Ferrari versus AC Cobra. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

A car

Ferrari versus AC Cobra.

Did any else see the documentary re the above on BBC4 last week. It was by far quite the best motoring documentary I have ever seen. What a shame that poor old Teddy Teabag came to such a sticky end. Still, that'll be the way he wanted to go !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

Was that the one documenting the AC LeMans cars and the battle between the brands.
Great programme. Saw it a while back.

Shelby was a bit like "Build a car that will beat Ferrari at Le Man....... (to coin Mr Clarksons expression) How hard can it be?!"

Unlike Clarkson, May and Hamster.... he did it, and did it well.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
Was that the one documenting the AC LeMans cars and the battle between the brands.
Great programme. Saw it a while back.

Shelby was a bit like "Build a car that will beat Ferrari at Le Man....... (to coin Mr Clarksons expression) How hard can it be?!"

Unlike Clarkson, May and Hamster.... he did it, and did it well.
I think that you are right. Some of the most recent material contributed to the programme did seem a bit dated, but of course most of the material was filmed 40 odd years ago. That didn't stop it being a great programme though. I had no idea that the Americans were so keen on sportscar racing. Mind you, I did race an "E" Type Jaguar myself quite a few years ago, and was motivated to do so by the success of Bob Tullius's "Quaker State" team.
HSTDriver

Balls. Missed it. Sounds like my cup of tea (as anything from Le Mans, particularly that era, is.)

The GT40 is only second to the Porsche 917 in my all time favorite endurance racers.

(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Balls. Missed it. Sounds like my cup of tea (as anything from Le Mans, particularly that era, is.)

The GT40 is only second to the Porsche 917 in my all time favorite endurance racers.
Whilst the documentary certainly covered the Le Mans race and the period you refer to, little, if any, time was devoted to the two cars you refer to. It was really mainly about Carroll Shelby (and what is wrong with that ! ), and how his Cobras came up against the Ferrari 250 SWB's. Bloody good stuff - it's a shame that you missed it ! Fortunately, for me, it did not neglect Aston Martins either.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelvio View Post
Whilst the documentary certainly covered the Le Mans race and the period you refer to, little, if any, time was devoted to the two cars you refer to. It was really mainly about Carroll Shelby (and what is wrong with that ! ), and how his Cobras came up against the Ferrari 250 SWB's. Bloody good stuff - it's a shame that you missed it ! Fortunately, for me, it did not neglect Aston Martins either.
I'm off to iplayer to hunt it down A wonderful era of racing

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Like most of the coverage of the Cobra-Ferrari wars that has emerged since then, the American version of events has increasingly differed from reality over time. No-one doubts the magnificence of the Cobras, but when exaggeration and embelishment are used to embellish the facts, the historical accuracy suffers and becomes tiresome. For example, Shelby always played-down the contribution of AC in England when talking of the Cobra.
The 'anihilation' of Ferrari at Le Mans (in 1964 with the 'Daytona' Coupes) was only against privately entered Ferraris; there were no factory-entered GT cars - Ferrari concentrating on their Sports racing cars, which actually finished first, second and third overall in that race. Two private Ferrari GTs were right behind the sole remaining Cobra at the finish, in fifth and sixth overall, while all the remaining Cobras had long since retired.
The previous year, when Ferrari did enter factory GT cars, they finished 1-2-3 in the GT class (the first of these actually finishing first overall), while fourth in the GT class was a BRITISH AC Cobra, entered by AC Cars and driven by two British drivers.
Just a few facts that I've never seen mentioned in any subsequent American coverage of the so-called Cobra-Ferrari wars.
And while I'm having my rant................One of the films I've seen of 1964, showed the Ferrari 330P of Pedro Rodgriguez, pulling into the pits to retire, as the commentary stated "The Daytonas battled on as the Ferrari challenge wilted under the pressure". I would have thought the Shelby team should have known that their Daytonas were NOT racing against the Ferrari prototypes - the ones that finished 1-2-3 overall?
A case of never letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

"The best way to make a small fortune out of motor racing............is to spend a large fortune" Briggs Cunningham.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
cobra , ferrari , versus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page