Ferrari running Scared - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: -
Cheese Ferrari running Scared

so Ferrari is afraid that Minardi might beat them in modified 2004 car

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=37715
"Minardi may be forced to withdraw from Sunday's Australian Formula One Grand Prix after Ferrari refused to agree to their cars competing.

Ferrari principal Jean Todt rebuffed Minardi owner Paul Stoddart just minutes before the first practice session, ensuring the Minardi cars remained garaged.

This dispute is set to smolder on into Saturday after Ferrari placed the issues in the hands of its lawyers in New York.

Stoddart, furious and weary after a sleepless week, said the incident highlighted the ugly nature of F1 politics.

Unless the spat can be resolved before Saturday's first qualifying session, Minardi will have to pack up and return to Italy.

Stoddart said he had the signatures of the other eight team principals agreeing that he be allowed to run the 2004-model cars which have not been updated to 2005 specifications.

But there is doubt over the validity of those from Red Bull (formerly Jaguar) and Jordan as these were obtained when the teams were operated by different personnel last season.

Stoddart said on Friday Todt had asked the controlling body, the FIA, to become involved and sign the letter which they declined to do.

"They told him it was a matter between Ferrari and Minardi and not the FIA but they did confirm that without a letter from him the stewards would not allow the cars to run.

"I am now waiting for the Ferrari lawyers in New York to construct a letter that I can take to the stewards," Stoddart said."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Antwerpen
Re: Ferrari running Scared

instead of loud mouthing, Stoddart should have better spend his time with altering his cars so they would meet the new regulations... rules are rules,and they apply to every team.. doesn't matter if your on the bottom of the grid or not..
what if it would have been Ferrari that hadn't changed their cars but wanted to compete anyway? do you think the other teams would still be so friendly as to let them in? I don't think so
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimster
instead of loud mouthing, Stoddart should have better spend his time with altering his cars so they would meet the new regulations... rules are rules,and they apply to every team.. doesn't matter if your on the bottom of the grid or not..
what if it would have been Ferrari that hadn't changed their cars but wanted to compete anyway? do you think the other teams would still be so friendly as to let them in? I don't think so
But last years Ferrari would probably still win

Minardi's car will not be available until several races ito the season. Teams without money have a harder time coping with rapid rule changes. Personally, in a case such as this, it just looks like Bloody mindedness on Ferraris part. F1 is boring enough as it is without having even less teams running around
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561

Member car:

busso powered

Mind you, not only Ferrari is blocking the entrance of Minardi to the race. Red Bull said no as well.

Anyway, cars need to meet new regulations. It doesn't matter where they are on the grid.

And if I am not mistaken the new regulations make the F1 car a lot slower. This won't harm Ferrari of course, but I would not be surprised if a Minardi wouldn't finish last if they use the 2004 car.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

But also the f1 stewards gave stated "inappropriate and unacceptable" for Minardi to race with cars which did not meet 2005 technical rules.
The regulations are for all, why should Minardi be an exception? Every other mfr has had to make changes to comply. There is now a rumour the other mfr's will boycott the race if Minardi cannot run.... at least it'll give Ferrari more track time as they have to run shorter practice sessions now!
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by selespeed
Mind you, not only Ferrari is blocking the entrance of Minardi to the race. Red Bull said no as well.
Indeed, this just smacks of more Ferrari bashing. Imagine if Minardi had finished ahead of Red Bull and denied them points, which at the end of the day determines whether they get their travelling expenses paid?
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

So Stoddard has secured an injunction allowing Minardi to take part in qualifying. This IMHO is totally wrong. Minardi has not made the changes required to fall in line with the rule changes, the others have, Minardi should sit it out until they do. Simple as that. Stoddard can't afford to be in F1 and should kindly shut the door behind himself on his way out. His wingeing is far more boring than Ferrari winning all the time.

(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 04-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholic
Indeed, this just smacks of more Ferrari bashing. Imagine if Minardi had finished ahead of Red Bull and denied them points, which at the end of the day determines whether they get their travelling expenses paid?
Well this post was started as a Joke...
However whilst we can all understand Red Bull being worried it is much stranger for Ferrari...if Ferrari are worried of a Minardi that was several seconds of the pace, and normally did not finish then Ferrari are in for a very tough season..

Strangely Minardi are supposedly able to make their car conform but would take several hours to do so (or so Paul Stoddard said on TV this afternoon )
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
Well this post was started as a Joke...
Yeah sorry m8, I meant Stoddart bashing Ferrari, not you.

