Lewis Hamilton's popularity - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 129 Old 03-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

A car

Lewis Hamilton's popularity

During last week's Grand Prix the ITV commentator stated that mail sent to ITV indicated that Hamilton was not as popular as might have been imagined. I can understand that fans of opposing teams and drivers may not be amongst his greatest supporters, but is there any cause to beleive that there might be other reasons for his not being universally popular ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: Lewis Hamilton's popularity

It was the same with Schumacher. None of the really great drivers are very popular and it makes it worse that he almost won the championship straight off the bat.

Plus, he's grown pretty arrogant and self absorbed over this season. That's gonna put people off, although i'm still routing for him to win the title.
alfisti1

massa rules.
ferrari rules.

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaspeed View Post
It was the same with Schumacher. None of the really great drivers are very popular and it makes it worse that he almost won the championship straight off the bat.

Plus, he's grown pretty arrogant and self absorbed over this season. That's gonna put people off, although i'm still routing for him to win the title.
what about Senna I know that his death contributed to his myth however, but he was pretty popular during his time in F1.

but I agree with you about Hamilton, this season he has become a little more arrogant and self absorbed. Hope he wins it though
AO Silver Member

i think he is an arrogant little ****, but id rather he wins than anyone in a red car.
AO Member

County: Northumberland

He does come across as arrogant, but nowhere near as bad as his Dad. Gets on my wick seeing his arrogant expression when they film him from the pits
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg

Member car:

Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelvio View Post
During last week's Grand Prix the ITV commentator stated that mail sent to ITV indicated that Hamilton was not as popular as might have been imagined. I can understand that fans of opposing teams and drivers may not be amongst his greatest supporters, but is there any cause to beleive that there might be other reasons for his not being universally popular ?
Very easy that... besides the obvious as mentioned already. The fact that so many people compare him to the greats of F1 already and he has not even won a championship yet.

As Sebastian Vettel said in a recent interview, I can't find the exact words he used but basically they asked him about being compared to the great Schumacher, he replied with, "he believes that comparing himself or anyone else for that matter to somebody with records such as Schumacher is simply stupid" and I agree.

When he has won two F1 World championships, then we can compare him to the likes of Fernando Alonso. When and if he wins some more, then we can compare him to the people with similar records.

Take this for an example, Its like comparing Alfa to a Ferrari, we all love Alfa and wish and want it to be the best, we don't want to read bad things about them, only good. The fact is though, they can never be compared to a Ferrari. If however Alfa went off and built some serious machinery and won a couple of F1 championships, then its a little different...
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpat View Post
what about Senna I know that his death contributed to his myth however, but he was pretty popular during his time in F1.
Senna polarised opinion. Half loved him, half hated him.

But ALL respected him.

I'm not sure Lewis has reached that stage yet, and tbh I don't think Schumi did either.

AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Lewis Hamilton? Dont care if he wins or not!
Anyone who leaves the country the moment he starts earning good money so he doesn't have to pay tax, doesn't say British hero to me!
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

What on earth has any of this to do with Motor Racing

Jeez - surely it's mandatory for any talented young driver to be arrogant - SO WHAT!!!
Enjoy the racing please - not the tabloid rubbish
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutsy View Post
Lewis Hamilton? Dont care if he wins or not!
Anyone who leaves the country the moment he starts earning good money so he doesn't have to pay tax, doesn't say British hero to me!
Moving away sounds like common sense to me, best of luck to the lad

Darren156

I like him, he seems like a nice enough bloke and doesn't come across big headed like alot of people would. Fair play to the kid I say, keep up the good work.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Senna polarised opinion. Half loved him, half hated him.

But ALL respected him.

I'm not sure Lewis has reached that stage yet, and tbh I don't think Schumi did either.
yep, I'd go along with that. Who if any has the respect of the drivers at the moment At the moment there is no one clear 'leader'. It could have been Alonso but the Macca deal went sour...............
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Senna was a purer racer with a link to that time when great drivers were just that bit more "special" than the rest. Schumi was great but cynical and fell short of that heroic status bequeathed upon true greats IMHO.

Hamilton is very good, occasionally comes across quite well but sometimes does seem a little self-absorbed to say the least. That said, I hope he does well as he has that star quality that F1 needs.

A little humility, if only for the cameras, would go a long way for him with real race fans who already know he has the right stuff in his hands and feet.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Platinum Member

Hamilton is a racer too, perhaps after a title he will relax a little - I do like the chap and admre his drive and ambition
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Honda S2000/ 156

Wisdom and grace comes with age and we all can be arrogant! I think people dislike the fact that he's achieved so much in so little time.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

heikki Kovalainen is a very likeable fellow. Does anyone care? He hasn't done anything in the same MP4-23.

Lewis's father devoted his life to his son and his ultimate dream - to race in Formula 1. Now that Lewis has made it,naturally, his father would be arrogantly proud of his son's achievements. He was also there for him through it all and never stopped believing in his son's natural talent and driving abilities. And now people have a problem with his father's arrogant face in the pits amazing!

