When Playboys Ruled The World ( James Hunt and Barry Sheene) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 16-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

When Playboys Ruled The World ( James Hunt and Barry Sheene)

Anybody else see this great documentary on ITV last night, it was the year 1976, and showed both James Hunt and Barry Sheene at their best, when they both won their respective Drivers Championships. Some of the archive footage was brilliant, to see them ( and others ) walking around the pits with lighted fags and drinks all over the place, plus all the other perks of a fast living lifestyle, which is a total contrast from todays sporting celebrities......

Well worth a watch IMHO, Folks........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: -
Yes I did

Incredible footage and as you say, cigarettes in pits I'd forgotten how dangerous motor sports used to be and some of the statistics are horrific. And the images of Ronnie Peterson's crash and Nikki Lauda being lifted from the wreckage of his car were truly shocking.

But, two genuine characters, the like of which we will probably never see again.

As you say, well worth a watch.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
For me it was a fantastic nostalgia trip

James Hunt winning his first Race in a 'Hesketh'! , Barry Sheene and his awful crash at Silverstone!...Long hair, Flares and untold flirting with the girls (and more!)......i never knew they were both that promiscuous ..Christ! the press would have had a field day if it happened nowadays ....Even Barry's wife turned a blind eye to the Randy Sheene !

For anyone with petrol in their veins & over their mid 40's this is what racing and the 70's was all about......A great show, glad i watched it

Arte et Marte, By Skill & by Fighting.

Traded my soul for lifelong car heaven! and poverty !
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
What a fantastic program, bought back some real memories - Barry Sheene was my childhood hero!!

I was 10 in 1976 and lived just 3 miles from Mallory Park, a school mate was the son of the circuit manager so on race day we just walked in, the Transatlantic Trophy was in my view the highlight of the year, Brits Sheene, Parrish,, Phil Read, Mick Grant against the US, Kenny Roberts, Steve Baker, Gary Nixon. World Class superstars almost in my back yard. I crawled under the press tent flap and got Barry Sheene to sign my programme, still got it somewhere.

Motor Racing was also a part of my early life, I had a large scale Ronnie Peterson JPS Model it was metal and had a spanner that you could remove the wheels - top notch when your 10. When he died in that horrific accident I cried for days.

I also shed a tear when Sheene died in 2003 a true Legend.

"Once an Alfaholic, always an Alfaholic"

"Petrolhead Heaven - The only way to get there is in an Alfa Romeo"

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

I've watched the first part on their iplayer equivalent.

I'm more interested in Hunt and Sheene than hearing Spanky moaning about the press.
(Post Link) post #6 of 37 Old 16-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Great to hear other members on here enjoyed it as much as I did...........
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

I've just finished watching it.

That still at the end with Hunt stood in front of Sheene on boat somewhere like Monaco. It looks like Hunt is knocking back a bottle of Brut 33.

We'll never see their like again? Isn't Webber outspoken? Didn't Webber comment on how Spanky's hobby was bad for the standing of F1? 'Not bad for a number 2 driver'?

I can't take much of what Spanky says seriously given his private life. It grated when he recited that tale of him and Hunt going to some penthouse apartment in South America and snorting white lines. It seemed hypocritcal. I'm not sure you should tell tales out of school if you don't like it when it's done about you.

I'm not sure Hunt and Sheene playing around sat well with Spanky having to pay for it.

1976, an age before the term 'sex worker' was coined?

Sheene's widow grated on me a little. Her comment that any man would given the chance was a bit sterotypical and possibly a little insulting. She came across better to me at the end with her dining room full of bikes. It was a reminder to me that many attractive, beautiful women are not models.

I don't think it's the money that makes us interested with celebrity sportsmen, it's as much their usefulness to the media.

I follow F1. I think Hamilton is a great driver. I don't care about his wages, or his sex life. I like Hamilton for his on track skills and him taking the fight to other competitors as soon as he arrived.

Some cracking cars in the background. Sheene in the back of a Princess? That Mk2 Capri with hub caps, that blue Alfetta, that silver Saab 99.

Nice twinkly guitar.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

It brushed over this:

F1 News > Berger and Sheene off the hook

Hunt and Sheene were both mortals and therefore likely to make the same errors of judgement as anyone else?
AlfaLincs

I remember one tribute programme to Barry Sheene where they interviewed some of his opponents. One of them was a foreign rider (can't remember whom) that Sheene had overtaken to win a race . To the other riders astonishment and bemusement, Sheene sought him out in the paddock afterwards to explain to him where his technique needed improving, and how he had planned his overtaking manoevre.

Don't see that happening today...or even back then come to think of it

I think its that kind of thing, aside from his raw talent and personality, that made Barry Sheene someone very special. And having a name like Sheene, well you couldn't make it up could you.

I saw Hunt race in F3 at Croft in the Team Rose Bearings March in the last sixties/early seventies then last in the 75 British GP in a Hesketh, which went a bit sick sounding when it broke an exhaust If I recall correctly.

AlfaLincs

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It certainly stirred up thoughts about F1 being too safe these days.
Don't get me wrong, the years up to the late 1990's were much too
risky with the number of driver deaths being horrendous... But we seem
to have gone way over the top now. Drivers can crash on purpose,
run each other into armco and have wheel to wheel battles that involve
contact.

