Well done Button... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 07-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Conwy
Well done Button...

However, Car, Driver or a combination of both?

Well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Great car, Great driver

Drives similar to Prost. The original Mr Smooth
v6hughes

cracking car good driver,

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Acceptable driver - magnificent car.

Well done Ross.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Yep, Brawn Car, team and driver all working as one. Can't see any reason why Button shouldn't win the World Championship now.........
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Great driver who has finally got the car that has let him show just what he is made of.

Long may his bloody great run carry on
HSTDriver

Reasonably good driver in far and away the best machinery.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Reasonably good driver in far and away the best machinery.

Totally agree with that comment !!!!!!.......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutsy View Post
Great car, Great driver

Drives similar to Prost. The original Mr Smooth

That is exactly how I see it. The fact that Honda were useless last year, and the brilliant Ross Brawn has come along, to inspire everyone. Jensen can drive that car like no-one else, by being so smooth, he is less likely to make errors, and consequently saves the tyres, enabling him to outpace other drivers who have much lighter fuel loads.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyalfagtv View Post

That is exactly how I see it. The fact that Honda were useless last year, and the brilliant Ross Brawn has come along, to inspire everyone. Jensen can drive that car like no-one else, by being so smooth, he is less likely to make errors, and consequently saves the tyres, enabling him to outpace other drivers with much lighter fuel loads.
Honda were useless last year, whilst building this years car. Had Honda stayed in F1 the current Brawn would still have been just as fast, but it would still be carrying Honda badges.

AO Gold Member

County: -
Buttons smooth driving style has saved tyre wear (especially softs) and fuel where everyone else has struggled and thus helped in many circumstances so far this season, the car is great and worked very well this weekend too (excluding Friday :P)

AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

Fair comments on the car, Button and the boss. But you have to give some credit to the driver, when the team mate is consistantly further down the track on Fri, Sat and especially Sunday, in what is at the end of the day, the same hardware.

F1 is a proper team sport, with the driver as the figurehead. Button and Brawn have done a good job of acknowledging that fact, and spread the honours through the whole pit crew.
HSTDriver

I don't understand Barichellos lack of pace over the last few years. Early in his career (and particularly when he was under Jackie Stewart) he was fantastically quick.

I actually think that his years as Schumachers no. 2 may have undermined him. I certainly expected him to be fighting evenly/beating Button when they teamed up.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf146 View Post
Not necessarily true - it would have had the Honda lump in it, rather then the Merc.
They should try a honda lump in Hamiltons car. from a civic, or a prairie
AO Gold Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
They should try a honda lump in Hamiltons car. from a civic, or a prairie
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

Rubens proved how quick he was at Ferrari, having to give way to Schumacker on numerous occasions. Neither he or Jensen were quick or reliable in the Honda.
Both Jensen and Rubens have been quick in the Brawn.
Put these facts into the computer, and you can safely say that they have a great car, but most importantly they are no mugs when it comes to driving.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf146 View Post
Not necessarily true - it would have had the Honda lump in it, rather then the Merc.
So it would have been even quicker

AO Silver Member

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

As a team, Bran do tend to be closer together in Qualy and come race day than other teams.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I don't understand Barichellos lack of pace over the last few years. Early in his career (and particularly when he was under Jackie Stewart) he was fantastically quick.

I actually think that his years as Schumachers no. 2 may have undermined him. I certainly expected him to be fighting evenly/beating Button when they teamed up.
Then maybe he hasn't got a lack of pace?

Higher up you've claimed that Jeson is only a 'fairly good' driver, but he's the only one who can really be directly compared to Barrichello. Surely the more sensible way to put together your observations and assumptions would be that Barrichello is a fast driver - but Button is faster still?

Is it really so hard for the British public to ever give credit to their sporting heroes achievements?

Put it this way: If someone says to you "Driver x has proven he is very quick. Driver y is quicker. Therefore Driver x is actually pretty slow." would you think their logic was suspect?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.

Last edited by bazza; 08-06-09 at 09:19.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

I would love to see DC's times in Buttons car. Even in the best hardware of its time, he always played 2nd fiddle. I like DC but he will always be an "also ran" in my mind.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Then maybe he hasn't got a lack of pace?

Higher up you've claimed that Jeson is only a 'fairly good' driver, but he's the only one who can really be directly compared to Barrichello. Surely the more sensible way to put together your observations and assumptions would be that Barrichello is a fast driver - but Button is faster still?

Is it really so hard for the British public to ever give credit to their sporting heroes acheivements?
No, Rubens in his early career was super fast, no doubt about that. Jensons early career led him to struggle against temmates, and generally perform in a very average manner, except occasional strong showings.

The first teammate that Jenson dominated was a very lacklustre and underperforming Jacques Villeneuve, whilst Rubens was struggling albeit against a 7 time world champion, but occasionally showing glimpses of his old pace.

Put short, neither driver has been consistantly fast in their career, but both have shown instances of strong pace early on. Rubens showed it in a Stewart Ford, and Button showed it in the Williams. Rubens again showed it occasionally at Ferrari, and Jenson again showed it in the one strong year BAR had in 2004.

Putting all that evidence together one would expect a strong battle between the two drivers.

Both at late points in their careers, both given one last chance to show what they're made of. And Button is taking advantage of that chance and performing at probably the highest level of his career. Rubens appears not to be performing to the highest level of his career. Why that is, I have no idea. As I said, I don't tihnk his years at Ferrari really helped him. He seems less hungry than he was prior to joining Ferrari.

And please don't give me that BS about Brits knocking sporting achievements. I was one of the people sticking up for Hamilton for the last couple of years, no matter how much everyone (including a large number of British people on here) got on his back.

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Great car, great driver. Likeable chap, although he has picked up that annoying international habit of tagging "for sure" at the end of a sentance, for sure.

I'd like to know where we would be if the FIA had introduced the new scoring system this year. 6 wins out of 7 races. He would only need to win 3 more races to have the championship won halfway through the season!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

The Brawn is by far the best car out there in all conditions/tracks. Button is doing
everything that he needs to do - he is putting weekends together regardless of track
types and conditions. He is ultra consistent, solid/ controlled pace on heavier tanks,
super fast when he needs to be (at specific times during a race), fantastic in qualifying
and very focused. Ross Brawn is on top of his game(tremendous amount of experience with ferrari).

And here is the but - it is too easy for Brawn, there is virtually no opposition, they
are definitely not pushed at all(button in particular). The Brawn is simply too strong
in everything(since day one - they were spanking everyone in pre-season testing).
We are talking about: around 15 months, 400+ gazillion dollars, 3-4 wind tunnels put
into the 09 season. Since Barichello is simply not good enough, the only reasonable
amount of competitiveness comes from RedBull. The RB5 is a fantastic car as well but
it has weaknesses. It's not strong everywhere, it doesn't do well enough on supersofts
and heavier fuel, VEttel is patchy and the brawn always has a bit more speed on tap when they need it.

Last edited by PeterWolf; 08-06-09 at 09:30.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

2.0TS 156 SW

A car far and above anything else on the grid.
A decent driver.

As for outpacing Rubens, I just think Button's style suits the car better and he is able to get more out of it.
Does that make him a better driver overall?

I'm sure he doesn't really care as long as he keeps winning.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
button

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page