The Stig - Not! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 45 Old 22-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Skoda Rapid

Madness The Stig - Not!

Is it just me, but all this stuff about Schumacker being the stig seems to have been taken very seriously by the papers and internet forums?

Surely it is obvious that he was only there to drive that very expensive Ferrari - probably the only reason they allowed it to be driven on the program.

Or am I being stupid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Darren156

Nah you are right,

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
Nah you are right,
What he said !
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
My reaction was that he's obviously there as a condition of the Ferrari being allowed around the track, and TG are milking it. He didn't really have anything interesting to say either.
AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent68 View Post
Is it just me, but all this stuff about Schumacker being the stig seems to have been taken very seriously by the papers and internet forums?

Surely it is obvious that he was only there to drive that very expensive Ferrari - probably the only reason they allowed it to be driven on the program.

Or am I being stupid?

No, you aren't being stupid.

But some people will believe anything.

Many years ago, TG did a spoof feature about an Astramax Van and a Lotus, drag racing on the track. The Astra 'won' the race, complete with builder driving and a copy of The Sun, on the dashboard. At work the following day, on of the lads on the shop floor was enthusiastically telling everyone how fast Astra vans are, as one had just wasted a Lotus on Top Gear. I refer you to paragraph 2!
AO Member

Agreed, great to have schumacher on there driving, but the Stig thing was a bit sad. It reminds me of the Stig is dead stunt.

Yes, it would've been great if Schumacher was the Stig, but that doesn't mean that pretending he's the Stig is the next best thing.

Sometimes I'm amazed that such a witty guy (clarkson) can come up with, or at least go along with such witless stuff.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbo View Post
My reaction was that he's obviously there as a condition of the Ferrari being allowed around the track, and TG are milking it. He didn't really have anything interesting to say either.
Quite agree!
AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

I think I'm right in saying the Fxx was his own car.
All the rest are red, with his being the only black one.
It was a good spectacle having him on but like you said, he didnt have that much to say.

I like the fact that no one knows for sure who the Stig is on any given day. Like a sad sod, I have searched a few times and you get all the usual guesses, but I still think the anonimity is a bitta fun.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 763
County: Cumbria

Member car:

Giulietta QV LE

The credits at the end gave the game away.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Dont know why everyone is so concerned who the stig is. For one thing hes not going to be as good as Schumacher. He probably some poor out of work racing driver that now has a gig. Im sure they have different drivers. Maybe there just hired casually. Must be alot of racing drivers out there that need a job.
(Post Link) post #11 of 45 Old 22-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Skoda Rapid

Thanks for comments guys, I was beginning to doubt my own sanity. I've had people at work talking about it all day and they seriously believed it. Now I can act silently smug for the rest of the day!
AO Member

Member car:

02 Alfa 156 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
I think I'm right in saying the Fxx was his own car.
All the rest are red, with his being the only black one.
It was a good spectacle having him on but like you said, he didnt have that much to say.

I like the fact that no one knows for sure who the Stig is on any given day. Like a sad sod, I have searched a few times and you get all the usual guesses, but I still think the anonimity is a bitta fun.
I think it was Schmacher's car. I am reliably informed by a Ferrari geek that Schumacher's Fxx was the last to be made, is the only one that is black with no white stripe and has matte black exhaust pipes.
Regional Representative
For United Arab Emirates - AO-UAE

County: Dubayy
And another thing......what a wasted opportunity. Clarkson's 'interview', for the want of a better word was shocking, focusing mainly on his own egotistical self, trying to make clever comments.

How about asking about the FXX instead of who the bad F1 drivers are or about Ducks and Curry's........I used to really like him years ago, but he's only interested in making himself look clever.

Rant over
Regional Representative

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano View Post
And another thing......what a wasted opportunity. Clarkson's 'interview', for the want of a better word was shocking, focusing mainly on his own egotistical self, trying to make clever comments.

How about asking about the FXX instead of who the bad F1 drivers are or about Ducks and Curry's........I used to really like him years ago, but he's only interested in making himself look clever.
Seriously, I can't think of a duller interview than hearing about the FXX.

Is there a more sterile, less interesting car in the world? I'm not sure there is

Regional Representative

Well, FXX or no FXX, Clarkson could have certainly asked more interesting and relevant questions than the ones he did ask......a wasted opportunity, I thought the show was about cars, not who can make a car float in the sea or how to wreck a pickup truck etc.......
AO Member

Hey come on it's entertainment i thought it was hilarous, MS as the 'Stig'. The Fxx was amazingly fast and but ugly (oh dear i gonna get panned for that one lol).
It was nice to see Mr Clarkson work his n*ts off on that wonderful Loco.....lol
0of0

My oldest Son came down last night with a smug look on His face stating "I know who the Stig is" - it's all over the forums <-- plank!

AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
Dont know why everyone is so concerned who the stig is. For one thing hes not going to be as good as Schumacher. He probably some poor out of work racing driver that now has a gig. Im sure they have different drivers. Maybe there just hired casually. Must be alot of racing drivers out there that need a job.
Why wouldn't they be as good as Schumacher?

Yes... Schumacher was World champ Seventy Squillion times, but don't forget that was in the pampered world of F1.

Put him in a Touring car / Rally car and I'm sure some of them drivers would show him a trick or two on the track... Look what happened to Mansell.

Each to their own discipline I reckon.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pte1643 View Post
Why wouldn't they be as good as Schumacher?

Yes... Schumacher was World champ Seventy Squillion times, but don't forget that was in the pampered world of F1.

Put him in a Touring car / Rally car and I'm sure some of them drivers would show him a trick or two on the track... Look what happened to Mansell.

Each to their own discipline I reckon.
Well you might be right but Shumacher is a better strategist for getting a complete team around him to win championships. But as a driver as you say he might be the same as every other racing driver.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

It was interesting to see Shumacher in the FXX. He looked so relaxed and almost entertained by the way the car behaved. Compared to the other Stig who looks so stressed out and working hard to try and get the best time out of the car.

Thats the sign of a great racing driver to get your heart rate right down as low as possible and be totally relaxed when going at 300 Km + or more !

Have a look at Senna or Shumacher in a normal car on you tube and they just look so relaxed its amazing.
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW GTA

It was great to see the FXX lap. What an exquisitely mad car. Did someone say uninteresting and sterile? I venture that a drive in that machine would be the very opposite of uninteresting and sterile... As for the man not having anything interesting to say, it was hardly his fault with that kind of "interview".

Anyway, it's great to have Top Gear back

DJ
--
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Is there a more sterile, less interesting car in the world? I'm not sure there is
Cheer up a bit mate..

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Cheer up a bit mate..

Ralf S.
Ralf S, defending Micheal S?....Interrrrrrresting.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! He's a good lad (even if a bit of a cheater )

But didn't he get the loudest cheer ever on TG? I was taken aback a bit... Brit' Public does like Big Schu' after all!

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
stig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page