senna's Toleman though.

Last edited by symon; 11-12-14 at 14:07.
AO Gold Member

I remember that car racing. You lucky sod Sy.
(Post Link) post #20 of 44 Old 26-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

That model of Benetton, along with the Arrows and Brabham BMW's were meant to have been the most powerful F1 cars that have ever raced.

Not sure if that was the actual car that won in Mexico in 1986 though
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
They aren't in the same league as Minardi were in their hayday in the early to mid 1990's.............Minardi scored some useful positions on ocassion back then, despite there only being 6 points paying positions up for grabs.

They made a far prettier car too .........the 1991 car running the Ferrari factory engine from 1990 with Morbideli at the helm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morbidelli1991Minardi.jpg (63.9 KB, 4 views)

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
That model of Benetton, along with the Arrows and Brabham BMW's were meant to have been the most powerful F1 cars that have ever raced.

Not sure if that was the actual car that won in Mexico in 1986 though
Yeah 1986 was the Turbo era and it was the famous JPS Lotus driver by Senna that everyone remembers.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
MacLaren and Williams have been my have teams. (I was also a Brawn supporter for that year on the basis that they had pulled their nuts out of the fire at the last minute.)

I feel I ought to suppport Ferrari as I love the road cars, but I have always found the perception that they get an easier ride from the authorities a bit galling.......and it's good to wind my brother in law up when they do badly (he's Italian). He coaches my 6 year old niece to wind me up when they do when MacLaren don't.....
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Ferrari, every single day

Only been watching F1 properly since 2005 and ever since Ferrari have only ever won with Kimi . I am bad karma.
I love Ferrari road cars, though only since 1997/8 when I read in a Clarkson book you could own a red car for for a mere 20k. I decided for my 40th I wanted a 308GTB/S. As it happened money would not go to the 25k for a half decent one so I bought a Mondial. Never looked back and won't be without a Fez unless things get dire.
For this reason a friend bought me a Ferrari in F1 book. Bloody excellent read so I started watching F1. Love the sport, the politics too but if Ferrari said tomorrow F1 was not for them I would not watch a single race again. I don't care who drives for them, I will support those drivers whilst they do.
When I first started watching F1, Renault with Alonso were the team to hate, he now of course drives for Ferrari and I think he is great, Shoemaker on the other hand is a traitor . Would still crack a smile if he won or even made a podium though. I realise without him and Brawn etc Ferrari would not have been so successful of late.
My 2nd team was always Honda, I owned a Honda too.
Favourite driver has to be Jenson, great man, great talent and a fantastic persona, Shame he drives for one of the arch rivals and my GF's favourite team

I must admit though for feeling proud of British teams. We are the best engineers in the world bar none. Stand up and note Germany our British engineers are the world best
We have a few great drivers too, JB LH Paul Di Resta (don't very sound British ) etc.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

County: Limburg

Member car:

Seat Leon SC TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Neh, just like MMMarmite said: not in the same league. Maybe when Marussia manages to hold for another five years without too much DNF's and an occasional point, they could get close.

I follow F1 since 1983, but never really supported a team, although I had a soft spot for Minardi, as they managed to hold out so long and largely avoided the prequalifying hell some teams back then had to go through. And Sauber because their first liveries (largely black) looked good on the team. For the most part I've been rooting for drivers: Senna because of obvious talent, Mansell because he was fast but a bit unlucky, Verstappen because he was the only Dutchman with reasonable succes (although he should have dumped his ****ty manager back then), Damon Hill simply because I fell in love with his Nil Numbered Williams.

From the recent generation:
- Alonso (although he sometimes behaves like a diva, he sure knows how to handle a car),
- Button (not the fastest, but he has what a dutch cycling commentator called "koersinzicht"; meaning he knows how to act on an opportunity or circumstances like sudden rain. Too bad he rammed Narain in Malaysia),
- Kobayashi (for his enthusiastic driving style)
- Perez (for his completely opposite tyre-saving style)

Most promising rookie for now: JE Vergne. He actually uses the same approach as Algersuari last year, saving tyres in qualifying and making up for it in the race. Maybe RBR's search for a new Vettel found a candidate with him.

There appears to be nothing wrong with the car, except that it's on fire!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
support , team

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page