Jenson Button to get an MBE........ - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 137 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Jenson Button to get an MBE........

I thought this was a joke, until I read in to it........

World F1 champion Jenson Button races off with an MBE in New Year's honours list - mirror.co.uk

I cannot believe he is being given this award after just ONE lucky season !!!!.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Saab 9-3 Aero.

That is unreal, if he wins the championship this season then maybe its up for debate about a MBE, but i agree not after 1 world championship.

If it only takes 1 championship where is Hamiltons, after all Hamilton has more points, podiums, and race victorys in 3 years then Button has in his whole F1 career, the only thing Button has done better then Hamilton is burn more fuel.
(Post Link) post #3 of 137 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Totally agree with you there Mikeyjae, just where is Hamiltons MBE as well !!!!........
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
roy!,.........are you one of his ex's who is pretending to be a bloke so you can slag him off!?

Come now! he is WC, how many UK WC do not get awarded an MBE
(Post Link) post #5 of 137 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
roy!,.........are you one of his ex's who is pretending to be a bloke so you can slag him off!?

Come now! he is WC, how many UK WC do not get awarded an MBE
Yes, W.C. for a month or 2, and gets an MBE, probably because he didn't win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, maybe !!!!!......

Sorry, I think it really is a joke award, as there are SO many more deserving people out there, that actually DO need to be honoured !!!!......

BTW....It was a messy divorce !!!!!.......
AO Member

County: Kent
Anyone can apply the application form can be found on the back of your kellogs cornflakes box.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjae View Post
That is unreal, if he wins the championship this season then maybe its up for debate about a MBE, but i agree not after 1 world championship.

If it only takes 1 championship where is Hamiltons, after all Hamilton has more points, podiums, and race victorys in 3 years then Button has in his whole F1 career, the only thing Button has done better then Hamilton is burn more fuel.
A bit harsh Mikey and n13roy. Maybe Hamilton deserves recognition too, maybe neither after just one title, but Button scored as many wins (IIRC) in his championship season as Hamilton who only just scraped to victory on the last bend of the last race in a massively superior car to the rest of the grid in both technology and budget.

By comparison, Button was on a shoestring budget in a team that had been so poor its owner bailed before the season started and they had to chop in an engine that hadn't even been designed for the chassis! A lucky marriage perhaps.

Button has spent virtually all his career in the "wrong" team whereas the talented Mr Lewis -despite his originally impecunious family background - has led a racing silver spoon existence by comparison. With that kind of grooming and support we might ask how he threw away his first gilt-edged opportunity to take a title?

So, in a nutshell, you're talking utter bollux mates.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Lewis has an MBE too by the way
(Post Link) post #9 of 137 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

So you REALLY think Jenson Button deserves an MBE then Jim !!!!!!......

That is utter Borrocks in my opinion .........
AO Platinum Member

I didn't know LH had one, so why not?

I don't get the disparaging attitude to Button TBH. He's done very well this season and in many ways his performances outshine what the golden boy did. I always want a British driver to well, especially if he's English, and this year the boy done good (as they say).

He'll struggle in Hamilton's team with a car set up to suit Lewis's more ragged/aggressive driving style but it took balls to accept the challenge. I don't think he comes across as anything like as cold and corporate as Lewis and many of the other F1 clones either.
(Post Link) post #11 of 137 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

I don't think my posting, was to argue about Button and Hamilton actually, but how on earth Jenson Button deseves an award like the MBE......

He has done NOTHING at all in 10 Years of Formula 1, then flukes a Drivers Championship, by being in the right Car at the right time ( remember it was HONDA, and well developed ) this Year, and now he gets an MBE !!!!....

I just don't get it !!!!!.......
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Button has spent virtually all his career in the "wrong" team
And he himself must take some of the blame for that.

The best drivers have a knack of getting themselves in the best at the right team, at the right time.

Jenson lucked into the best car in 2009, and did a solid job with it. Credit to him for that, but prior to 2009 his off track dealings had damaged his F1 chances severely.

AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by n13roy View Post
I don't think my posting, was to argue about Button and Hamilton actually, but how on earth Jenson Button deseves an award like the MBE......

He has done NOTHING at all in 10 Years of Formula 1, then flukes a Drivers Championship, by being in the right Car at the right time ( remember it was HONDA, and well developed ) this Year, and now he gets an MBE !!!!....

