Honda to quit F1?. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 04-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 jts TI

Honda to quit F1?.

Have just heard on 5 Live it would appear Honda are putting their Formula 1 team up for sale-if no one comes forward with an offer then they will simply wind the outfit up and walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Re: Honda to quit F1?.

My friend who worked there until recently was telling me about this earlier - apparently everyone has been quite tense about it for a while.

I say it's time for David Richards to get his cheque book out
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 Lusso

My source on the inside says it's true. They're working through til March and if a buyer isn't found then they're gone.
Damien_C

Bit mad to see Honda leaving but to be honest F1 wasn't really ever very good for them only when they made engines.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Here you go

Both Jenson & Brawn are turncoats IMHO but I do feel sorry for the rest of the outfit and for "British" Motorsport
AlfaLincs

S.R. Why would you think Brawn and Button are turncoats?

Japanese manufacturers have a habit of saying one thing then doing the opposite in Motor Sport. You just have to look at how Honda mucked about with contracts, except Rossi told them where to go...quite rightly...when they tried to handcuff him.

F1 has become so dreadfully expensive though, its not that difficult to understand their move.

Alfalincs

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Easy answer AL

Brawn for saying if he ever went back to F1 after his sabbatical, only Ferrari would do as anything else would be second best & Button for the Williams / BAR debacle some years back.
AO Member

County: Aberdeen

Member car:

Nothing

Jenson was a waste of cash and has been for the last couple of years, fair enough the car hasn't been up to the job, but he was outclassed by Barrichello this year.
Living off claims of how next year will be different and this years car is awful, way to keep motivation up Button... Jenson is just an expensive journeyman, hopefully we don't see him wasting a drive with another team!

[/rant]

Bit rubbish to be losing another team though.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Easy answer AL

Brawn for saying if he ever went back to F1 after his sabbatical, only Ferrari would do as anything else would be second best & Button for the Williams / BAR debacle some years back.
Wasn't the Williams/BAR debacle all Williams fault? They let him drive for one season then loaned him out for a couple to Honda. When Williams wanted him back he wanted to stay at Honda so bought himself out of his own contract. Is that not right?
AlfaLincs

I tend to think that 'turncoat' is a bit strong for what you and I might call career calls. Yup maybe JB should have gone back to Williams, but I bet Honda buttered him up with a)cash b)promises...what would you do in his place? Don't see anything wrong with Brawn changing his mind, for all we know Ferrari may not have wanted him back.

I do think that JB has got bored and been allowed to become a Journeyman. So what will he do? Go to the US, Sports cars...testing..I dunno. I bet he is well hissed off.

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Personally, I've always thought Jenson Button was the most over-rated driver in Formula One for many Years now. Just the one win at Hungary a few Years ago does not make a winner to me. Shame if Honda do pull out, but I don't think its THAT much of a loss to the sport !!!!.......
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

I do think that JB has got bored and been allowed to become a Journeyman. So what will he do? Go to the US, Sports cars...testing..I dunno. I bet he is well hissed off.

AlfaLincs[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he can get a job SELLING Hondas, after all he's not very good at driving them !!!!!.......He.he.he.....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

we race, we learn, we quit(honda motto)

It's amazing what can NOT be achieved with enormous funds(Honda, toyota etc)
After doing everything possible to rebuild the team and propel it forward they quit the sport. It's a corporate decision, and, probably, the right decision.

Now....if renault quits and if williams goes under(since they are always fighting for new funds).....formula 1would be in trouble

Last edited by PeterWolf; 05-12-08 at 00:02.
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

An Alfa

If Honda don't find a buyer and fold, what's the chances of Toyota following them? Then Renault? As PeterWolf says, Williams are struggling (PH & FW aren't getting any younger either). It doesn't look good for Bernie, it could all collapse like a pack of cards around him...

As much as I'm dissappointed, its hard to justify the expense of running an F1 team at the moment, (£14m p.a. IIRC) would keep a lot of Japanese assembly workers in jobs.... It does seem daft though after all the work and expense they've done on the 2009 car and it may never turn a wheel... Now we know why Honda were so quiet on their driver choice for next year...

