Lewis Hamilton,Backlash, Sport's Personality ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 56 Old 05-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

Lewis Hamilton,Backlash, Sport's Personality ?

It's that time of year for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
Lot's of worthy candidates i.e Joe Calazaghe, The Olympic winner's ..and Lewis Hamilton.
But i have read and discussed with freind's about the Hamilton Backlash where people are saying he only won due to his car etc.
What do you think, Is he a worthy World Champion or a driver cosseted all the way through his career by Uncle Ron Dennis who had the best car ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Lewis Hamilton,Backlash, Sport's Personality ?

Opinion will be 50/50 on this - we have a lot of British support but also Italian sympathisers. I'm all behind Lewis, yes he has been looked after by uncle Ron, but only because he deserved it. Time and time again the Ferrari proved it was the fastest car in '08 but some team **** ups, lacklustre performances from both drivers in the middle of the season and Kimi at the end, cost them the title. Lewis showed how good he was by consistently outpacing his teammate, the only measure that really counts, and keeping his head when it mattered unlike last season. A deserving winner. Sports personality? I don't follow other sports well enough to judge but sure Lewis has reached the most people worldwide.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

From what I have seen of him, he seems to have more personality than previous winners - although it is usually judged on achievements which is not what the programme is called
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Chris Hoy should win - at least in his case (and many in many others) the win was down to him and him alone.

But Hamilton will win.
Dibby

Combination of both, F1 is more than just the car or just the driver. McLaren (who are more than just Ron Dennis) have put together a good package and Lewis put it to good use. As a team they all deserve the championship on the balance of probabilities.

Pretty sure you could give me a car loaded with cheating goodies and I still wouldn't get close to lap times of the rest of the field. Winning a championship is more than just sticking an average Joe in the best car.

AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

An Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Chris Hoy should win - at least in his case (and many in many others) the win was down to him and him alone.

But Hamilton will win.
So Chris Hoy set up his own bike? Arranged his own training regime? Chose his own diet? Developed his own strategy? All on his own - I don't think so....
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Personally, I'd much rather one of our Olympic champions win it, but I think the media aura surrounding Hamilton means he's a dead cert.
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

But Hamilton will win.
Could not agree more with you Fraser.

Dibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75twinsparky View Post
So Chris Hoy set up his own bike? Arranged his own training regime? Chose his own diet? Developed his own strategy? All on his own - I don't think so....
Well said

... he must also have designed all the parts himself, set up his own wind tunnel for hours of honing his aerodynamic stance down to the way he holds his fingers on the bars, developed all the parts himself to be as light and aerodynamic as possible, developed those super-thin skinsuits, helmet and visor.

No-one wins a world-class sporting event by themselves.

AO Silver Member

The Ferrari was the best car. Look at the number of points, fastest laps and wins.

The Olympians votes will be spread because there are so many of them, It will ether be Calazaghe or Hamilton.
HSTDriver

I wonder why it's taken Calzaghe 10 years to get this recognition?

It was obvious that he was a special talent from his very first fights

AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Saab 9-3 Aero.

To your question is hamilton a good driver, he is a excellent driver, anyone remember top gear when he went around the track .3 of a sec slower then the stig, and hamilton done it in the rain. Yes he has a great car but his 2 years in F1 have been truley remarkable.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjae View Post
To your question is hamilton a good driver, he is a excellent driver, anyone remember top gear when he went around the track .3 of a sec slower then the stig, and hamilton done it in the rain. Yes he has a great car but his 2 years in F1 have been truley remarkable.
Agreed, if you take the points combined over the last 2 seasons, Hamilton has been the top driver, better than Alonso and both Ferrari drivers.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Combination of both, F1 is more than just the car or just the driver. McLaren (who are more than just Ron Dennis) have put together a good package and Lewis put it to good use. As a team they all deserve the championship on the balance of probabilities.
Pretty sure you could give me a car loaded with cheating goodies and I still wouldn't get close to lap times of the rest of the field. Winning a championship is more than just sticking an average Joe in the best car.
What He Said !!
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Saying any F1 driver only won because they had the best car is a bit like saying a top footballer only scores more goals because he has the best football boots. IMO Hamilton is only one part of the process at McClaren and he won the championship because he did his part well and consistently as did the 300+ people working behind him making sure he had the best possible platform to go out and win the points. When I think of sports personality i don't necessarily think of who has done the best, that's what the sports trophies and championships are there for, but who has really stood out as a personality. What I like about Lewis is how he conducts himself, how he works hard to perfect his skill, how he had us all glued to the telly right up to the final turn on the final lap of the final race. That amazing race at Silverstone in the wet. Chris Hoy and Joe Calzaghe are also both fantastic sportsmen worthy of the title for many of the same reasons but I think this year, Lewis gets my vote. Just.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I wonder why it's taken Calzaghe 10 years to get this recognition?