Seems as though it's open season on Ferrari when the simple fact is Minardi knew the rule changes and have done nowt about it. And if Minardi can make their car conform then just get on and do it. Or, as Gibbo says, get out till you can play with the bigboys.
AO Platinum Member

Thumbs Up Re: Ferrari running Scared

The trouble is that Stoddart has become the mouthpiece for the "gang of nine" other teams who are pushing for testing reductions. He's been led to moaning about Ferrari's stance on testing and has made private conversations with Jeam Todt public. In short he !!!!ed 'em off, now wants them to do him a favour.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo
So Stoddard has secured an injunction allowing Minardi to take part in qualifying. This IMHO is totally wrong. Minardi has not made the changes required to fall in line with the rule changes, the others have, Minardi should sit it out until they do. Simple as that. Stoddard can't afford to be in F1 and should kindly shut the door behind himself on his way out. His wingeing is far more boring than Ferrari winning all the time.
I base my opinion on what I believe to be correct - if my belief is wrong, please feel free to take the ****

The injunction should not have been necessary - I understood the 'concord agreement' to mean that if all the other teams agreed, technical regs could be stretched/reinterpreted.

The stewards refused to accept this allowance & so they deserved to have an injunction served.

Paul Stoddart is mostly guilty of firing the loaded gun which is put in his 'safe' hands by others such as Eddie Jordan (in the past) etc. so that the public perceive F1 to be picking on the poorly funded teams (BTW, how much salary does Paul Stoddart get ).

Minardi had a 2005 package but refused to spend 8 hours putting it together, choosing to spend 6 months trying to use the 2004 car instead - great publicity for Minardi - they would not be in the news otherwise.

Christian Horner was against the principle of the teams deciding what is allowable under the rules & wanted the 'governing body' to have to make the decisions.
I believe that this is a fundamentally good idea.

Minardi have a place in F1, but should either decide they want to play by the rules, or go away.

Waiting for an Alfa version of a Maserati Quattroporte
AO Silver Member

As a Greek F1 commentator very well put it "Paul Stoddard only cares about having two slow moving commercial signs on the track that can bring money to his pockets" and I totally second that. His behaviour is unspeakable.
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 08-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Maybe the problem with the other teams that Ferrari is too friendly with Bernie Ecclestone..so friendly that they can make an agreement and expect all the other teams to agree with Ferrari and Bernie....
For some reason Ferrari seem to think they are Formula 1... Well if Ferrari is not carefull then maybe they will...and they will need to run 20 cars in the Ferrari F1 challenge
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Quote:
Maybe the problem with the other teams that Ferrari is too friendly with Bernie Ecclestone..so friendly that they can make an agreement and expect all the other teams to agree with Ferrari and Bernie....
For some reason Ferrari seem to think they are Formula 1... Well if Ferrari is not carefull then maybe they will...and they will need to run 20 cars in the Ferrari F1 challenge
A 1 make series of the absolutely quickest ever F1 car........bring it on

Mind you, the prices of Alfas would have to go up to fund it
AO Platinum Member

Part of the beef the other teams have is this "unfair" preferential treatment of Ferrari. I think that is rather wide of the mark. Ferrari has an unrivalled history in F1 and is without a doubt a key draw for many fans of F1.

They've signed up for the new concorde agreement in 2008 and took their incentive payment. This isn't a "one-off" and "exclusive" (bribe) payment that is widely reported. If any other team signs they'll get their share too.

The Ferrari payment is bigger and that's what narks the likes of Jordan and Minardi but Jean Todt's view is that Ferrari is a commercial draw for F1 so should get more. That's what causes the tension.

If you pay 80 to go watch Grimsby football club play Scarborough then you'll obviously disagree with that principle but most people (including those who go to watch the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea) expect "glamour" to cost more.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 09-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S.
Part of the beef the other teams have is this "unfair" preferential treatment of Ferrari. I think that is rather wide of the mark. Ferrari has an unrivalled history in F1 and is without a doubt a key draw for many fans of F1.

They've signed up for the new concorde agreement in 2008 and took their incentive payment. This isn't a "one-off" and "exclusive" (bribe) payment that is widely reported. If any other team signs they'll get their share too.

The Ferrari payment is bigger and that's what narks the likes of Jordan and Minardi but Jean Todt's view is that Ferrari is a commercial draw for F1 so should get more. That's what causes the tension.

If you pay 80 to go watch Grimsby football club play Scarborough then you'll obviously disagree with that principle but most people (including those who go to watch the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea) expect "glamour" to cost more.

Ralf S.
I go to watch Alfa Romeo...
Oops they arn't there anymore..maybe that is why I stay at home and save my money

So the best team gets the most money to garrantee it is the best team...
F1 the corrupt sport comes to mind
AO Silver Member

Quote:
So the best team gets the most money to garrantee it is the best team...
F1 the corrupt sport comes to mind
Stori I think you're being a little unfair on Ferrari. If it wasn't for Ferrari, or if Ferrari decides to quit F1, I doubt that one third of the spectators and F1 fans would even bother to watch a race on TV. 14 Driver's Championships and at least as many Constructors' can validate my point. I don't think that any team can beat that.

P.S. By "team" I mean a real team (engine, chassis the works)

Ferrari may be the greater draw but without the other teams there would be no F1. They need to remember that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
ferrari , running , scared

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page