Villeneuve back in F1 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 15-09-04 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Villeneuve back in F1

I'll have to give myself partial points. I predicted the return this year but got the team wrong.
--Toronto
===========

Villeneuve signs two-year deal with Sauber

The Sauber Petronas team has signed Jacques Villeneuve as a new driver from the 2005 season onwards. The 33-year-old Canadian entered into a two-year contract, which will come into effect on November 1, 2004. Jacques Villeneuve will be the team mate of Felipe Massa who will continue to drive for Sauber next year.

Expressing his enthusiasm about signing Jacques Villeneuve, Team Principal Peter Sauber said: "I have to admit that signing a former World Champion is something truely special for me. However, I want to make it clear that this was not the decisive factor."

"When I was talking to Jacques, I could feel that he is absolutely keen and committed to return to Formula One," Sauber added. "He was always a great fighter and I am convinced that together we can achieve a lot. I fully realise that signing a former World Champion is also an obligation for the team to provide him with a car that meets his expectations. The Sauber team has made considerable progress this year, and I am confident that we are ready to tackle this challenge."

Jacques Villeneuve is also optimistic: "I am extremely excited to be back in Formula One with the Sauber team, and I appreciate the confidence everybody is showing in me," he said. "It is my goal to work with Peter and his team to bring them forward in the championship during the next two seasons. In my recent visit to Sauber I have been extremely impressed by the professionalism which is apparent throughout the factory. I am looking forward to seeing the results that will be developed by the state-of-the-art wind tunnel."

Jacques Villeneuve entered Formula One in 1996 and won a total of eleven races. He was World Champion in 1997.
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=63337
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Hmmm Re: Villeneuve back in F1

Great news!!

But Sauber?
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Re: Villeneuve back in F1

I saw that he was linked with Renault Oh well....he's obviously not keen on winning anything again.

It's a choice of Sauber or nothing at all. If he consistently beats Massa it will no doubt make other teams take notice...the Ferrari link being an obvious one.

F1 needs more real racers and characters like JV - can't wait to see him back! And I also look forward to seeing Montoya and JV go head to head
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I thought Coulthard might get that drive?, wonder where he's going to end up.

Be good to see JV back though, hope they can get a Car to match his talents.

I think DC is still trying to court Dave Richards for the BAR drive, but, more realistically I suppose, he'll prob end up at Jaguar who want a Brit driver...

Erm, maybe not Jaguar after all then
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

JV will replace Schumi in 2006. And then, a Villeneuve will finally and rightly be world champion with a scarlet car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot
JV will replace Schumi in 2006. And then, a Villeneuve will finally and rightly be world champion with a scarlet car.
Either that or he'll die trying! Anyone know the way to Zolder?
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Just a thought, I wonder what Ferrari would do if Sauber suddenly found form and started winning races?.

I bet the Sauber Engines would start mysteriously failing or not quite providing the right power.....

And hell would freeze over first.
AO Platinum Member

Thumbs Up Re: Villeneuve back in F1

I think Ferrari would be quite chuffed if the Sauber was quicker... shows that they do give out the same engines.

In any case, their customer engine is still miles better than anyone else's customer engine (which amounts to.... erm... oh yeah, no-body else bothers, apart from the now M.I.A Ford Co. Hooray the cynics!)

This "Villeneuve Dream" is just a fantasy. First of all he doesn't see the Ferrari connection with the same passion that the majority of the old Villeneuve Snr fans might suppose. He once said it's just another team, as far as he was concerned. I reckon he ain't up to the job of emulating Pa' and knows it...

Second, he's not that good. He made heavy weather of winning the title in '97 and never amounted to a great deal since. He'll go well in the Sauber as it'll be a tidy car but next year the main teams will still be Ferrari, McLaren, BAR and Williams, in that order.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Be interesting to see how he goes in the Renault for the last 3 races of the season.
Are we going to see a return of Hakkinen next?

Villeneuve's got balls, there is no doubt about it, but for me he's overrated.
Don't get me wrong, it was great watching him drive the Williams but painful watching him trying to do anything worthwhile with the BAR, he just didn't have the feel to get anything extra out of the car. Then he leaves and BAR take off!!