Lewis,obviously, has a huge belief in his abilities and is not afraid to speak about it. That belief,probably, got him through some tough times in his life. But now it's causing problems for him and according to some people he needs to keep that belief to himself like a dirty little secret. Never mind the fact that,in f1, if you start questioning your abilities, you would immediately be diagnosed with a severe case of "cracking under the pressure" (e.g :Alonso was clearly rattled with Lewis's arrival and he definitely lost some confidence in his abilities - the latter, always dangerous in F1)

And people also say that he isn't patriotic for moving out of england. They have never said anything about Rossi who was under investigation for tax evasion/fraud in his beloved italy ( the evasion : undeclared 60 million euros).

Quote:
Valentino Rossi was handed a £14million broadband bill yesterday after he reached an agreement with the Italian tax authorities only weeks before the start of the new MotoGP season.

The seven-times world champion had been living in London and claiming “British resident non-domiciled” status, but the Italian tax agency smelt a rat when Rossi asked for an internet connection to be installed in his hometown of Tavullia, in the Italian region of Marche. The paper trail led to the local marina where Rossi's 46ft yacht was moored. Eight cars were also found with insurance registered to Rossi or his companies.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3359866.ece

No one has attacked him,called him a cheat, or questioned his patriotism for not paying huge amounts of tax when Italy's economy is in bad shape. What about our patriotic tennis players? They all live in Monte Carlo Monaco or similar....

F1 is a tough(and more often then not) a cruel sport. Lewis is completely equipped to handle it. If you want a humble guy,then back heikki.

Last edited by PeterWolf; 04-10-08 at 01:43.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

I don't get the anti-Hamilton sentiment one jot.

FFS. I like to see racing and overtaking. He's been a breath of fresh air.

Monaco (both years), Spa (both years), Monza (both years).

There's only so many decades you can watch Schumi put some fast laps in before the pit stop window.

Thanks for the Rossi link Peter Wolf, I knew he'd done a deal over tax which facilitated his move back to Italy.

I think the tax exile issue is just an excuse. It's something many British drivers have done before. All of a sudden Hamilton does it and it's an issue?

And anyway, what does Gordon Brown do with our Money. I am not convinced he's any better at spending my money than I am.

I'd like to see him get the drivers championship last year.

I am not sure how Ferrari's moving floor for the first race of 2007 compares with Hamilton passing Kimi at Spa. What advantage did he get? He could have been taken off by that Williams rejoining the track, when Kimi got past him and then Kimi dumped it in the barriers.

No way did Massa deserve 10 points for his drive at Spa.
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg

Member car:

Q5

Lets look at it this way, I would say that most people on this forum are from the UK and surrounds. The same place the dear Lewis Hamilton is from. Its fair to say, he is going to get a great deal of bias comments in his defense.
I don't hate Hamilton, not at all, I actually really enjoy him on the race track. What I can't ****ing stand, is this constant constant bashing of how great, of how astonishing and breathtaking every pass he does, how its never ever ever been done before. His driving is pure sublime, how he is just like Senna, more like Prost with shades of Schumacher, he has what Mansell and Hill never had and blah blah blah...................

Leave him alone................................. let him be the great racing driver he very well could be, and is becoming.

Stop ruining it.

One small question... Why is there such a huge 'hate club' for Lewis?
Just why is that...........................
AO Silver Member

Don`t you just love the media,
and the commentators,
paint a picture sing a great song,
and then
Blast the lad with over persons views comments etc.
For I have no recollection of him,
singing his own praise.

JOHN.

Last edited by ludite; 04-10-08 at 10:37.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason145 View Post

One small question... Why is there such a huge 'hate club' for Lewis?
Just why is that...........................
I don't think his 'hate club' is any bigger than that of Jenson button, Damon Hill or any other recent Brit in F1.

it's just the peculiar way a percentage of Brits view their own successful countrymen.

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason145 View Post
If however Alfa went off and built some serious machinery and won a couple of F1 championships, then its a little different...
If I remember correctly ALFA won the first two F1 world championships, and spawned the Ferrari F1 Team Scuderia.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I don't think his 'hate club' is any bigger than that of Jenson button, Damon Hill or any other recent Brit in F1.

it's just the peculiar way a percentage of Brits view their own successful countrymen.
Unfortunately very true, we Brits (especially the press) do love to build someone up and then at the first sign of success knock 'em down again....

The general populous, however, tend to support a British driver regardless of which team he drives for, whereas Italians support Ferrari regardless of who's behind the wheel....a very different National trait.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex

Im not a Hamilton fan purly because I don't like Maclaren. They should have been kicked out of the last championship and this one after they got caught cheating last year. I am sure the only reason they didn't was because of the way Hamilton had recaptured the UK's love of F1.

Now though he's just like every other top driver. Last year it was a shcok to see a rookie do so well but he had a top car. Now though I really don't see why he is any better or worse than the others.

GO Ferrari GO!

POSTED USING MY IPHONE
AO Member

Drivers come and go out of favour as time goes by, it's just his turn as F1 always has a big bad wolf. Last year it was Alonso, before that it was Scumacher, there will always be one.

I've stopped ready the tabloid nonsense and watch the coverage only, having been to a few F1 races there is no shortage of Hamilton support at the track.

My opinion, once Lewis has finally won a championship I think he has the right to have a view that he is better than some of the others, after all out of the now 20 drivers there are only 2 people who have been a F1 champion. Why, because he's done it and no one can take that away from you.

Never give a monkey a gun!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
hamilton , lewis , popularity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page