I just don't get it !!!!!.......
Roy, I think you're being very harsh on JB. How can you say it was a Honda and well-developed? The Honda was an absolute dog in 2008, not scoring any points at all as far as I can recall. Yes, he was in the right team in 2009 and took full advantage of it. Why is that wrong? It is what one would expect any half-decent driver to do. I salute him for receiving the MBE!
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb View Post
The Honda was an absolute dog in 2008, not scoring any points at all as far as I can recall.

The reason why it didn't score any points was because Honda gave up on the 2008 car very early in the season, and ploughed developepment time and money into the 2009 car for most of the 2008 season.

(Post Link) post #15 of 137 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb View Post
Roy, I think you're being very harsh on JB. How can you say it was a Honda and well-developed? The Honda was an absolute dog in 2008, not scoring any points at all as far as I can recall. Yes, he was in the right team in 2009 and took full advantage of it. Why is that wrong? It is what one would expect any half-decent driver to do. I salute him for receiving the MBE!
I don't think I'm being harsh at all on J.B.really. I just KNOW that the Brawn had a massive jump start on everyone else in 2009, and it was due to the development of the Honda Team ( remember that is what Brawn bought... the TEAM ) and to actually give Jenson Button praise for this, is wrong, in my opinion......

If it wasn't for Ross Brawn, there wouldn't have even BEEN a team for Button to drive for this Year. If anybody deserved an MBE for achievement it should be Ross Brawn.......

Just my opinion, of course........
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
And he himself must take some of the blame for that.
True but does that diminish his achievement this year? No.

Quote:
The best drivers have a knack of getting themselves in the best at the right team, at the right time.
Ergo all champions are lucky or Button is now a great driver. Hamilton has been lucky to be in the pre-eminent team all his career and has managed to toss away a title. Does that mean he's not that good because he should have had at least two of three by now or he was just lucky to be in a good car in 2008? No.

Quote:
Jenson lucked into the best car in 2009
Arguably the best car for the first half of 09. It is probably true that the Red Bull was the better car in the second half and the McLaren was possibly second best in the last third of teh season as Brawn fell away.

Brawn didn't have the resources to play with and the initial balance with the Mercedes engine was a bit of luck for the engineers too so it wasn't as much developed as the season progressed. Surely that suggests that Button had something about him to maintain that lead to the end? Not dumb luck IMHO.
HSTDriver

Quote:
True but does that diminish his achievement this year? No.

Ergo all champions are lucky or Button is now a great driver. Hamilton has been lucky to be in the pre-eminent team all his career and has managed to toss away a title. Does that mean he's not that good because he should have had at least two of three by now or he was just lucky to be in a good car in 2008? No.

Arguably the best car for the first half of 09. It is probably true that the Red Bull was the better car in the second half and the McLaren was possibly second best in the last third of teh season as Brawn fell away.

Brawn didn't have the resources to play with and the initial balance with the Mercedes engine was a bit of luck for the engineers too so it wasn't as much developed as the season progressed. Surely that suggests that Button had something about him to maintain that lead to the end? Not dumb luck IMHO.
Martin Brundle mantioned many times throughout the season how lucky Jenson was on the days when he was scoring low, or getting DNF's. The points were beign spread around the rest of the front runners, rather than just one or two rivals as would be the 'norm'

There is luck in any title win, of course and as I've said before, Jenson won the title and deserves credit for it. But his F1 career has not been a stellar one, he was largely outscored by his teammates until he joined BAR. And has been a pretty consistant midfield runner until this year.

(Post Link) post #18 of 137 Old 21-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Bit like being 6-0 up at half time in a football match really, and then eventually winning 7-6, is how I saw Buttons 2009 season, and I still don't think he deserved the W.C. title.......or an M.B.E.either !!!!!......
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13roy View Post
Bit like being 6-0 up at half time in a football match really, and then eventually winning 7-6, is how I saw Buttons 2009 season, and I still don't think he deserved the W.C. title.......or an M.B.E.either !!!!!......
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. That's the nice thing about this forum I still don't believe that it was entirely down to Honda's "development" of the car that led to the success of the Brawn team (not just Ross Brawn) in 2009.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Martin Brundle mantioned many times throughout the season how lucky Jenson was on the days when he was scoring low, or getting DNF's. The points were beign spread around the rest of the front runners, rather than just one or two rivals as would be the 'norm'

