F1 2011 Discussion Thread - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 1467 Old 15-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

F1 2011 Discussion Thread

Seems a gooder time as any to kick this one off...

A few burning questions:

KERS - Good or bad idea?
Will Pirelli have any Michelin moments?
Who will find the loop hole in the regulations, a la F-Duct?
What will be the scandal?
Will the Indian track be ready in time?
Will Rob Smedly have a job

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Formula_One_season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
That's a nice summary from Wikipedia. Thanks for posting it

Looking forward to next year. I am glad they're reinstating the 107% rule. Some of those backmarkers are nothing more than mobile chicanes.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Does anyone feel that Massa has lost a certain something since his accident?
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Probably not , he is just not 'up there' with the likes of Hamilton,Vettel and Alonso and was behind Webber as well, simply because of the Red Bull car!

Having said that, it is time he moved over for some younger blood IMO.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

"The Hulk" to leave Williams

Hulkenberg leaving Williams.
Rubens staying
(Post Link) post #6 of 1467 Old 15-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Yes....he appears to have gone backwards (Der Teufel may have comment on this). It's a shame because he seem to have some zest in his driving previously.
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Alfa Spider

KERS good in conjunction with adjustable rear wing

Any tyre issues will be the same for all teams, depends how their cars use them

Rob Smedley will be working at Sauber with his driver Massa once he is bought out of his contract by the Scuderia, be interesting having Kubica in the second red car.

Should be another interesting season, put my money on Alonso.
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Saab 9-3 Aero.

That was a good summary from Wiki.

I didnt think Schuey was doing another season but according to that he is, hopefully the Merc will be more competitive this time around.

The re introduction of Kers, ok I liked this idea, but i dont agree that they have raised the minimum weight of cars, as this penalizes the teams that would rather save weight by not using the kers. So staight away the slower teams are screwed.

The 107% rule is good, but it does not state what happens if somebody has a smash during Q3, is basically saying your out the GP? imagine Alonso, Vettal, Hammilton etc not being in the race as they crashed in Q3 it does happen. Even thou it does not state on Wiki im sure there would be a exception for spinning out of the qualifying, Back of the grid/pit stop start.

The best news is that Brazilian Gp is once again the last race of the season. Its always a great Gp. Its just a shame that they have not moved Melbourne to the first race, as Bahrain was dab.

We're human, when we want something that bad, we lie.

PS3 ID. chuffmonkey

3x AO GT5 champion

HSTDriver

Melbourne should start the season, Suzuka should finish it.

It just felt 'right' that way

AO Silver Member

Looking forward to it already!

A suggestion for scandal: Pirelli "tailoring" the tyres to suit Ferrari. Discuss....

I would expect Red Bull to do something interesting again - they have THE designer in Adrian Newey. I so wish McLaren still had him!!

IF the Woking lot can deliver a better car then expect Hamilton to be VERY hard to beat.

Massa - yeah I think a combination of the accident and Alonso's arrival (remember he insists on No.1 status) have done something to his confidence. Should change teams really...

As for KERS, if it improves overtaking ops then yes please! On the reverse of that, it made F1 seem a bit like a computer game to me last time they used it?....

Brazil last GP again? thank HEAVEN for that!!!
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoman View Post
Looking forward to it already!

A suggestion for scandal: Pirelli "tailoring" the tyres to suit Ferrari. Discuss....

I would expect Red Bull to do something interesting again - they have THE designer in Adrian Newey. I so wish McLaren still had him!!

IF the Woking lot can deliver a better car then expect Hamilton to be VERY hard to beat.

Massa - yeah I think a combination of the accident and Alonso's arrival (remember he insists on No.1 status) have done something to his confidence. Should change teams really...

As for KERS, if it improves overtaking ops then yes please! On the reverse of that, it made F1 seem a bit like a computer game to me last time they used it?....

Brazil last GP again? thank HEAVEN for that!!!
Pirelli - Didnt take long for that one, McLaren ECU anyone??

