Touring cars - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 30-03-04 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Touring cars

In just a couple of weeks, we will see another Alfa back in the BTCC, but this time driven by Carl Breeze, ex Halfords driver. The season starts at Thruxton over the bank holiday period and is live on ITV1.

The ETCC Alfa 156 has been allowed to enter under new rules and will compete in a seperate class to the traditional BTCC cars. Anyhow, this will bring more fun to an already exciting race series. The race day will see the traditional Pit Stops replaced with an extra sprint race so there is plenty of action to be had.

Dont say I didnt tell you so!

[CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Re: Touring cars

So Carl Breeze will be driving the ETCC 156? Won't that be faster than the standard BTCC cars? Do you know what other cars will eb competing in that class?
And will the racing be on the Monday, coz a lot of as will be at Mallory Park then
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Ian,

That's very to hear mate! Is this one also sponsored by Alfaowner Ian?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza
And will the racing be on the Monday, coz a lot of as will be at Mallory Park then
Do you have a video recorder Bazza....
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Yes, but it's a bit fubar, and I never bothered to get it fixed coz we have DVD now.
It works OK, but I think the heads are a bit bust, it keeps losing the stereo signal and flicking to mono for a second, but every time it does it it makes a really annoying fizz noise.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

So, are you saying you would rather stay at home and watch the telly than meet up with us lot?

Bah!

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

No, you weirdo.
I'm saying that I'll miss it coz I'll be out with you lot. Sure I'll get over it, and you never know, I might trawl out the recorder instructions so I can remember how to set the timer on it
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Jen has probably got some gadget which will allow us to watch the TV, while sat outside the donkey burger van at Mallory.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Like a TV you mean?

Carl Breeze is my Dad's business partner's daughter's boyfriend (very tenuous I know)! Been trying to get a visit organised so I can go and see the car.

I'll let you know how far I get...
(Post Link) post #11 of 38 Old 30-03-04 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Well, she is a nice girl, and very tanned
(Post Link) post #12 of 38 Old 30-03-04 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

The ETCC is slower on paper, but no one really knows what will happen!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner
Well, she is a nice girl, and very tanned
You've met Natasha Lane? Yeah, she's pretty hot isn't she? Would you believe a genius also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner
The ETCC is slower on paper, but no one really knows what will happen!?
The only reg. differences I know of are that the ETCC cars lack a sequential gearbox and have more bodywork restrictions to keep the cars looking more like showroom models. They both have practically the same wheel, tyre and engine regs. I can't see them being that much slower unless I've there's something I've missed somewhere. Guess they'll be competitive against the real BTCC cars.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Oh my god... and seems I can't get a flight ticket. I think I'll buy a rubber boat and I'll start my sailing classes imediatly!!
meatandtwoveg

Lovely!

(Post Link) post #16 of 38 Old 30-03-04 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhadeRunner
You've met Natasha Lane? Yeah, she's pretty hot isn't she? Would you believe a genius also?

The only reg. differences I know of are that the ETCC cars lack a sequential gearbox and have more bodywork restrictions to keep the cars looking more like showroom models. They both have practically the same wheel, tyre and engine regs. I can't see them being that much slower unless I've there's something I've missed somewhere. Guess they'll be competitive against the real BTCC cars.
Of course...

Carl switched to GA Motorsport last year, if you get the chance to go, you will discover that Colinand his wife and their circle of freinds are just some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Getting back to the subject, GA are beaming with the performance of the Alfa straight out of the box. It was the 1st run out and Breeze was running with very standard small brakes certainly not the correct ETCC spec, very standard rear suspension as the new rear suspension is on its way from Italy and a 2002 spec engine, because again a 2004 spec is on its way, so perhaps we might see some Alfa suprises? Carl will bring it home, okay, slightly more dented but I know that if the car is good, Breeze will bring it home!

Regarding the main performance related differences:

BTCC power is about 270bhp, ETCC is about 250bhp. The ETCC cars have smaller diameter brakes than BTCC spec. Another factor is power to weight ratios, the ETCC car is heavier, but again, no one knows what will happen until the first round I guess?

Lets hope for a straight win, just like Mondello last year in the rain!
(Post Link) post #18 of 38 Old 02-04-04 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinn
Lets hope for a straight win, just like Mondello last year in the rain!
Just like this
AO Member

Member car:

33 1.7 QV

And some pictures from the Monza 2004 ETCC ( first race ) :

Still looks beautifull!
AO Member

Member car:

155 TS 2.0 16 V.

Very good one Baiones !!!
(Post Link) post #21 of 38 Old 06-04-04 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhadeRunner
Carl Breeze is my Dad's business partner's daughter's boyfriend (very tenuous I know)! Been trying to get a visit organised so I can go and see the car.