I'm not saying F1 is risk free... I just believe that drivers can be made to feel too
safe (and that applies to road cars as well).

I like to see the skill of the drivers battling each other but it should be tempered
with a bit of fear for the consequences.

Back to the programme... I'd forgotten how quickly Lauda got back in the driving
seat... no wonder he pulled out of the Japanese Grand Prix.

Great programme

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

It felt a bit thrown together to me. Perhaps I needed a more dumbed down narrative, it seemed a bit like filling an hour of TV with this footage we have and some talking head quotes.

I don't like Mosley or his hobby. I don't see that as a press and privacy issue. He's in the public eyes and made some very questionable decisions over the years so I think it's OK for him to have his life probed.

I didn't like the media/press component but that showed that in those days the reporters were in on it, but didn't report it?

Where as now the press would dig up or fabricate anything they can get away with?

On Radio 4 yesterday afternoon they covered that Sheen actor that played Clough in the Damned United with a previous BBC film critic saying he could suspend belief and believe it was Clough as Sheen had the mannerisms weighed off. Clough was a similar period, look how the local ITV news magazine ambushed him up and interviewed him besides the Leeds Manager he'd replaced or that just happened in the film?

Now we have England soccer players taking out super injunctions in the middle of the night, where as in the 70s the reporters were almost friends that were almost there for the ride and party but didn't report the unpleasantness, or in pre-AIDs, pre-prudish days sex here there and everywhere was OK?

Is there a difference between free sex and paid for sex?

Now we have kiss and tell stories and bonking someone famous can be nice little earner?

It also made me ponder the different ways we view men and women. Has that changed?

Men that are a hit with thousands of women are deemed heroes where as women that do it are called far more unpleasant things? Given the way Rooney is viewed for his extra-curricular activies perhaps men that play around now are deemed to be closer to women that like sex?

We live in less sexist times?

Are we completely with sports stars and 'celebs'? That's what we're served up by the media or that's what we're really interested in?

Am I bothered about Rooney paying for it with the girlfriend of some merseyside felon? Am I bothered about Mosley's hobby? Well he set himself up as the sole arbitter of F1 and he's made some very questionable decisions not just at Monza in 2006, but also the switch from V10s to V8s etc.

If it was Button, Hamilton or Sir JYS that were in that flat in London in the fancy dress costumes practising their 'Allo 'Allo accents and drinking tea splashed all over the tabloids what would the reaction have been then?

Is it ageist to think that there's some cut off age from where it's acceptable to be a hit with the ladies and when you become a 'dirty old man'?

Last edited by In_The_Pass; 23-11-10 at 15:33.
Damien_C

Even though I wasn't around when James Hunt won his championships he is to me the greatest F1 driver ever. Purely for his character and the way he drove brilliant chap shame he died so young and just as his life was getting back on track

Unregistered

County: Midlands

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza96 View Post
It brushed over this:

F1 News > Berger and Sheene off the hook

Hunt and Sheene were both mortals and therefore likely to make the same errors of judgement as anyone else?

Of course it brushed over this!!! It was unfounded allgations only.
AO Silver Member

I drove Barry Sheen to a black tie do at Goodwood House some years ago, he was wearing a white T shirt and jeans!!!!!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

I wonder how those unfounded allegations compare with those used to place Julian Assange under house arrest?
Unregistered

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
I wonder how those unfounded allegations compare with those used to place Julian Assange under house arrest?

What????

The Assange case is a pile of rubbish, i think we know its a set up (he stayed at the Flat of the women he raped for further 10 days after )

Why you are dragging that into here i'll never know. Why are you trying to make Barry Sheene look bad?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

No.

I'm just making a comparison.

It's no worse than the inclusion of Mosley in that programme and his campaign to control the press.

Hunt and Sheene filling their boots doesn't compare with Mosley joining women in a basement to dress up and drink tea with him does it?

Hunt and Sheene were sporting superstars of their time. Is Mosley a sporting superstar of his time or any other?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

When Playboys Ruled The World (And one Playpensioner that would like to rule the world)?
Unregistered

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
When Playboys Ruled The World (And one Playpensioner that would like to rule the world)?
You have lost me, i'm out.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

Did you watch the programme?

It featured Max Mosley. One of the themes touched upon in the programme was how in the day of Hunt and Sheene journalists were in the inner circle of friends and didn't print stories that may have been damaging or unhelpful. The programme also featured Max Mosley bellyaching about the press and privacy and his forthcoming attempt at the EU courts to constrain the press.

I think the programme went a bit off piste comparing Sheene and Hunt with Mosley who rather than being a sporting hero is just a rich old man with possibly unusual tastes.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
is it still possible to watch this programme?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

It's not on the ITV iplayer equivalent.

Hunt and Sheene: When Playboys Ruled The World | Week 46 - ITV Press Centre

I don't know if it's on any p2p streaming websites.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
excellent programme,

but what was the music payed over the end credits? I heard it again recently, I need to get shazam I guess
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

James Hunt is on the cover of the latest issue of Motor Sport:

James Hunt: what a carry on! | Motor Sport Magazine
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

A couple of Murray Walker's tales about James Hunt in this podcast had me grinning broadly:

August’s audio podcast with Murray Walker | Motor Sport Magazine

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
barry , hunt , james , playboys , ruled , sheene , world

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page