I would expect the others may be closer to RBR, as Newey said himself, radical rule changes are where he gets the jump

Alonso does not insist on number one status

Agree on Brazil
AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR View Post
Pirelli - Didnt take long for that one, McLaren ECU anyone??

I would expect the others may be closer to RBR, as Newey said himself, radical rule changes are where he gets the jump

Agree on Brazil

+ 1

Couldn't have put this better myself!
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR View Post
Ah but he sort of does, really

AO Silver Member

"Felipe.....Alonso is faster than you.....can you confirm you understand....."

btw don't take the Pirelli bit too seriously (or any of the rest of it for that matter!) - I was just giving us a starter for 10!! And yeah the McLaren ECU would be just as valid

But Mr Alonso definitely, certainly, seeks "preferential status" in the teams he drives for. And if he doesn't get it you can almost see the teddies and dummies flying out the cockpit as he goes round....

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great driver, ability-wise....and in fairness he's only trying to have it like Schumacher did...

Anyways I LOVE the scandal and controversy that comes with F1. Makes it like a big soap opera They've still got to go some to get back to the Prost and Senna days but there are the occasional flashes (Messrs Vettel and Webber for one). I just hope dearly that the on track action is up to scratch next year again - but with more overtaking and wheel to wheel (I can dream.....)
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Also think back to Oz, Alonso tearing through the field, comes up behind Massa who is clearly slowing him down. They didnt "move" Massa over then. If he insisted on no 1 status they would have had to.

Also in one of the far east races, same thing happened and Alonso muscled past in the pit lane entry, again, they hadnt switched them

By Germany it was clear to all that Massa wasnt performing enough to chase for the championship, so "massa" made the decision
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Apologies for posting this again, but the same old arguments come up. When Alonso was at McLaren, all he wanted was EQUAL treatment. He felt as though the team were behind Hamiltron (whether he was right in thinking this is another matter) but.....

From the BBC blog...

BBC - Andrew Benson: Alonso over-reaching in fight with Red Bull

Relevant bit...

Alonso's last victory in Monaco was in 2007, and it was the event that marked the beginning of the end of his relationship with McLaren and their former team principal Ron Dennis.

That race is remembered as one that Alonso won thanks to team orders, after McLaren told team-mate Lewis Hamilton to slow down and not challenge Alonso for the victory.

But that reading is wrong.

This has never come out before, but it was Dennis's actions after that race that so angered Alonso, and which convinced him the team would always be behind Hamilton and not him. That was the backdrop to the tumultuous fall-out that enveloped McLaren and Alonso as that famous 'spy-gate' summer unfolded.

As a McLaren insider revealed to me: "Fernando won in Monaco fair and square in 2007.

"Lewis was generally quicker through the weekend, but in qualifying Fernando did it and Lewis didn't. Lewis was quicker in the first run but then he made mistakes and Fernando got pole.

"Fernando won the race because he pulled an 11-second gap in the first stint when Lewis had (tyre) graining and after that Fernando was just cruising because we had rear brake issues.

"But after the race, Ron said to Fernando: 'Be nice to Lewis because we had to (pit) stop him early.' And Fernando said: 'What do you mean? I was just cruising.'

"He got very annoyed about that because it was like Ron saying we handed you the victory. Even after that, the relationship was unrecoverable."
AO Silver Member

Hmm.. "a McLaren insider" eh? alrighty then..... Bloody journalists.

In all seriousness I know what we see on the telly is a misrepresentation of the truth. BUT don't forget the whole crashgate scenario at Renault too. Just to get a chance of a race win. There's no smoke without at least a hint of a fire.....

"Massa wasn't performing"...hardly surprising really: (from the same article - I should think he was pretty hacked off by mid season at the latest....)

"For one thing, team principal Stefano Domenicali appears to have a deft hand when it comes to handling human relationships. For another, Massa, unlike Hamilton, clearly does not have the all-round ability to threaten Alonso on a regular basis.

But largely it is because Ferrari could not be more impressed with their new driver.