I'll let you know how far I get...
Spoke to Colin tonight, he is well impressed with the Alfa and Carls performance, read on...

--------------------------------
Well I've been dying to tell you all about the new drive this year, and as you can see it's the great little SuretermDirect Alfa Romeo 156 GTA. It's an ETCC (European Touring Car Championships) specification car which means that it has less BHP (about 30bhp less) and not really as hi-tech suspension as the BTCC specification cars.

During testing however the works Seats driven by 2001 Champion Jason Plato and Rob Huff (2003 UK Seat Cupra Cup Champion) were both behind me which was pleasing for me as they too are ETCC spec cars.

This was our first test and considering that everyone has been testing down at Albacete in Spain, it was very encouraging for us. Our car still had standard brakes (we can put more hi-tech brakes on that meet the ETCC regulations, like Seat have) so I feel I would have lost some time under braking. We also had standard rear suspension (we have again a better rear suspension to come from Italy very soon) and also our engine was only in 2002 spec, and we have the new 2004 spec engine on its way from Italy which we know will be loads better.

So I ended up 12th overall, only 1.2secs behind 1st place James Thompson in the works Vauxhall. Considering that the BTCC machines have masssive brakes compared to ETCC spec cars, and more BHP, better suspension, well, to be this close on our first time out I must say that we are all pleased about where we are right now for the season ahead.

At the race meetings the officials will add more weight ballast to BTCC spec cars and they plan to shed another 30KG from our ETCC spec cars in order to equalise the perfomance difference of both cars, so that's good news again for me. Looking forward to getting out there and letting the Alfa do its thing!
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

Just been looking at the TopGear BTCC site (http://www.topgear.com/content/featu.../btcc_2004/04/ ) and one of their correspondants wrote:

"There are strong rumours that BMW and Alfa Romeo will be returning with works teams in 2005, plus Gow has hinted at a 'surprise entry' later this season. He's not letting on what, only saying it would be another manufacturer-backed team."

Anybody heard anything more on this?

Last edited by garyo; 10-04-04 at 02:13.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

More from Breeze on http://www.tocatour.co.uk/ :

Carl Breeze believes his Alfa Romeo’s prodigious straightline speed can carry it to a home victory for Team Sureterm in one of the Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship’s opening three rounds at Thruxton on 11 April.

In Donington Park’s recent official BTCC test, Breeze’s European Touring Car-spec Alfa Romeo 156 was fastest through one of the speed traps. And with more updates – including a 2004-spec engine, rear suspension, transmission and braking system still to come for Thruxton – Breeze is sure the Alfa will be well-suited to the Hampshire circuit, the fastest on the BTCC calendar.

If Breeze wins, he will become the first driver to give Italian manufacturer Alfa a race victory in the BTCC since its official team won the title in 1994. It would also mark the first outright BTCC race victory for the Thruxton-based Sureterm squad.

Breeze, aged 24, told tocatour.com: “The only thing the BTCC cars, like the Astras and Hondas, can do better is brake later. At Thruxton, there are only two corners you need to brake – the Complex and the Chicane. As soon as the Alfa has braked for the Complex, I think we’ll be waving ‘bye-bye’ to a lot of people.

“We know the engine is very strong and the handling is at least the equal of the Astra I drove last year. It should be excellent around the fast twists at the back, which is where you gain a lot of time. It could be a game of cat and mouse with the BTC cars, with them closing up under braking and us getting away on the faster stuff.”

Breeze says a season and a half after switching to Touring Cars from a successful single-seater career (he was Formula Renault UK champion in 2001), he is capable of giving the BTCC’s established star names a run for their money.

“They might have more experience, but I’ve got the racecraft and know how to handle pressure. I’ve won in everything I’ve raced in before and against some serious competition,” said Breeze.

“I’m sure if I’m leading into the chicane at Thruxton on the last lap and I’ve got a Muller or a Neal trying to get past, I’ll suddenly find the Alfa can brake just that little bit later!

“I’m wearing the Alfa badge with a lot of pride and passion. Knowing it’s there on the bonnet is very exciting. ‘Quietly confident’ is perhaps the best phrase to use.”
(Post Link) post #24 of 38 Old 10-04-04 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Ooops, not sure he intended to qualify as far down as that, lets hope he will be pumped up for the race though?
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Let's hope so, maybe the lack of BMs to beat put him off a little.
I'll be watching tomorrow, come on Carl, you can do it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
cars , touring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page