There is luck in any title win, of course and as I've said before, Jenson won the title and deserves credit for it. But his F1 career has not been a stellar one, he was largely outscored by his teammates until he joined BAR. And has been a pretty consistant midfield runner until this year.
Interesting first contention. If points are being spread around it is easy to make as convincing a case for suggesting that more teams were equally competitive this year than is the norm when either a Ferrari or McLaren runs away with it because they are so hugely superior to everyone else. Therefore you need more skill, as well as luck, to beat more challengers as the luckier drivers in other season's can afford to drop points other than to the only main rival.

In which case it is fair to say that almost all titles won by drivers of said teams over the last couple of decades of dominance are worth a bit less than this year's?

Your second observation is quite correct and is a matter of fact. Inevitable if you don't get a Ferrari or a McLaren drive but it's a shame that in your eyes it condemns a driver to be a talentless also-ran and damns him as just "lucky" when he beats the establishment fair and square over a season of 17 races. Lucky is a single pole position, one FTD, or a single win in a rain-soaked race of attrition. It doesn't hold up over a full season.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Lucky is a single pole position, one FTD, or a single win in a rain-soaked race of attrition. It doesn't hold up over a full season.
The results when Jenson was off the pace were undeniably a huge stroke of luck for him. Deny it if you like, but I prefer to agree with someone like Brundle

A driver who has never threatened to put together a title challenge. A driver who has never really outshone a teammate. A driver who appears to some weekends just not have his head on straight. A driver who (certainly early in his career) appeared to prefer the jet set lifestyle to actually getting on with his job. A driver who was only a few days or weeks away from not even having a race for 2009.

And the Brawn lands in his lap. More because of the fact that he was the Honda driver, than the fact that Ross Brawn actually wanted him. (lets be honest, Brawn never really seemed all that bothered once the talk of Jenson leaving the team sprang up, did he)

Throw in the confusion over the read diffusers (THAT is a huge element in Jensons winning the title, it gave him a near unassailible lead in the championship) and you've got a huge slice of luck.

Button did the job on the track. He was massively lucky to be gifted the chance to do so, when his F1 career was about to go down the pan.

AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
So! if thats the case how come Rubens didn't win then?

PS: You make your own luck!
PPS: This time last year he had his P45. "Victory from the jaws of defeat"

Last edited by EauRouge; 22-12-09 at 20:07. Reason: PPS:
AO Silver Member

Quote:
The results when Jenson was off the pace were undeniably a huge stroke of luck for him. Deny it if you like, but I prefer to agree with someone like Brundle
And that's because Brundle was such a hugely successful Formula 1 driver?
AO Gold Member

County: -
They are handed out like confetti.
Win a Cricket Series against Australia such as in 2005 and the MBE's flowed

Michael Vaughan (c) (Yorkshire) OBE
Geraint Jones (wk) (Kent) MBE
Ian Bell (Warwickshire) MBE
Paul Collingwooda, b (Durham) MBE
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire) MBE
Ashley Giles (Warwickshire) MBE
Steve Harmison (Durham) MBE
Matthew Hoggard (Yorkshire) MBE
Simon Jones (Glamorgan) MBE
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire) MBE
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex) MBE
Marcus Trescothick (Somerset) MBE
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
They are handed out like confetti.
Win a Cricket Series against Australia such as in 2005 and the MBE's flowed

Michael Vaughan (c) (Yorkshire) OBE
Geraint Jones (wk) (Kent) MBE
Ian Bell (Warwickshire) MBE
Paul Collingwooda, b (Durham) MBE
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire) MBE
Ashley Giles (Warwickshire) MBE
Steve Harmison (Durham) MBE
Matthew Hoggard (Yorkshire) MBE
Simon Jones (Glamorgan) MBE
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire) MBE
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex) MBE
Marcus Trescothick (Somerset) MBE
to be fair to the cricketers, its was the 1st ashes win for england since 1989

lewis's mbe was more deserved than buttons though, as lewis was the 1st british winner since Damon Hill in 96. button also lost the plot in the middle of the season, where lewis kept his head, despite the team trying there best (not intentionally) to screw his championship near the end

do agree that they are handed out to readily though

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
button , jenson , mbe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page