It was obvious that he was a special talent from his very first fights
Probably 'cos he's Welsh.
Dibby

Why I orta!

Being Welsh and getting thumped in the head for a living doesn't do much for a man's personality

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison - a F1 team with at least 500 people (Honda have started the redundancy procedure for 700) and any Olympian - the cyclists, for example had a TOTAL team of 27. Competitors plus support staff.
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Calzaghe should win it! Joint best boxer ever, possibly soon to be best ever! Took on the best, beat the best!
Hamilton the best ever? Nowhere near!
Both Ferrari drivers mistake prone, Alonso crap car! Who else had a chance! Hamilton the best of 4 drivers who had a chance.
Yeah, he got that 5th place fair and square didn't he?:rolleyes
And a british sports personality of the year who doesn't even live here!
What a great message that sends!
Should be given it because how he conducts himself?
Whats wrong with the way Calzaghe conducts himself?
Joe gets my vote!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

But to be fair Hamilton's career isn't as advanced as Calzaghe's for example and he may yet go on to become the best ever !! Who knows
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
But to be fair Hamilton's career isn't as advanced as Calzaghe's for example and he may yet go on to become the best ever !! Who knows
To be the best you must beat the best!
Who else is there, Nomes?
In Mansell's day there was Piquet, Prost and Senna to name a few, all outstanding drivers!
Who has Hamilton to beat?
A Brazillian who is mistake prone, a Fin who sh*ts himself in the wet and a Spaniard who has an inferior car!
Better than these,maybe!
But Senna and Prost never!
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75twinsparky View Post
Quote:
Well said

... he must also have designed all the parts himself, set up his own wind tunnel for hours of honing his aerodynamic stance down to the way he holds his fingers on the bars, developed all the parts himself to be as light and aerodynamic as possible, developed those super-thin skinsuits, helmet and visor.

OOh, get you two!!

Alright, point taken, but still much more of a personal input than Hamilton in the sense that it's more down to him than the team. After all, there are no pit stops in the velodrome. Maybe McLaren should win the team award, but Hoy should win the individual award.

I wouldn't worry anyway - Hamilton's a stick-on for the win.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Well said

Usain Bolt! Would win in flipflops!

BEFORE his trainer took control he saw he was an unbelievable runner!
AO Member

Tough call, I'd like the Olympians to get the plaudits they deserve (it's only once every 4 years and they generally all make pittance and have to have handouts), so although I think Calzaghe really has done well, I'd like Hoy, Adlington or Romero to get it. Hamilton deserves to win due to his meteoric rise in a difficult sport, but I think he's only just started his career there'll be time in the future for him.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutsy View Post
Who else is there, Nomes?
Who has Hamilton to beat?
A Brazillian who is mistake prone, a Fin who sh*ts himself in the wet and a Spaniard who has an inferior car!

Well who knows who will come along during Hamilton's career to challenge him

Time will tell is the point I'm trying to make... all this speculation about him - either here or in the press - is just that at the moment isn't it !!

But the present fact is that he is F1 World Champion and that will no doubt get him the nod @ the awards won't it !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
backlash , hamilton , lewis , personality , sport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page