I understand that, even after just six races, they already feel that as a whole package - being a team player, technical feedback, his ability to read a race weekend and speed - Alonso is even better than Schumacher, the man who won five championships and 72 grands prix for the legendary Italian team"

OK equal billing at Ferrari then....not OK it stems from the fact that he's a seriously good driver (when things are going his way at least) but he still does whatever he can to get preferential status. I think he needs to "feel" no.1 to be properly settled. I don't actually have an issue with that. If he can get it then good luck to him It's the sulks when he doesn't that I can't be doing with!! Did you not HEAR him on the radio in Germany before Massa, erm, suffered a sudden, temporary, performance drop

On the flip of that, it's good to have all these different personalities in F1. It makes it much more interesting. Imagine what it would be like if they all got on really well ALL the time......
AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
Without bringing Alonso's personality into it - as the youngest ever double world Champion (2005/6) - Alonso is in a class of his own compared to most drivers out there. The only reason he wasn't triple world Champion is probably because of a wrong decision made by his team - yet Alonso didn't say a bad word against them
AO Silver Member

Yes, definitely. Alonso is probably the most COMPLETE driver on the grid.

If i was to draw parallels (and show my age!) Alonso is like Senna (although no-one will ever be exactly like Senna). Hamilton and Vettel are like Mansell - fast but tactically naive. Button is like Prost - thinks situations through and drives smoothly, disguising his true speed.

schumi is like......schumi. and he always was a little overrated in my opinion (oo more controversy!)

Any others of note / similarity?
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadiva View Post
Alonso is in a class of his own compared to most drivers out there.
I'd argue that Hamilton is faster, but not as consistant as Alonso. However he's maturing so much year on year I'd expect the consistency to keep on coming. (that said, 3 title chases in 4 years in the sport is pretty consistant!)

If Hamilton doesn't win at least 3 titles in his career i'd be amazed

AO Silver Member

Yeah I can see more titles for Hamilton. And Alonso too I think. Vettel, I'm not sure yet. I know he's fast in the right car but he seems to need to be at the front (I need to see another season to confirm that particular theory and could be quite wrong yet!). Hamilton can make a car punch quite a bit above it's weight. He occasionally disappoints me (as well as himself and millions of others ) with his decision making skills but he's still got plenty of time on his side.

Much as I like JB, I think he's had his big moment and isn't quite the match for Lewis. I love to see him take the occasional victory though and at times he was a joy to watch in the Brawn in 2009. I'm also really glad that he proved his critics mainly wrong this season.

I took a while to warm to him but I would like to see Mark Webber win it, or at least come above his team-mate next year. He's an honest, hard driving but pretty fair racer. I just don't quite think he has that last little edge that a champion needs. Close...but no banana

That's about it for my own stand-out drivers. Kubica maybe but I don't think he's the complete package. Likewise Rosberg. I think Schumacher will do better next season but will still be slightly behind the "top three" team's drivers.

Right, I'd better remember this and review it next November, whereupon I can tell myself what a ...erm... wally? I am / was
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
BBC Sport announced in 2013 engines to change from 2.4-litre V8s to 1.6-litre four-cylinder engines to increase awareness for fuel efficient engines.

Not sure the consequence of the change straight off but surely power and more importantly the noise will change for the worse. Don't want F1 cars to sound like f3 or worse.
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Saab 9-3 Aero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrim View Post
BBC Sport announced in 2013 engines to change from 2.4-litre V8s to 1.6-litre four-cylinder engines to increase awareness for fuel efficient engines.

Not sure the consequence of the change straight off but surely power and more importantly the noise will change for the worse. Don't want F1 cars to sound like f3 or worse.
If this does happen in F1 then that will totally kill off the sport. It wouldnt be the greatest racing series in the world anymore.

Whats next? Nascar and Le mans running 1.6 engines I hope not.
AO Member

If this is true (on the capacity change) then lets hope they bring the Turbo Chargers back !

Jeez! they must of been frightening to drive
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjae View Post
If this does happen in F1 then that will totally kill off the sport. It wouldnt be the greatest racing series in the world anymore.
It isn't at the moment anyway

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
2011 , discussion , thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page