I once found myself standing next to him at the magazine rack in WHSmiths, Heathrow. He reads PCFormat magazine by the way
AO Member

All Vile-enough achieved with BAR was a huge salary for himself. I think its telling how BAR have suddenly come good with young Jensen (and Sato to a lesser extent) driving for them.
The Chinese GP this weekend will be a good measure of JVs alleged ability as neither he nor anybody else has ever driven there and he is in a top 4 team. If he's as good as they say he should get a points finish.

"I once found myself standing next to him at the magazine rack in WHSmiths, Heathrow. He reads PCFormat magazine by the way ""

Has anyone else seen a F1 driver 'in the flesh?'
The lad in the office downstairs saw Jense in Tescos in Fulham. He was very relaxed and friendly apparently.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

I once got to stand next to Schumi,whilst checking out of a hotel in Daventry.He`d been testing at Silverstone the previous day in the run up to the British GP.I was too gobsmacked/starstruck to ask for an autograph.
Also got DC to pose for a photo while a mate asked him for an autograph,in the pit lane at Silverstone.
Once pulled alongside a chauffeur driven limo,on the M25 to see Jackie Stewart sitting in the back.
Also been in the Jordan garage while Pedro de la Rosa was testing,and on the same occasion said hello to Johnny Herbert.

Some days you`re the statue and some days you`re the pigeon
AO Gold Member

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Almost forgot.Almost walked into Nigel Mansell at Southampton boat show a few years back when he was shooping for a new Sunseeker.
(Post Link) post #18 of 24 Old 24-09-04 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie155
Has anyone else seen a F1 driver 'in the flesh?'
The lad in the office downstairs saw Jense in Tescos in Fulham. He was very relaxed and friendly apparently.
Got to go to a party with Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard.

Let me rephrase that.

I got to go to a small party where Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard were in official attendance. They were nice enough and friendly enough and did the rounds chatting with us. They answered questions politely, but since they were on the clock, I'm not making any conclusions for the record.
--Toronto
AO Member

So JV acted as a mobile chicane to hold up MS for a dozen laps, span once, got lapped and finished 11th.
Hmmm. Nuff said.

I had to wait my turn for Mika Hakkinen to finish before I could take a ****** in the bogs at Snetterton back in 89.

Bet he gets his own private pi$$er now with DC to hold the bog roll for him?
AO Platinum Member

I hope JV will settle in again and go well at Sauber but I don't think he'll ever do great again though. Still... I'd swap jobs/talent with him...

I saw Freddie Spencer in the flesh once. Then Roberts, Mamola, Sarron, Gardner and Lawson all one after the other.

Four World Champions in half a second. San Marino GP, 1987.

Ralf S.
AO Member

"I saw Freddie Spencer in the flesh once. Then Roberts, Mamola, Sarron, Gardner and Lawson all one after the other"

That's quite a haul!
I saw the late great Barry Sheene at Goodwood and also sat next to him on some yoof programme hosted by Janet Street Porter. He was sitting on my Honda but had to move when the cameras rolled because he was a contracted works Suzuki rider at the time. What a thoroughly bloody great bloke.

Also saw Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac fame at Goodwood. Couldn't really miss him as he's about 6'7" tall.
AO Silver Member

I think Villeneuve is the supreme example of the typical fomula one driver of today. Arrogant, cranky and with an unshakable belief he is the best thing the sport has ever seen. Well I don't see his return as such a bonus for Fomula one.
As for Ferrari, I love the road cars but the team are out of favour with me too. They in my opinion sabotaged Eddie Ervines chances of being world champion a few years back after Mr Shumasher's accident where he broke his leg. Eddie needed only a few points but they did not support him. Mr Shumasher had to be the first world champion in the team. Remember when at a crucial pit stop one of the pit stop crew "forgot" to have a wheel ready for him! - things like that don't happen by accident. Also his car had a very mysterious breakdown at a crucial final race. Mr Shumasher is a great driver but he is ruining the sport and if he continues to dominate it so much its finished for good.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

It looks like he won't even make it into Nascar

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
back , villeneuve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page