F1 "drivers" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 15-02-05 Thread Starter

F1 "drivers"

Having seen the completed driver line ups this year it is clear to see that eight of the ten teams are putting what they see as the quickest bums on their seats.

However, Jordan and Minardi are continuing to put the most money on theirs regardless of ability. Now I realise that money counts, without it there would be no seat, but surely the continuing decline of these two teams must be in direct comparison with the choice of their drivers based ever more on money rather than talent? Soon they will have the money but no worthwhile seat to put it on, but I think they are already there?

Of course Eddie and Paul will spout the reason of "giving talent a break" but some of the drivers, expecially at Minardi, were hardly capable at the lower levels - Alex Yooung is a sight to behold floundering mostly off the circuit in Aussie V8 tourers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: F1 "drivers"

Where did you see the list?
I agree that Jordan was always shooting itself in the foot by using cheap or wealthy but useless drivers.
Where is David Coulthard this year - he seems to be playing a blinder (now one of the longest serving drivers in F1) and not achieving much - the Tim Henman of F1
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 16-02-05 Thread Starter

The list is on the BBC website in the motorsports sub section of the sports pages. Minardi announced their second paying taxi driver yesterday.

Take what you mean about DC but I think he has done better than Henman. At least DC has won races, Henman can't even win one of the four big tournaments. Us English love a gallant looser, there is nothing worse than an efficient winner is there Mr Schumacher?
AO Silver Member

Hopefully we will have a more interesting season this year. I note Irish TV have lost the right to broadcast it so am wondering how I will see it on TV at all as I doont get ITV in my Sky channel package
I guess I will have to watch it in the TV at work where they do receive it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...rs/4249091.stm
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

Renault have been looking very strong in practice, whilst Ferrari are still using last seasons car but with the necessary wing modifications, whilst all the other top teams have developed new cars...
I'm not sure on the new rules, one set of tyres per race (and qualifiying I think?), to help keep costs down and to slow down the cars.... well the changes in wing design teams have had to spend a lot of money redesigning the aerodynamics, and one set of tyres is pure dangerous.
Also the longer engine life (1 engine has to last 2 races now?) has also pushed up R&D costs, so again the lesser well off teams will struggle. All of these points are supposed to make it 'easier' for the lesser teams!

Websites are like ********s, everyone has one, and im wary of any bloke trying to direct people into their's
AO Gold Member

County: -

To be brutaly honest, F1 is now just a glorified advertising event with little true racing occuring. Do the cars evoke passion .....well if you like the sound of an Angry hornet and the "pow" of a gear change they do.

Now we have not onlt have treaded tyres but also one set of tyres per race and engines to last 2 races. Might as well through no fuel stops as well and we can have Ernie's F1 economy drive.

Bernie Ecclestone's new book is coming ....
How to make money by making something as boring, as boring can be

Of course maybe the real reason for F1 is to help insomniacs get a good nights sleep

AO Member

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tim Henman of F1 Excellent !!!

Yeah, F1 is so boring now it's like they are doing it on purpose !!

I remember not so long ago when Ayrton Senna died I cried ! Don't know why as I didn't personally know the bloke but F1 was different in those days. Drivers were human and cars were real cars !!
Bring back Nigel Mansell and co !!!

F1
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

yup it is very boring, and to see they've crapped up the touring cars as well, what hope is there for motorsport in this country. Or any sport they way they're all going! Oh well, can't wait till we get the olympics, then we can show the world how crap we are at hosting big events as well as not winning anything!!

Currently reading Senna's biography, it's a very interesting read and well written. F1 was much better then, much more passionate and the driving skill seemed much better.
But then i still enjoy playing Grand Prix Legends rather than F1 games on the PC, they just dont provide the on the edge excitement.

Exactly, passion ! I don't wan't to take anything away from M.Schumacher but he is a machine !!!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarter
Oh well, can't wait till we get the olympics, then we can show the world how crap we are at hosting big events as well as not winning anything!!
[Off topic diversion warning on] You can't claim that crappy title. That's ours alone. Seriously I think we're the only country to have hosted an Olympic games and not produced a gold medal winner at those same games. Twice.

As for the hosting, we're one for two at that. Montreal was a mess and the city is still paying off the debt from 1976 and the stadium still isn't finished properly. Calgary was much more successful. We'll have to see about Vancouver. I'm sure the debt numbers are going to be scary after they're finished all the highway and infrastructure rebuilding. [Off topic diversion warning off]

As for Schumacher, who here can honestly claim to know the guy isn't passionate? Just because he shows a sense of decorum in public doesn't mean he doesn't care about driving.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

Well you have to admire his consistency! I dont think anyone can argue he's not passionate about it, but there's no excitement in watching a race. Once qualifying's over it 99% dictates the final race positions. The touring cars used to be excellent fun, position changes every 30 seconds, every lap there was a new leader, real bumper to bumper close racing. Sure Schuey's an excellent driver, but up until now there hasn't been any strong enough competition to make it more than mildly interesting.
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 21-02-05 Thread Starter

The only way to make F1 interesting is to take heed from such racing classics as "Super Mario Kart" and introduce oil slicks, power up mushrooms and homing shells to knock out an opponent!

Oh, and don't forget to dress the drivers as cartoon characters.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 21-02-05 Thread Starter

Wacky Races is also a thought...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
drivers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page