Come David (Richards) - splash the cash.....
0of0

The beeb are gonna be a tad annoyed as the F1 crumbles around them

AO Member

Member car:

An Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jon View Post
The beeb are gonna be a tad annoyed as the F1 crumbles around them
Yeah, hadn't thought of that, maybe in a few years ITV will look back and say 'Glad we got out when we did, we had the best years of F1'
0of0

Still, no ads forra couple of years eh?

AO Member

Member car:

An Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jon View Post
Still, no ads forra couple of years eh?
Yeah, but I seriously hope there's something to watch. They've got to do something to keep it at 20 cars, although under the old concorde agreement if there were less than 10 teams, the remaining teams could run 3 cars (JB in a McLaren?) Alonso, instead of winging and threatening to walk away could put up some of his millions...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

F1 is a microcosm of the real world? Those running and milking it have killed the silver goose?

We've had years of FIA interference that's not improved the racing. Rule changes always benefit the richest teams.

I am disappointed that Button and Rubens didn't speak up in testing and say 'this RA107 is a lemon'. Someone messed up there. Was it Wind Tunnel calibration?

Agreed it's a shame that Honda have to leave F1 like this after their successes with Williams and others in the past

It's time to batten down the hatches and get real?

Will it just be Japanese car makers and VW/Porsche left at the end?
AO Member

Member car:

An Alfa

Thinking about it, the FOTA are currently meeting with the FIA about cost cutting - this could be Honda trying to force the FIA's hand.... Remember when they dropped Sato the upset fans in Japan led to them setting up Super Aguri so an about turn shouldn't be ruled out, F1 is so full of politics and stuff you never know....

Last edited by 75twinsparky; 05-12-08 at 03:10.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

Odd that, I was just reading the Roebuck tranche in Motor Sport and he was talking about all the times in the past that Ferrari threatened to withdraw, and how in the mid 80s they threatened to go to CART if they pushed through rules to make the non turbos 8 cylinders.

It seems the turbo engine Ferrari developed for CART got rebadged as an Alfa engine, and was a bit ropey.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Honda confirms Formula 1 exit - F1 | ITV Sport

confirmed

@SR - turncoats is a bit strong. I know you are adiehard Ferrari fan, but surely you can't be critical of RB simply because he went to Honda after a period of 'retirement' and given great service to Ferrari. As for Jenson, Williams were as much to blame AFAIR!
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

One thing that none of the media pundits has mentioned is the fact that Honda haven't won anything during their current foray into F1. Add that to the threat of having to use someone elses engine in 2011, and it seems entirely logical and financially astute to call it a day. Can you imagine the Honda team running with (say) Mercedes engines in 2011? The only 'Honda' involvement, in that scenario, would be for footing the bill.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Never mind the sport, 700 jobs on the line !!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Potential buyers lined up:

Quote:
It is understood Brawn has already addressed the team staff to say that potential buyers have been lined up, and sources suggest moves are being made to secure a supply of customer Ferrari engines for 2009.

And Honda's marketing director David Butler has written a letter to the team's sponsors and partners confirming that moves are being made to find new owners.

In the letter, a copy of which has been seen by autosport.com, Butler wrote: "It is with regret that I am writing to inform you that at 13.30hrs Tokyo Time today (04.30hrs UK Time), Honda Motor Co. announced that they are pulling out from all Formula One activities at the end of the 2008 season.

"We are currently evaluating the future. The management team led by CEO Nick Fry and Team Principal Ross Brawn is deeply committed to securing the team’s future and we are engaged in seeking a new team owner given the high expectations we had for 2009 under new technical leadership in addition to the world class facilities and people here at Brackley. We will keep you advised of our progress."
Does anyone have th emobile phone of Roman Abramovich? or any russian/arab oligarch?

Last edited by PeterWolf; 05-12-08 at 08:51.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
honda , quit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page